The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1
Danica
im starting management sciences in sept i was wondering if anyone knew how many hours of lectures a week we ll have and how many early starts?

lol, dont knoe but you will have at least 1 early start. in semester 1 on my course i had an early start everyday, err except thursday morning when i had a 10.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Timetable won't be sorted for a bit i don't think, it wouldn't be too many - as in not shed loads! Early starts aren't all that bad, i'd rather start early then have a 5 o'clock!!

-x-
is all engineering like that ? :frown: i would imagine so due to it being so hard , but id rather start later and finish later so i can have a few more hours in bed and rush out 10 mins b4 lectures
Reply 4
I know Dan (dhutch) had a pretty full timetable, i think 22 hours, he did mechanical engineering (prob come along and tell me thats all wrong, lol!)

-x-
Reply 5
varies, A LOT, between courses.

drama do like a quarter of an hour a week (excuse the hyperbole)

my first year was the busiest in terms of lectures by far, i think about 23 hours a week.
Reply 6
about 15 hours lecture time per week. I do international business so a lot of the modules are the same as urs
Reply 7
chemenglloyd
is all engineering like that ? :frown: i would imagine so due to it being so hard , but id rather start later and finish later so i can have a few more hours in bed and rush out 10 mins b4 lectures

hey mate, from your name you seem to wanna do chem eng. you guys are lucky :angry: my mate who im also living with this year off campus does chem eng and he had 10 or 11 everyday in semester 1 but you will have loads of 5 or 6 o'clcoks haha. in semester 2 you will have 9 o'clocks as we couldnt wait for him to cos he kept having a good lie in every morning, lol. but it meant 11 more person to share the shower with in the morning. i lived in falk egg and it was a shower to a block of 8. good luck if you all have a 9am. lol. was bad in our block cos we were all doing engineering and some days was bad shower wise.
Reply 8
andyj72
hey mate, from your name you seem to wanna do chem eng. you guys are lucky :angry: my mate who im also living with this year off campus does chem eng and he had 10 or 11 everyday in semester 1 but you will have loads of 5 or 6 o'clcoks haha. in semester 2 you will have 9 o'clocks as we couldnt wait for him to cos he kept having a good lie in every morning, lol. but it meant 11 more person to share the shower with in the morning. i lived in falk egg and it was a shower to a block of 8. good luck if you all have a 9am. lol. was bad in our block cos we were all doing engineering and some days was bad shower wise.

hmm....is it wrong that I chose my third year lectures so I wouldnt have had a 9 oclock my whole time at uni? i mean I wanted to do the options as well, but that definately persuaded me....hehehe....but im one of those slacker PIRES students. oh, and drama people do have a lot less hours, but the time they have to put in rehersals and reading and general meeting up-ness wise certainly takes big chunks out of their free time, i didnt see my best mate for weeks on end last year when she had a big piece of work in!! but still...no exams...cant be bad...!
Zo x
Reply 9
ZoeD
hmm....is it wrong that I chose my third year lectures so I wouldnt have had a 9 oclock my whole time at uni? i mean I wanted to do the options as well, but that definately persuaded me....hehehe....but im one of those slacker PIRES students. oh, and drama people do have a lot less hours, but the time they have to put in rehersals and reading and general meeting up-ness wise certainly takes big chunks out of their free time, i didnt see my best mate for weeks on end last year when she had a big piece of work in!! but still...no exams...cant be bad...!
Zo x

lol, well its good at least you dont have to get up early you can say that afterwards hehe. i know what you mean about some people who have less lectures but have to do more stuff in their own time like drama and art students. slackers still :smile: not having exams are not the best i think, because it means that your coursework and other work has to be top notch. its not like us that use c/w to fall back on if exams dont go to plan :wink:

do art foundation students have lectures?, im pretty sure i saw loads of art foundation students going out for every hey ewe, rock night and FND. cos it seems they have loads of time off, i may be wrong tho.
They have 9-5 every day!!! With 1hr off for lunch and soooometimes Wednesdays off! But they do basically all the work during the day, so no work to do on evenings and things... Girl opposite me was on the course, saw her in the morning then at dinner, lol

-x-
Reply 11
baby_emmy
I know Dan (dhutch) had a pretty full timetable, i think 22 hours, he did mechanical engineering (prob come along and tell me thats all wrong, lol!)

-x-

No no, its all right.
- Buts its all good, 22hours is a nice number, lol!

It can be a little un-funny at times, like the fact i had more lectures on monday that most of my block had in a week. But you get used to it!

Come christmas i had only missed on lecture, and that was to do our online math test, which i had forgoten to do earlyer! (we had to start before a set time, which was dueing said lecture.)

I think 6/8hours is about average for most coarses tho?

Daniel
Reply 12
6 hours a week? Blimey.
Reply 13
surely not

most courses have a 2 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial per module per week.

so around 18 hours usually.
Reply 14
andyj72
Do art foundation students have lectures?, im pretty sure i saw loads of art foundation students going out for every hey ewe, rock night and FND. cos it seems they have loads of time off, i may be wrong tho.

No, not as such...

They have long hours doing art stuff tho, like 9.30 though till the afternoon.

Its a little flexable, although they do have to turn upto atleast 85% of them, or something like that.

Daniel
If you do SEFS you have a stupid amount of lectures... not many turn up to them mind you...

-x-
on the topic of missing lectures , what happens if you do , cos i know i have to miss 2 days in november cos of a brass thing ive got to go to
Reply 17
chemenglloyd
on the topic of missing lectures , what happens if you do , cos i know i have to miss 2 days in november cos of a brass thing ive got to go to

No biggy missing lectures really. Altho the lecturers will tell you that the correlation between attendance and achievement is very high, as proved by me in both 1st and and 2nd year... low attendance = poor achievement
But if you HAVE to take a couple of days off then you could tel your lecturers and they'll be cool with it.
Reply 18
Yeah, you can skip lectures veeerrryyyy easly as and when you want. Its a very slippary slope to year-failer...

No one really says anything about it, and 9 times out of 10 they wont even notice!

Thats basicaly half the point of, its upto you, you make your own decisions.
- You supposted to be there because you want to learn, and be self-motivated etc.
- It not like school where they send letters home if you miss hwk, and your dad waking you up when your about to miss the bus!

But its very true, certianly on more intence caouses, that attndance is vital if your going to acctally pass they year.
- Thats how most people fail, becuase they dont have the self-organision and self-dissaplin to actally get there!

Daniel
On SEFS, we had to sign into every lecture, if you didn't turn up to any Les (head of dep) would send emails to the head of the course you plan to go onto the following year... still didn't stop people though!!

-x-

Latest

Trending

Trending