The Student Room Group

Medicine work experience

I was wondering where I could do my work experience (I want to apply for medicine at a competitive university)

I will be 15 years old this October, so I can't do it in a hospital.

I was considering a pharmacy or Nursing home.

Advice will be appreciated
Reply 1
Can anyone help me??????:angry:
Reply 2
The likes of Boots Pharmacy will probably take you on for work experience - one of my friends did work experience there when she was 15. You won't be allowed in the prescriptions area but you should be allowed to work in the over-the-counter drug sales area and you'll probably just shadow another worker or help stack things. So, really, you won't be doing much. My advice is to look around for Medicine summer schools for Year 11-12 students. They're free, and lots of universities offer them over the summer. They're quite competitive, but if you've got the grades then it shouldn't be a problem getting in.
Fifteen is pretty early - good for you. You want experience in a caring environment. Nursing home sounds good. Later on look to get work experience in a medical environment - GP, hospitals etc. It can be hard but if they don't have a work experience program in place its their fault - don't take no for an answer.
Reply 4
thankyou. Do you think a primary school would be good
Original post by BULL14
thankyou. Do you think a primary school would be good

Sure. It would be nice to have something with a more medical feel - people with disabilities or the elderly say - but some long-term volunteering with kids would definitely be good too.

That's not really based on anything - just my feeling. If you look on websites/ask admissions people they tend to say its what you get out of an experience that's important, not necessarily the experience itself.

Quick Reply

Latest