The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Biochemistry Student- Ask Me Anything!

Hi Everyone!
My name is Sofia and I am going into my 3rd Year as an MBiolSci Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield! Please ask me any questions you have about studying here at Sheffield. This could include questions about courses in the School of Biosciences, accommodation choices etc... :smile:

Sofia (MBiolSci Biochemistry)
Reply 1
Hi sofia, i’m starting the MbiolSci Biochemistry course come September. I was curious about how you find the workload for the course and how busy timetable is? Are the lectures interestingly set out and do you enjoy them? And are there any preparations academic wise that are beneficial before starting in September?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi Everyone!
My name is Sofia and I am going into my 3rd Year as an MBiolSci Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield! Please ask me any questions you have about studying here at Sheffield. This could include questions about courses in the School of Biosciences, accommodation choices etc... :smile:

Are there any people on your course fit whom it was their second choice as they wanted medicine/dentistry? If so, have they enjoyed the course? What grades did you need?
Original post by kaiakrion
Hi sofia, i’m starting the MbiolSci Biochemistry course come September. I was curious about how you find the workload for the course and how busy timetable is? Are the lectures interestingly set out and do you enjoy them? And are there any preparations academic wise that are beneficial before starting in September?

Hi kaiakrion,
In first and second year, I usually had 2-3 lectures per module and a lab session every week. This left plenty of time to complete coursework and write up notes. My advice is to create a clear plan of what you want to achieve each week eg: I am going to write up this lecture and complete X number of words of my essay. I found this helped to break down my workload into smaller, more manageable chunks. I have really enjoyed studying Biochemistry at Sheffield, it is such an interesting field of science :smile:. In terms of preparations, I found a good knowledge of the amino acids and their structures/properties to be very beneficial to my understanding of the course content.
Good luck for September,
Sofia
Hi Everyone!

hello sofia,
I just want to ask how many people were in your flat / living / sharing with in your first year? Also , in your lectures was it packed ?
Original post by lionelmessi34
hello sofia,
I just want to ask how many people were in your flat / living / sharing with in your first year? Also , in your lectures was it packed ?

Hi lionelmessi34,
In first year, I lived in Froggatt (Endcliffe). In my flat there were 10 people (including me), but there were some flats in my block that were only 6 people. In terms of lectures, the amount of people attending each lecture really depends on the module. However, in my experience I haven't found my lectures to be too crowded.:smile:
I hope this was helpful,
Sofia
Original post by Anonymous
Are there any people on your course fit whom it was their second choice as they wanted medicine/dentistry? If so, have they enjoyed the course? What grades did you need?

Hello!
I don't personally know anyone that chose Biochemistry as a second choice to Medicine, so I can only pass on my own experience of the course. I have really enjoyed Biochemistry, it is a really interesting field of science. In terms of approaching Biochemistry from a medical point of view, I have had the opportunity to learn about the Biochemistry behind certain diseases among other topics. Looking at the course website (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/biochemistry-bsc#extrainfo) may give you a better insight into some of the things you may study as part of a Biochemistry degree at Sheffield. In terms of grades, offers are given on an individual basis, if you have any questions regarding what grades are required you can contact admissions (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/askus) and they will happily answer any questions you may have:smile:
I hope this helps,
Sofia
(edited 8 months ago)
Hello Everyone!
Happy A Level Results day! Well done for all your hard work.:smile:

With September drawing closer, does anyone have any questions about starting university? This could be questions about accommodation, moving away from home, good ways to meet new people etc.

Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield)
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi Everyone!

I want to study biochemistry at the uni of Sheffield and I’m not good with big groups can I just ask how many students are there that study biochemistry roughly
Hi
What are your tips for someone going into first year to do biochemistry at Sheffield
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hi
What are your tips for someone going into first year to do biochemistry at Sheffield

Hi Jess,
I would just say to experiment with loads of different learning/revision techniques to find one that is good for you. Lectures are quite different to the lessons you would of had at school. I found that my note taking and revision methods from school needed to be adapted to lectures, but once I found something that worked for me I could use that technique for the rest of my degree. For lab sessions, keeping a detailed lab book is essential for understanding them and will make your life far easier when it comes to writing lab reports as you have detailed notes to prompt your writing. My last tip would to be to read about the topics covered in your lectures as it helped me to really understand the lecture content.
Hope this helps,
Sofia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending