The Student Room Group

How important are GCSEs for medicine?

Hi
I'm planning on applying for medicine, I'm doing IB so we only have predicted grades, and mine are
HL Bio 6, Chem 7, Latin 7 and SL Maths Studies 7, Philosophy 7, English 6/7
We dont have our core point predictions (TOk, EE) but I am expceting overall a prediction of around 43/45 which exceeds the entry requirements for medicine, cambridge ask for 40/41

My GCSEs however were 6A*s and 3As, and I am particularly worried as i got an A in maths, and A A* in double science,
Looking at the GCSE requirements, especially for unis like oxford, where the average applicant has like 10A*s etc, would these gcse results negatively affect my chances of getting into a top medical school? Especially as I am doing IB so they may be more focused on gcse results than if i had a set of AS results to show, even though my IB predicted grades are above the entry requirements.
Also the fact that i am doing maths studies (none of the unis specify SL maths, but maths studies IS the easier option, would that also make me seem like a weak applicant?)

In short, do you think realistically it is worth me applying to oxford or cambridge?

Thank you
You have some excellent GCSE results, 6A* and 3A!!! I know people with 3A* who applied to Oxbridge...
Original post by rachel479
Hi
I'm planning on applying for medicine, I'm doing IB so we only have predicted grades, and mine are
We dont have our core point predictions (TOk, EE) but I am expceting overall a prediction of around 43/45 which exceeds the entry requirements for medicine, cambridge ask for 40/41

My GCSEs however were 6A*s and 3As, and I am particularly worried as i got an A in maths, and A A* in double science,
Looking at the GCSE requirements, especially for unis like oxford, where the average applicant has like 10A*s etc, would these gcse results negatively affect my chances of getting into a top medical school? Especially as I am doing IB so they may be more focused on gcse results than if i had a set of AS results to show, even though my IB predicted grades are above the entry requirements.
Also the fact that i am doing maths studies (none of the unis specify SL maths, but maths studies IS the easier option, would that also make me seem like a weak applicant?)

In short, do you think realistically it is worth me applying to oxford or cambridge?

Thank you

In terms of medicine applications, you can't consider Oxford and Cambridge on the same basis because they have different ways of assessing applicants. Oxford want very good GCSE grades, for which 6A*s sadly wouldn't be sufficient. Cambridge, on the other hand, considers applicants on the basis of AS (or equivalent) grades - on the basis of your predicted IB you might do quite well here. You need to look at the individual requirements of all the schools and see which ones would consider you a good applicant. Birmingham would be one to avoid without an A* in Maths, for example.
Original post by rachel479
Hi

Thank you

I think you would be better applying for Cambridge rather than Oxford. Oxford uses GCSEs and BMAT to decide who to interview - there are stats on the website, but I don't think your GCSEs would give you a very good chance there.
Reply 4
Thanks very much for the advice, I really appreciate it
...do you think Cambridge would be put off by the maths studies though? I know they are very keen on sciences etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending