Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Does anyone know what kind of SAT scores you need to get for UC Berkeley to stand a good chance....I can't seem to find it anywhere...

ReputationRep:
    How on earth are you going to afford $23,000 a year?
    Anyway Princeton Review has it at 1324
    http://www.princetonreview.com/colle...1023370&LTID=1

ReputationRep:
    Thats a 1986 on the New SAT; surprisingly low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    How on earth are you going to afford $23,000 a year?
    http://www.princetonreview.com/colle...1023370&LTID=1
    It's actually $18k a year. I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting much aid though, since it's a state (i.e. controlled in large part by the government) school.

ReputationRep:
    I was going via approximation as it's $23,000 at the UC I'm going to attend but, looking slightly more closesly, it does appear to be $18,000. Still a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    I was going via approximation as it's $23,000 at the UC I'm going to attend but, looking slightly more closesly, it does appear to be $18,000. Still a lot of money.
    It's a lot of money, but it costs half as much as most other schools with the same prestige.

ReputationRep:
    On a poster in my counselor's office, the new SAT score was listed in more of the 1950-2050 range (I don't remember the exact).

ReputationRep:
    It's not all about SATs though, keep that in mind.

Yeah, public universities in the US aren't like universities in the UK, they don't try to take more people who are out of state or international just to get more money from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    It's not all about SATs though, keep that in mind.

Yeah, public universities in the US aren't like universities in the UK, they don't try to take more people who are out of state or international just to get more money from them.
    They even rejected yours truly. Since it's a public college and paid for by Cali funds, Cali students don't face the same strict criteria as the rest.

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    My ex boyfriend is from California, he was rejected by UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD but accepted to Stanford and Brown!

ReputationRep:
    UC admissions were really really random this year, a complete crapshoot. SAT scores for UC Berkeley are high enough for in state students, they must be astronomical for out of state. Plus they way over-admitted this year, my friends have gone through hell trying to get classes and sort out accommodation, I have no idea if this will affect next year's admissions. Uh ... not to put you off it or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    ^^
    My ex boyfriend is from California, he was rejected by UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD but accepted to Stanford and Brown!
    Maybe the private colleges care less about grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Maybe the private colleges care less about grades?
    No, it's because the UCs have some ridiculous system where you can't get into any of the top three UCs unless you are in the top 5-10% of your class at a public (i.e. state) school. My ex went to a magnet school for talented students. Not being in the top 10% didn't mean much, as he still had an excellent GPA. But thanks to UC's admissions process, he didn't make the cut. Makes no sense in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys!

ReputationRep:
    UC Berk is around 40 thousand a year if you factor in living expenses:

http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/...88&profileId=2

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.