The Student Room Group

GCSE Requirements Query

If You don't meet the GCSE requirement in a subject, for example they want a B in Maths but you got a C, if you have a A in Maths at A-level will they maintain the B at GCSE as a requirement or will they accept the A-level?

I'd think it is logical they take the A-level grade as an indicator of ability instead but is that actually the case or will they still adhere to the GCSE requirements?

Thank you for any help.
Original post by Tom357
If You don't meet the GCSE requirement in a subject, for example they want a B in Maths but you got a C, if you have a A in Maths at A-level will they maintain the B at GCSE as a requirement or will they accept the A-level?

I'd think it is logical they take the A-level grade as an indicator of ability instead but is that actually the case or will they still adhere to the GCSE requirements?

Thank you for any help.
i'm afraid they usually mean the GCSE is essential.
They invariably do mean that the GCSE is essential, though your case is relatively unusual to the point that it's probably worth emailing the department. However, if you've got an A at A Level you should be able to repeat the GCSE and get a much higher grade with minimal effort

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
A Levels and GCSEs cover different material. Having an A Level does not show that you know the GCSE topics, so doesn't override the GCSE requirement. For example, in the GCSE course you cover pythagoras and trigonometry, but at A Level you could take decision maths which teaches you nothing about triangles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending