The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Official 2014/15 Sussex Freshers thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morethanwords
I'm an overseas student and wondering how much stuff to bring to the UK. If anyone could explain how much space and place to put things (clothes, textbooks etc) in dorm rooms or upload a photo of a typical residential room, it'll be very helpful!

I've attached some pics of Kent House/ We had a book case by the window and a wardroabe for clothes(not much space) by the sink. i don't have a photo of that part.

University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Motorbiker
I've attached some pics of Kent House/ We had a book case by the window and a wardroabe for clothes(not much space) by the sink. i don't have a photo of that part.

Where you have the posters that aren't on the board, did you still use blu-tac to stick them? Did it leave marks? And do you get room checks btw or not? (p.s. thanks for the photos!)
Original post by chloemily
Where you have the posters that aren't on the board, did you still use blu-tac to stick them? Did it leave marks? And do you get room checks btw or not? (p.s. thanks for the photos!)

I believe there were room checks during the holidays when I lived on campus.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I believe there were room checks during the holidays when I lived on campus.

Ah okay, and do you have to take everything out of your room during the holidays or not because I've heard conflicting things about this! I thought you probably do right?

I used white tac and it left no marks on the wall. I was never aware of any room checks but the contract said they could with notice. I was around most holidays like Easter and never saw anything though.
Ah okay, and do you have to take everything out of your room during the holidays or not because I've heard conflicting things about this! I thought you probably do right?

Nope. As long as your tenancy covers the holidays you are free to leave your stuff there (and live there) if you like.
I used white tac and it left no marks on the wall. I was never aware of any room checks but the contract said they could with notice. I was around most holidays like Easter and never saw anything though.

Did you find that it worked okay? because I tried white tac before but the posters kept falling down :frown:

Nope. As long as your tenancy covers the holidays you are free to leave your stuff there (and live there) if you like.

Awesome! Thanks for the info :biggrin:
Did you find that it worked okay? because I tried white tac before but the posters kept falling down :frown:

Awesome! Thanks for the info :biggrin:

Yea worked fine. Just buy a big chunk for £1 from ASDA before you go and you're set.

I stayed there over holidays and it was often just me and 1 American student in a building for 120 people.
Reply 28
If it's not increased the laundrettes are £3 for a wash and £1 for 30 mins in the drier. Don't rely on the co-op for your shopping - it never had everything I wanted and it's expensive. But the bus stops by Sainsburys and when I lived on campus there was free bus to ASDA twice a week

Hi, may I know the days and timings of the free ASDA bus that you had mentioned? Thanks.
Original post by Amirra
Hi, may I know the days and timings of the free ASDA bus that you had mentioned? Thanks.

I don't know sorry. I never used it.
So can you smoke anywhere on campus or are there certain places you have to go? I've already guessed that you probably can't in accomodation :P
Original post by CharlyChip
So can you smoke anywhere on campus or are there certain places you have to go? I've already guessed that you probably can't in accomodation :P

You can smoke anywhere outside you want.

There are signs at the top of the library steps and directly outside the doors to some buildings saying not to smoke there but all this does is move the cluster of smokers you have to walk through a 10 feet furhter from the building.
You can smoke anywhere outside you want.

There are signs at the top of the library steps and directly outside the doors to some buildings saying not to smoke there but all this does is move the cluster of smokers you have to walk through a 10 feet furhter from the building.

Sweet, okay thanks :')
Reply 33
I haven't applied for the accommodation yet! I would like to know if it's still possible to get a room at northfield??

Also anyone is going to study accounting and finance?^^

What would we do at the induction week?
Reply 34
Also I would like to know how much it costs to do the laundry? I was in London and it costs £4 in total every time! As an oversea student who just came to England at that time, I thought that's ridiculously expensive!
Original post by JM_Gxx
I haven't applied for the accommodation yet! I would like to know if it's still possible to get a room at northfield??

Also anyone is going to study accounting and finance?^^

What would we do at the induction week?

Northfield is a long walk so probably easier than swanborough etc.

Induction week is library tips and tours, freshers fair and intro lectures.

Original post by JM_Gxx
Also I would like to know how much it costs to do the laundry? I was in London and it costs £4 in total every time! As an oversea student who just came to England at that time, I thought that's ridiculously expensive!

Think it was £2...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Thanks for the reply!^^ how long does it take from northfield to the building? (I study accounting and finance..) I hope I could stay in a reasonable big en-suit room ^^ according to the university's email, they can't guarantee that I could get a room now 0.o
Original post by JM_Gxx

When I lived on campus it was £3 for the washer and £1 for 30 mins in the dryer.

Northfield is a long walk so probably easier than swanborough etc.

Induction week is library tips and tours, freshers fair and intro lectures.

Think it was £2...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I ****ing love fresher's fair. I can't wait for it to come again. Me and my friend are thinking of buying maracas for this year...
Original post by JM_Gxx
Thanks for the reply!^^ how long does it take from northfield to the building? (I study accounting and finance..) I hope I could stay in a reasonable big en-suit room ^^ according to the university's email, they can't guarantee that I could get a room now 0.o

It takes 5-10 mins to get from Northfield to the centre of campus.
Reply 39
It takes 5-10 mins to get from Northfield to the centre of campus.

Thank you! 5-10 mins are not that long.. I hope I could get a room there 0.o

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending