The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I feel sorry for you guys, you have to write those long history and english exams and worry about finishing in time. I don't.
As far as I can see it they have an unfair advantage, In real life there is no extra time so why should they get it here?

I guy at my school says 'I can't condense my words into shorter sentences' so he gets and extra time and a Laptop, so when I have to stop he is happily writing away, he even got extra time in Maths....I mean come on, there is not even any writing in maths.

I go to quite a good school but literally more than 25% of people get extra time and I feel they are just playing the system, I suppose I should have done the same!

It makes me mad when I see Extra time people staring into the roof when you are leaving the exam having not had time to check it through.....!
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Posts like this seem to demonstrate ignorance about certain disabilities.

A person's grade shooting up to the very top of the cohort just because they have an extra 30 minutes to write an exam is unlikely. The reason why they're given extra time is because their disability puts them at a disadvantage in comparison to the rest of the students taking the exam. It's not like they're completely fine but just given extra time. Of course some people will get such provision when they're not meant to but that isn't enough to say whole provisions like a reader and laptop should be removed.

Being stupid puts you at a disadvantage but you don't get the answers.....no extra time in real life!
Original post by TheNervousWreck
As far as I can see it they have an unfair advantage, In real life there is no extra time so why should they get it here?

I guy at my school says 'I can't condense my words into shorter sentences' so he gets and extra time and a Laptop, so when I have to stop he is happily writing away, he even got extra time in Maths....I mean come on, there is not even any writing in maths.

I go to quite a good school but literally more than 25% of people get extra time and I feel they are just playing the system, I suppose I should have done the same!

It makes me mad when I see Extra time people staring into the roof when you are leaving the exam having not had time to check it through.....!

I use my extra time to sleep sometimes:biggrin:
Most of the posts on these threads are so ableist and ignorant! It's not an advantage to get extra time etc, it's literally making up for a disadvantage! Okay,admittedly some of the reasons for getting the extra time might be a bit flimsy, but they're still reasons people need extra time that people who don't get extra time don't need to deal with. It doesn't put them at an advantage to others because it's bridging the gap between their disadvantage and other people's lack of disadvantage, so everyone's on even footing and the exams can actually test our intelligence instead of how able we are to sit exams.
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Being stupid puts you at a disadvantage but you don't get the answers.....no extra time in real life!

Exactly my view. I don't have a problem with people getting extra time for genuine medical problems, but I know a guy that get extra time after an 'independent psychological evaluation which shows they couldn't process information' (Not a medical condition, he's actually quite clever just a lazy s*** ). To me that just sounds like they are stupid and it's hardly like a job is going to be happy with him 'needing' 25% extra time to do something they need doing quickly.
Original post by Sentinel01
I use my extra time to sleep sometimes:biggrin:

Lol yes you one of those people!
Original post by NananaBanana
Most of the posts on these threads are so ableist and ignorant! It's not an advantage to get extra time etc, it's literally making up for a disadvantage! Okay,admittedly some of the reasons for getting the extra time might be a bit flimsy, but they're still reasons people need extra time that people who don't get extra time don't need to deal with. It doesn't put them at an advantage to others because it's bridging the gap between their disadvantage and other people's lack of disadvantage, so everyone's on even footing and the exams can actually test our intelligence instead of how able we are to sit exams.

Deliberately being a bit controversial, but is real life fair? Employees and Universities choose people on their ability, a guy who is disadvantaged is not going to get a job over someone who could do it better. Exams are supposed to reflect peoples ability in the subject, not put everyone on an even playing field.
Original post by AdamWats0n
Exactly my view. I don't have a problem with people getting extra time for genuine medical problems, but I know a guy that get extra time after an 'independent psychological evaluation which shows they couldn't process information' (Not a medical condition, he's actually quite clever just a lazy s*** ). To me that just sounds like they are stupid and it's hardly like a job is going to be happy with him 'needing' 25% extra time to do something they need doing quickly.

One guy at my school who will get straight A*'s gets extra time and a laptop because of some stupid reason....he 100% does not deserve it (the extra time)
I know some people who have extra time who finish around the same time as most people do but spent their extra time just checking...
Reply 50
Exams are no test of legibility, if someone has awful handwriting, they should have the right to use a computer. For example, people who write left-handed, have a higher chance of have illegible handwriting, something they can't help, and the only way to improve legibility, would be to slow down their handwriting considerably, meaning that they wouldn't be able to finish the exam which may prompt them (unfairly) to apply for extra time. So in this situation, would you not rather that someone of the same intelligence as you, got to use a computer, instead of be given 25/50% extra time?

No offence but you obviously have no idea what your talking about. Are you aware what it means by processing? It takes TWO processes in order to understand a written question. 1) reading it. 2) understanding what you just read. Some people can't do both at the same time. I have Asperger's and Dyslexia so I'm unable to processes both at the same time so it takes me longer to understand the written question.

BUT I am by no means stupid. I've had several educational psychologist assessments before which have all come out saying I'm bordering on MENSA, but that doesn't stop me taking longer to process things.

Processing has nothing to do with intellect.

p.s Can people PLEASE stop writing about things they don't know about and take a look at all the other posts which explain why they need extra time FIRST!
Reply 52
Deliberately being a bit controversial, but is real life fair? Employees and Universities choose people on their ability, a guy who is disadvantaged is not going to get a job over someone who could do it better. Exams are supposed to reflect peoples ability in the subject, not put everyone on an even playing field.

Universities and Employees don't choose people just on their ability. If Universities/Employees see people with illnesses/disabilities fighting against the adversity of the disability - they actually stand a higher chance in receiving the job/place because it shows that they are hard working etc.
I get extra time, a quiet room and a laptop and by no means am I 'thick' or 'stupid'. I'm going to Exeter in September so having a learning problem in no way shape or form means that you can't excel as far as anyone else.

I have dyspraxia, and I have hearing oversensitivity, so if I am in an exam room with many people all writing at the same time, it's distracting, it puts me off and makes me very anxious. - I find if many people are making noise at the same time, I can't filter out who is speaking and the noise completely overloads everything. (does that make sense?)

I get the use of a laptop because my dyspraxia means I am a slow writer, and my handwriting is atrocious! I use a laptop in all my lessons, as without it i'm unable to keep up with the class while I write notes.

I get extra time because dyspraxia affects the way my brain processes information.

Often, even with these 'advantages' over 'able' students, I barely manage to finish my exam. I've only had 3 exams this year, but in all 3 I either didn't quite manage to finish it, or I didn't have time to read through my answers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lou1411
Universities and Employees don't choose people just on their ability. If Universities/Employees see people with illnesses/disabilities fighting against the adversity of the disability - they actually stand a higher chance in receiving the job/place because it shows that they are hard working etc.

Sure, if it's an illness of dyspraxia then that is fine to get extra time for. But I'm pretty sure if an employee had to choose who to hire, it wouldn't be the guy who required 25 % more time to do something because that just means they have to pay him/her more and wait longer (thus losing profit).
Sure, if it's an illness of dyspraxia then that is fine to get extra time for. But I'm pretty sure if an employee had to choose who to hire, it wouldn't be the guy who required 25 % more time to do something because that just means they have to pay him/her more and wait longer (thus losing profit).

If some one is good at their job then a company really isn't going to care about if you take 5 minutes extra(economic student talking here so i know what I'm talking about).

You also seem to have this odd idea that processing affects everything. For some people it affects reading ability for others it affects the number of people they can to deal with at a time. There's also tests the an employer will run for employee candidates to make sure they're up to the job.
Original post by Devinely
If some one is good at their job then a company really isn't going to care about if you take 5 minutes extra(economic student talking here so i know what I'm talking about).

You also seem to have this odd idea that processing affects everything. For some people it affects reading ability for others it affects the number of people they can to deal with at a time. There's also tests the an employer will run for employee candidates to make sure they're up to the job.

This guy I am talking about claims to need 25% extra time to 'process' literally everything ranging from reading, writing, maths, communicating. He is also adamant it is not a medical problem.

It's also not really a matter of 5 minutes, say he was told to write a contract or something by the end of the day, but because he needs extra time it takes until the next day and the company misses out on the sale. Why would I (as an employer) hire him if I could instead of someone else?
Reply 57

yes, but that's my point - most people that require extra time/laptops, require it for a reason - be it a mental illness such as anxiety, a cognitive illness such as autism, or a physical illness. Employers are not going to discount an applicant if they have one of the above, as it is discrimination.
Original post by lou1411
yes, but that's my point - most people that require extra time/laptops, require it for a reason - be it a mental illness such as anxiety, a cognitive illness such as autism, or a physical illness. Employers are not going to discount an applicant if they have one of the above, as it is discrimination.

Agree with you on autism and physical illness. Anxiety over exams just has to be dealt with in my opinion, everyone gets stressed but most people manage.

Employment laws are not my speciality, but it would seem reasonable to not hire a disabled person for a job such as a fireman or someone with anxiety who breaks down every other day as a manager. If they can do the job well but you don't hire them anyway, then that's discrimination, but not hiring them because they aren't suitable for the job is okay.

Extra time to be seems to be trying to make it fair for everyone, which isn't an accurate reflection of the world. People will not hire you if you aren't as good as someone else, there is no extra time, scribes or other support in a job.

You speak as if real life and school are completely different things :wink:
No, (what you call) real life often isn't fair. I'm not quite sure how that has anything to with exams to be honest, why should the unfairness of 'real life' mean people should have to deal with unfairness in school? So unis and employers may choose advantaged people over disadvantaged, but why in the world should that effect how school exams work? And anyway, like someone before me said, a lot of the time exceptions are made for people with disadvantages. 'Exams are supposed to reflect people's ability in a subject, not put people on an even playing field' that's quite contradictory. How are exams supposed to accurately reflect our ability on a subject if people aren't given an even playing field? You can be incredible at a subject but have disadvantages related to exams and not to the actual subject that means in the exam you'll do worse, and so the exam won't reflect your ability in the subject.

The fact that people are actually arguing against extra time etc when they don't have to deal with the reasons people get extra time is kind of disgusting. People who don't get extra time have privilege that people who do get extra time do not, and have no right to say people without that privilege shouldn't get extra measures to help put them on equal footing with the majority of people. They can't help having the problems that cause them to need extra measures.

Latest