The Student Room Group

Msc Finance in UK - Profile evaluation

Dear all,

I am planning to pursue Msc Finance in a good UK university with the purpose of finding a job in UK in Asset Management or Hedge Fund.

Below is my profile :

Under : 3-year-Bachelor degree in Finance from an average Australia university .Gpa : 3.3/4.0 graduate with Distinction
Honours Year (the additional 4th year for high-achieved students to do a thesis) in Finance from a Group of 8 (top 8 universities in Australia) . First Class honours, Dean's list honor (normally for top 2% undergraduate students)

GMAT : 750 (Q50, V42)

Working exp : 1 year corporate finance in a Fortune 500 company as Business Analyst
2 year as investment officer from a top local asset management company.

Passed CFA level 2.
Fluent in English and French, apart from native language.

Could you please take a look at my profile and tell me whether a have a chance at : Oxford, HEC, LSE (Accounting and Finance), Imperial (Msc Finance), Warwick.

I highly appreciate any helps you can provide.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I am still looking for your advice.
If I stay a chance at these programs, I will prepare applications for the next intake. Otherwise, I will keep working for a few year then heading to a MBA
Reply 2
I’m not sure what you want to hear. You have realistic chances at all of the listed programmes but nothing guaranteed. Admissions are always about luck if you are not a star among stars.

I don’t, however, see a reason to take this route. All of the programmes are pre-experience (with exception of Ox which is semi-pre) and will only lead you to jobs you are already qualified for. You already have experience in the fields you want to transfer to so there is very little you could possibly learn at these programmes. MBA would take you 1 step above these masters and you already have enough experience for it. You should rather be looking at post-experience masters (e.g. the one at MIT) if you want pure finance master.

I doubt that there is anyone on this forum, who is working in finance and is as experienced as you are, so take it with a bit of salt (wallstreetoasis maybe?) .
Reply 3
Thank you so much for your post.

Actually, all I need in Msc Finance degree in UK is the networking opportunity as well as school brand name on my CV which can boost my chance to find a job in London in the field I am passionate about.

I agree with you the these programs I mentioned are pre-experience. However, I just thought that these programs may be easier to gain admission compared with Cambridge or LBS programs, because my WE is just 3 years, and taken in my local country which I think is not good enough to compete with other candidates who are currently working in Europe.

Besides, I know there are some Msc Finance in US don't require WE but value WE in applications as an advantage. Could you please suggest me some programs that have high reputations with top recruiters in London?

Again, thanks so much for your help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
If it’s just for the sake of networking nothing can beat living in London => LSE, Imperial or Cass should be the best choices. It is probably the most expensive way to get a job (+-40k in living costs and fees + opportunity costs).

If I were you I would probably finish CFA and try finding a job without the master. The degree will be completely useless for you within one or two years into your career. Try taping into network of your ex-colleagues and alumni of your school. If you’re from less represented nationality in London even cold emailing your nationals could help.

MBA is much more suited for you and should give you better career prospects and networking opportunities. Try to take a look at Insead or LBS. It should be fine to apply with 3+ years of experience. You could just try applying there. The costs of trying are minimal in comparison to one wasted year or the fees for the programme itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending