The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNervousWreck
Yes, Obviously it is jealousy you extra time to do the bloody exams, of course I am going to be jealous. You have completely disproved your point by saying that you think it's jealousy as if it was so bad having the disability you have why would anyone be jealous!

You're jealous because you're ignorant. If you actually were given the choice of suffering a life-long mental illness or learning disorder and having extra exam time, or not having the illness, I think we know what you'd choose.

Don't blame your own ****ty exam performance on other people.
Original post by A*Will
I have recently noticed there is a huge number of people in my school, whom have the ability to sit their exam in a completely different hall and gain extra time, scribes and readers. Also some people are able to do their exam on the computer instead! Should all exams not be done in the same conditions to make it a 'fair test?'
Also surely with some exams ie. English language - testing your READING SKILLS should mean you should not be able to have a reader!
A friend of mine made a comment saying 'surely if you need a scribe (not having recently damaged your arm) or reader in an English exam then you have already failed' - I partially agree. What are your comments?

Depends whether you think that exams should test performance or competence. In other words, does having no hands mean you're not competent at English? No, it doesn't. But it would make it bloody hard to perform well in an exam without a scribe.

Currently, exam boards take the view that they're testing competence rather than performance, and given that they're the ones administering the tests in the first place I'm inclined to go their way.

That said, some people get the benefit of these measures without really needing it, and that needs to be monitored more closely.
(edited 9 years ago)
To be fair, if it is an English exam and you cannot spell then you should really be at a disadvantage!

Not really. Spelling is a small part of English exams. There are brilliant dyslexic people who would otherwise be at a disadvantage getting employment if there were judged on a symptom of their disorder.
Reply 83
I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic, I got 25% extra time plus 15mins to read the paper (no writing during that time) and was given the option to use a computer but never did. For essays I got a proof reader. For exams I got a note on my paper saying I can't loose marks for spelling or grammar. The educational psychologist also suggested if I get a lower than predicted mark I should be given a verbal test but my uni never approved it. If I didn't get these things I'm entirely sure I wouldn't have gotten a degree.

It has nothing to do with intelligence and it's not about ability either. It's about the way they access ability not being appropriate for the way my brain works. Exams and essays about demonstrating your knowledge/understanding. They way they are done and how they are marked might not be perfect but they are designed to give people an effective way of doing that demonstration. For people with certain disabilities it's just not at all an effective way for them to demonstrate knowledge/understanding so adjustments are made. The adjustments aren't perfect either but they make it more reasonable.

Different people experience disabilities differently, but for me it's thing like:
My thoughts are non-linear, you can get away with that more when speaking but when writing a factual essay not so much. It's like a film where the timeline jumps about, that's how the structure of essays come to me and it makes total sense to me. But I need to put it into regular time line so that takes me more time than someone who doesn't.

I can't process written letters into the meaning it conveys as quickly or accurately as a non-dyslexic person. Misreading one word in a question could totally change your understanding of it and result in answering wrongly. For most people that'd be a silly mistake but for me it's pretty much expected to happen regularly. So if I have 15mins to read the questions and nothing else to focus on, no option to be tempted to just get on with it, then I can read them several times to ensure I know what each word is.

When I read my own writing back I don't see the mistakes. Part of my adaptation to be able to read at the expected level well is my brain fills in blanks of what should be there by guessing to make it make sense when what the immediate processing of the text doesn't make sense. It's not something I'm aware of doing, it just happens, it's a subconscious part of how I read. But then when In read my own work it's like my brain has auto-corrected so I'm practically unable to see the mistakes in my spelling and grammar. It's not even that I don't know what is right or wrong, I do, but even that took me longer to learn than most because of the not seeing . So if a proof reader reads my essay then they can see these things and tell me what's wrong with it.

I can't see how there's anything unfair about me having those.

I also don't think you should go around saying certain people don't deserve the adjustment because you don't know what's going on in their head. I wasn't diagnosed until I got to uni, I got good grades in everything up until Higher English which is when my disadvantages weren't just over came by being intelligent enough to do the work anyway. But those grades weren't the best grades I could have got or the grades I really deserved no matter how good they were. It's not about people being able to do well, it's about giving people a fair opportunity to achieve their potential. Yet if I were diagnosed early then it would have been easy for people to see me as getting unfair advantage because I never came across as obviously someone with learning disabilities- all of my teachers never referred me for assessment.

The people who decide who gets what adjustments know what they are doing- assuming no school/exam board is daft enough to let someone unqualified decide- and disabilities aren't essay to fake because they are more complex than some list of indicators. Sure human error happens in everything but just because you don't see why it's justified doesn't mean it isn't.
Original post by JordanL_
You're jealous because you're ignorant. If you actually were given the choice of suffering a life-long mental illness or learning disorder and having extra exam time, or not having the illness, I think we know what you'd choose.

Don't blame your own ****ty exam performance on other people.

I don't have a problem with people that actually do have a disability having extra time I was just making a point.

However it very much annoying me when people play the system, people who clearly don't need it get and I think that is unfair, didn't mean to start a bloody war.
Not really. Spelling is a small part of English exams. There are brilliant dyslexic people who would otherwise be at a disadvantage getting employment if there were judged on a symptom of their disorder.

So surely everyone should just get spell check then, I don't have dyslexia but I still make mistakes and I will get marked down for this, If everyone had spell check it would be a level playing field!
Surely anyone who cannot finish the paper should be allowed extra time as this main reason people get extra time anyway. If you were able to finish you wouldn't want extra time (unless it's an essay subject)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BKS
I'm dyslexic and dyspraxic, I got 25% extra time plus 15mins to read the paper (no writing during that time) and was given the option to use a computer but never did. For essays I got a proof reader. For exams I got a note on my paper saying I can't loose marks for spelling or grammar. The educational psychologist also suggested if I get a lower than predicted mark I should be given a verbal test but my uni never approved it. If I didn't get these things I'm entirely sure I wouldn't have gotten a degree.

It has nothing to do with intelligence and it's not about ability either. It's about the way they access ability not being appropriate for the way my brain works. Exams and essays about demonstrating your knowledge/understanding. They way they are done and how they are marked might not be perfect but they are designed to give people an effective way of doing that demonstration. For people with certain disabilities it's just not at all an effective way for them to demonstrate knowledge/understanding so adjustments are made. The adjustments aren't perfect either but they make it more reasonable.

Different people experience disabilities differently, but for me it's thing like:
My thoughts are non-linear, you can get away with that more when speaking but when writing a factual essay not so much. It's like a film where the timeline jumps about, that's how the structure of essays come to me and it makes total sense to me. But I need to put it into regular time line so that takes me more time than someone who doesn't.

I can't process written letters into the meaning it conveys as quickly or accurately as a non-dyslexic person. Misreading one word in a question could totally change your understanding of it and result in answering wrongly. For most people that'd be a silly mistake but for me it's pretty much expected to happen regularly. So if I have 15mins to read the questions and nothing else to focus on, no option to be tempted to just get on with it, then I can read them several times to ensure I know what each word is.

When I read my own writing back I don't see the mistakes. Part of my adaptation to be able to read at the expected level well is my brain fills in blanks of what should be there by guessing to make it make sense when what the immediate processing of the text doesn't make sense. It's not something I'm aware of doing, it just happens, it's a subconscious part of how I read. But then when In read my own work it's like my brain has auto-corrected so I'm practically unable to see the mistakes in my spelling and grammar. It's not even that I don't know what is right or wrong, I do, but even that took me longer to learn than most because of the not seeing . So if a proof reader reads my essay then they can see these things and tell me what's wrong with it.

I can't see how there's anything unfair about me having those.

I also don't think you should go around saying certain people don't deserve the adjustment because you don't know what's going on in their head. I wasn't diagnosed until I got to uni, I got good grades in everything up until Higher English which is when my disadvantages weren't just over came by being intelligent enough to do the work anyway. But those grades weren't the best grades I could have got or the grades I really deserved no matter how good they were. It's not about people being able to do well, it's about giving people a fair opportunity to achieve their potential. Yet if I were diagnosed early then it would have been easy for people to see me as getting unfair advantage because I never came across as obviously someone with learning disabilities- all of my teachers never referred me for assessment.

The people who decide who gets what adjustments know what they are doing- assuming no school/exam board is daft enough to let someone unqualified decide- and disabilities aren't essay to fake because they are more complex than some list of indicators. Sure human error happens in everything but just because you don't see why it's justified doesn't mean it isn't.

Obviously you are not playing the system and It is not unfair but there are people who don't have anything wrong and get extra time, thats what annoys me!
So surely everyone should just get spell check then, I don't have dyslexia but I still make mistakes and I will get marked down for this, If everyone had spell check it would be a level playing field!

If you make a mistake it's because you haven't learned to spell. People with dyslexia will inevitably make spelling mistakes because they can't learn to spell. It's about assessing people on their ability to learn rather than what they know.
I think it is fair, because in real life people aren't made to do full on tests in jobs. It's the exams that aren't fair - they are a poor test of intelligence and skill. They test memory which in job situations, you can look stuff up etc. so don't really need an amazing exam memory.

But as most things in life, they are a hoop to jump through...
If you make a mistake it's because you haven't learned to spell. People with dyslexia will inevitably make spelling mistakes because they can't learn to spell. It's about assessing people on their ability to learn rather than what they know.

Then how can you asses SPAG if it is completely discounted?

Oh and about performing ****ty in the exams.....we will wait and see!
(edited 9 years ago)

But some people are simply better at spelling than others. If someone got an A* in maths and someone else got a C you wouldn't say it's because you haven't learned to do it. It's more of a spectrum of abilities rather than 'you can spell and you can't' so surely people who are just bad at spelling should be allowed extra time to check as they will loose marks and have to think about it while writing an essay when some people just don't loose marks at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Equality is about treating people to be equal, NOT treating everybody the same.
Take this example. If someone's on a wheelchair and needs to get up a building, you can't expect them to walk the stairs because they just can't. They need a lift built for them so they can reach the upper floor. In the end, both the person in a wheelchair and the person who's not disabled get to the top of the building, even though they got different treatments.

So some people do need the extra time in exams, like dyslexic kids, to be able to get a good grade at all. It may seem unfair but be glad that you don't have any condition that requires you extra time. It really does suck.
Anyway in the grand scheme of things this is really a first world problem, so lets not start a war!
Reply 94
Now I'm all for equal opportunities, but I do wonder in high pressure job roles, just how many people that need extra time perform.
Well you too are talking a load of balls.
I have anxiety,insomnia and depression, however I never even thought to mention this to anyone to receive some kind of additional support from it when in reality no one is going to want a loony on the job or someone who can't handle lots of people, and feels insecure. Most employers look for confident passionate friendly people am I right? So any disorder is exactly what it is, a disorder, and in terms of work, disorder is shunned upon, even though it is "discrimination and wrong" telling them you're sad, or anxious won't get you anywhere and it happens.
I applied for extra time and got rejected, like I said I have all these "disadvantages" (I have an inflamed bladder, anaemia and I collapse and faint and awful lot and have missed months of school.) however I don't see it quite like a disadvantage when I don't get extra support yet still get A*s so they don't hinder my results it just improves my tolerance, as I don't sit like a baby expecting everyone to spoon feed me all my life.
I'm pretty sure if I tell people I get no support for my issues and still succeed, in my eyes it shows that I'm more hardworking and independent than someone who does? So technically I'm at an advantage as I have achieved without all this support.
That's how I feel.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by heatheragmcd
I have anxiety,insomnia and depression, however I never even thought to mention this to anyone to receive some kind of additional support from it when in reality no one is going to want a loony on the job or someone who can't handle lots of people, and feels insecure. Most employers look for confident passionate friendly people am I right? So any disorder is exactly what it is, a disorder, and in terms of work, disorder is shunned upon, even though it is "discrimination and wrong" telling them you're sad, or anxious won't get you anywhere and it happens.
I applied for extra time and got rejected, like I said I have all these "disadvantages" (I have an inflamed bladder, anaemia and I collapse and faint and awful lot and have missed months of school.) however I don't see it quite like a disadvantage when I don't get extra support yet still get A*s so they don't hinder my results it just improves my tolerance, as I don't sit like a baby expecting everyone to spoon feed me all my life.
I'm pretty sure if I tell people I get no support for my issues and still succeed, in my eyes it shows that I'm more hardworking and independent than someone who does? So technically I'm at an advantage as I have achieved without all this support.
That's how I feel.

When you have all these problems....does it not annoying you when people who are clearly fine get extra time?
When you have all these problems....does it not annoying you when people who are clearly fine get extra time?

It's absolutely infuriating but I just think good luck to them, because they won't always get that help, no point living a lie!
Original post by kaytaylou
I think extra time and laptops are necessary for some people to achieve but the way the time seems to be given out is terrible!

My cousin is colour blind and he doesnt get any extra time. He really struggled in a geography exam (I think it was a geography exam anyway!) which required him to look at something to do with colours. He is too modest tk admit his colour blindness to anyone but in that exam he really could have done with the extra time. In other exams, he was fine. On the other hand, there are people who get extra time who really don't need it. A girl I know who is a lot smarter than me who got all As and A*s in her mocks with no extra time at that point, even admitted she didn't need some of the time, especially in maths and so on. I'm good at writing quickly so I don't have any problem with not using a laptop but in maths, I could really do with extra time, but I know I don't deserve it. So why should people who don't deserve it either and are perfectly capable to do the exam with everyone else get more time than me and other candidates such as my cousin who is intelligent but struggles with small things like colour blindness?

I think having a reader and a scribe is perfectly fair for people who need them. I know in my school who those people are and you can clearly tell the ones who don't need the extra time (boast about it to everyone else, etc) and the ones that do (slightly embarrassed that they need the extra time and can't do the exam with everyone else)

I 100% agree with this, the people that show of that they have extra time make me mad, but I also agree that some people really do need it.

About your cousin who was colourblind, I don't think an extra 15 minutes would have made him be able to see colours any better, he should have told the invigilator!

But how many of them have become famous authors, journalists or English teachers?

I disagree. Exams assess students on what they know (although I do agree it should assess people on their ability to learn). Even if you're extremely smart, but you don't know a fact which helps you answer a question, you're not going to be given special consideration for that question just because you have demonstrated that you're a logical thinker on other questions. Having said that though, I can't see a way which would competently test how well people learn, especially since different student's school environment (such as quality of teaching) is different too.

Original post by heatheragmcd
That's how I feel.

You're fully entitled to feel that, because it's admirable that you've managed to get A*s despite numerous medical conditions. I can't remember who posted the comment about employers liking disadvantaged people 'working past their disadvantage', but surely that's not true if they get extra time? Because many people have been saying that the extra time/reader/scribe/laptop/whatever puts them on a level playing field, so actually they aren't disadvantaged at all if that's the case.

Latest