The Student Room Group

Need History MA advice

Hi all, I am meant to be starting a History MA at the end of this month at UCL. However, recently I have been having doubts as the module selection was just released and the available options for me really do not interest me. I’ve been in contact with my old university where I study my undergraduate, Queen Mary University of London, and because I achieved a First Class undergraduate they would guarantee to me a place if I were to transfer. Their course is far more research focused unliked the taught masters course at UCL, and will give me the ability to study topics that I am more interested in.

My query is if I should switch? UCL is the more prestigious university of the two and has great reputation. And I want to pursue a PhD following my MA and hopefully a career in History academia, so im not sure if UCL would give me a better shot. However, QM Ma alumni has included those who have become lectures at LSE and UC Berkeley. I would also enjoy the QM course more, and it would be more affordable too.

So should I stick it out with UCL for the year or do the switch?
Original post by Alexty28
Hi all, I am meant to be starting a History MA at the end of this month at UCL. However, recently I have been having doubts as the module selection was just released and the available options for me really do not interest me. I’ve been in contact with my old university where I study my undergraduate, Queen Mary University of London, and because I achieved a First Class undergraduate they would guarantee to me a place if I were to transfer. Their course is far more research focused unliked the taught masters course at UCL, and will give me the ability to study topics that I am more interested in.

My query is if I should switch? UCL is the more prestigious university of the two and has great reputation. And I want to pursue a PhD following my MA and hopefully a career in History academia, so im not sure if UCL would give me a better shot. However, QM Ma alumni has included those who have become lectures at LSE and UC Berkeley. I would also enjoy the QM course more, and it would be more affordable too.

So should I stick it out with UCL for the year or do the switch?

Your whole post screams "switch!" (If you can without incurring significant costs...)
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Your whole post screams "switch!" (If you can without incurring significant costs...)

Yeah pretty much 😅. The only thing that is really making contemplate the decision at the moment is I don’t want to “downgrade” universities if it will effect my future prospects. Otherwise there would be no debate.
Reply 3
It won't make a significant difference to your PhD prospects
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
It won't make a significant difference to your PhD prospects

No significant difference but still a difference? All I am worried about is possibly closing certain doors for my future prospects, or maybe overthinking based on university rankings.
Reply 5
Original post by Alexty28
No significant difference but still a difference? All I am worried about is possibly closing certain doors for my future prospects, or maybe overthinking based on university rankings.

The odd uppity supervisor might have a bias, but honestly it is so rare now that irs basically lore rather than fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending