The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying for LSE, 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fzehra1
So am I but I agree the Oxford one seems better. Have you been to the open day yet? I figured that since its a new course not only will the applicants be less but its possible that the admissions policy will be less strict (wishful thinking, I know)

If anything, there will be lots of applicants. Previously, if you applied for PPE you would either pick P&E or P&P or G&E at LSE as the PPE course didn't exist. Now, everyone who applies for PPE will apply for PPE at LSE. I reckon the other 3 joint honours courses will be less competitive as a result.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by Incompl
If anything, there will be lots of applicants. Previously, if you applied for PPE you would either pick P&E or P&P or G&E at LSE as the PPE course didn't exist. Now, everyone who applies for PPE will apply for PPE at LSE. I reckon the other 3 joint honours courses will be less competitive as a result.

Honestly I'm thinking of skipping applying to LSE altogether even though PPE is what I want to study but the odds of me receiving an acceptance are HIGHLY and I don't want to waste my 5th option.
Reply 22
If you feel like you can get predicted A*AA then you should go for it. LSE place a large emphasis on PS and reference so I would concentrate on spending lots of time on them. Because LSE don't interview some people who deserve an offer don't get one and some who maybe don't deserve one get one; there is an element of luck and catching the admissions office's eye.
Reply 23
Original post by fzehra1
Honestly I'm thinking of skipping applying to LSE altogether even though PPE is what I want to study but the odds of me receiving an acceptance are HIGHLY and I don't want to waste my 5th option.

Sorry, forgot to quote. ^^^^^
Original post by QuestionsQ
I'm just going to add a little dose of reality as I'm starting Law at LSE in September and I've been through the process. In 2012 (the only statistic that's available), there were 2338 applicants and 186 first year students. So it's around 7% of applicants that end up at LSE. LSE give around 2.2-2.5 offers per place, so let's call it a 15% true acceptance rate. This was in 2012 and LSE becomes more competitive every year, so bear that in mind too.

In my application pool, a very large majority of students who were predicted A*AA were rejected because their grades weren't strong enough. LSE Law is competitive enough such that they could fill the entire student body with people predicted A*A*A or above - people with strong GCSEs too.

LSE does not use the lnat, so they're placing a lot more attention on grades - if you don't have 4 As at AS level, you're already at a significant disadvantage. You need to remember that LSE is probably the most competitive undergraduate institution in the UK - not necessarily the hardest to get into, but simply in terms of plain numbers.

If you have decent GCSEs and 4 As at AS, then by all means apply, but it's almost a lottery - it's a crazy number of applicants from all around the world.

I understand that this may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I think it's beneficial for you to understand the situation you're in now rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree totally. A question of probability. Possible but highly improbable. In 2013, 2536 applied for 136 places. Even assuming that only 25% of that can meet the minimum A*AA, that is already 634 applicants for them to choose from. As an Admissions Officer, there needs to be some very compelling reason to try find a needle from the haystack when there is already an obvious pack of needles to choose from. Looking at it from the Admissions office POV, you will get a better idea of what your probabilities are. Resitting some papers is a good idea as someone suggested.
Reply 25
Original post by QuestionsQ
I'm just going to add a little dose of reality as I'm starting Law at LSE in September and I've been through the process. In 2012 (the only statistic that's available), there were 2338 applicants and 186 first year students. So it's around 7% of applicants that end up at LSE. LSE give around 2.2-2.5 offers per place, so let's call it a 15% true acceptance rate. This was in 2012 and LSE becomes more competitive every year, so bear that in mind too.

In my application pool, a very large majority of students who were predicted A*AA were rejected because their grades weren't strong enough. LSE Law is competitive enough such that they could fill the entire student body with people predicted A*A*A or above - people with strong GCSEs too.

LSE does not use the lnat, so they're placing a lot more attention on grades - if you don't have 4 As at AS level, you're already at a significant disadvantage. You need to remember that LSE is probably the most competitive undergraduate institution in the UK - not necessarily the hardest to get into, but simply in terms of plain numbers.

If you have decent GCSEs and 4 As at AS, then by all means apply, but it's almost a lottery - it's a crazy number of applicants from all around the world.

I understand that this may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I think it's beneficial for you to understand the situation you're in now rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not having 4 As at GCSE will not severely disadvantage you. I got into Bsc IR last year (1000 applicants for 60 places) with AAC at AS. LSE puts a greater emphasis on the diversity of the student body these days, so good grades is not the ultimate prerequisite.
Original post by CEKTOP
Not having 4 As at GCSE will not severely disadvantage you. I got into Bsc IR last year (1000 applicants for 60 places) with AAC at AS. LSE puts a greater emphasis on the diversity of the student body these days, so good grades is not the ultimate prerequisite.

Whilst true, the OP is asking about chances getting an offer for Law with predicted grades of ABB. Do you think it is worth using one of his 5 options?
Original post by Incompl
You really shouldn't worry, LSE's philosophy department is very good. It's not you standard philosophy department; there is a large emphasis on philosophy of the sciences and the social sciences. If you look at modules it's very evenly spread across the 3 subjects.

I agree. I went to the open day and the department's focus on effect on public policy etc. as well as a VERY analytical approach. Very positive experience listening to the woman from the philosophy departments!
Original post by fzehra1
So am I but I agree the Oxford one seems better. Have you been to the open day yet? I figured that since its a new course not only will the applicants be less but its possible that the admissions policy will be less strict (wishful thinking, I know)

Attended both open days and I must say PPE at LSE looks better! Even though it is a year longer than Oxford's one, its all in good use. At least at LSE, you get to do Philosophy, Politics AND Economics (true to the course name). Oxford pushes you to drop one.. It may just be me, but that doesn't sound appealing to me. What do you guys think?
Reply 29
Original post by Andromaque
Attended both open days and I must say PPE at LSE looks better! Even though it is a year longer than Oxford's one, its all in good use. At least at LSE, you get to do Philosophy, Politics AND Economics (true to the course name). Oxford pushes you to drop one.. It may just be me, but that doesn't sound appealing to me. What do you guys think?

The year longer part scares me since living in London is quite expensive for 3 years, 4 might be a bit too much. But I agree, doing all 3 sounds way more interesting! Did you hear any of the lecturers speak?
Original post by Andromaque

Well, you can keep all three if you want at Oxford (though admittedly limit your options for which papers to sit), and the fact that it is four years and you only get a BSc is a bit annoying. To be honest I think I would be happy at either, they are quite different, but they are both very attractive (and they both have a few downsides)
I am an offer holder for Bsc Economics and hope to go this September!

I got 5 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE

Four A's in Maths, Economics, Physics and Theatre Studies (I know it's a poor subject) in AS!

However, I did the full Further Maths course this year! Leaving me with 5 AS's and A levels in Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Economics! (Hopefully I get the Grades)

I need an A* in maths, A's in Physics and Economics, and an E in Further Maths!

If you're desperate to get into LSE: Get some stand out work experience; Further maths AS I would say is a must(although LSE are reluctant to admit it), and make your personal statement world class.

From personal experience UMS is not an issue! However, I'm presuming they would want 4 A's at AS for a course as competitive as BSc Economics, Maths/Econ etc.

Predicted 3 A*'s and an A in Further Maths

Hope this helps
Reply 32
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by BillyECON
I am an offer holder for Bsc Economics and hope to go this September!

I got 5 A*'s and 5 A's at GCSE

Four A's in Maths, Economics, Physics and Theatre Studies (I know it's a poor subject) in AS!

However, I did the full Further Maths course this year! Leaving me with 5 AS's and A levels in Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Economics! (Hopefully I get the Grades)

I need an A* in maths, A's in Physics and Economics, and an E in Further Maths!

If you're desperate to get into LSE: Get some stand out work experience; Further maths AS I would say is a must(although LSE are reluctant to admit it), and make your personal statement world class.

From personal experience UMS is not an issue! However, I'm presuming they would want 4 A's at AS for a course as competitive as BSc Economics, Maths/Econ etc.

Predicted 3 A*'s and an A in Further Maths

Hope this helps

What sort of work exp do you mean? Also, did you find it extremely difficult to do further maths in one year?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
What sort of work exp do you mean? Also, did you find it extremely difficult to do further maths in one year?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked at HM Treausry for the week :smile:

And in all honesty, if you enjoy maths, no.

I'd advise doing the statistics modules (if you're doing edexcel then S2-S4), M2, FP1 and FP2. As it's probably the easiest route to get an A level in further maths. With FP2 posing the only real difficulty :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by BillyECON
I worked at HM Treausry for the week :smile:

And in all honesty, if you enjoy maths, no.

I'd advise doing the statistics modules (if you're doing edexcel then S2-S4), M2, FP1 and FP2. As it's probably the easiest route to get an A level in further maths. With FP2 posing the only real difficulty :smile:

That's amazing:cool:

People say mechanics is really hard?!:eek: Ok thanks for the advice!:biggrin:
Anybody applying for summer school of 2015 - law?
I really need some insight as to what is the criteria because my university has percentage system. I've no idea how the LSE system works.
Anybody who has been to the summer school would be of great help.
Thank you. :smile:
Reply 37
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending