The Student Room Group

Cambridge Reapplication Intricacies

Hello,

First of all I hope this thread is in the correct forum as I am new to TSR. Anyway, I was wondering about the legitimacy of a plot of sorts I've been concocting. I applied to Trinity Hall in September 2013 to study Law and was subsequently rejected. Shortly afterwards, I received an offer from King's College London for the same subject and I was also awarded a scholarship.

However, I've been playing with the idea of deferring my entry to King's, should I meet my offer, and reapplying to Cambridge among other universities in the meantime. I realise that to some this may seem arbitrary but I've been struck by the 'Cambridge Curse'- as I call it.

My question is, would such a concoction actually work? I believe that if I achieve my aspirational grades of A*A*A*a I would be in an excellent position to perhaps earn a place at Cambridge or at UCL or LSE. Although, I am ignorant of the actual workings of the UCAS application service, namely:

would King's be aware that I have reapplied and, if so,

what would be their most likely reaction?

King's is an outstanding institution however I would regret not taking a second shot a Cambridge. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

I would be classed as a mature student in technical terms when reapplying if such information is at all relevant and/or useful. Thanks
I don't think you can take up an offer somewhere (even if deferred) and then re-apply. Even if there were such a case where you could I would imagine King's would not be particularly impressed. Whether they could rescind the scholarship and/ or offer I do not know.
Reply 2
Original post by A1112787
Hello,

First of all I hope this thread is in the correct forum as I am new to TSR. Anyway, I was wondering about the legitimacy of a plot of sorts I've been concocting. I applied to Trinity Hall in September 2013 to study Law and was subsequently rejected. Shortly afterwards, I received an offer from King's College London for the same subject and I was also awarded a scholarship.

However, I've been playing with the idea of deferring my entry to King's, should I meet my offer, and reapplying to Cambridge among other universities in the meantime. I realise that to some this may seem arbitrary but I've been struck by the 'Cambridge Curse'- as I call it.

My question is, would such a concoction actually work? I believe that if I achieve my aspirational grades of A*A*A*a I would be in an excellent position to perhaps earn a place at Cambridge or at UCL or LSE. Although, I am ignorant of the actual workings of the UCAS application service, namely:

would King's be aware that I have reapplied and, if so,

what would be their most likely reaction?

King's is an outstanding institution however I would regret not taking a second shot a Cambridge. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

I would be classed as a mature student in technical terms when reapplying if such information is at all relevant and/or useful. Thanks

The UCAS system won't allow you to both hold a deferred offer and reapply. :sadnod:

You can either take up your offer and not reapply, or decline your Kings offer and reapply to Kings next year along with Cambridge.
Reply 3
Right, that clears things up. I thought it might be a bit too mischievous to pull off and I agree that King's would probably be unimpressed. Thank you for your help.
Reply 4
Although, while I have you here, do you think King's would be likely to extend another offer if I did decide to reject their current one and reapply? A part of me believes they might considering they have already but another part believes they won't for the same reason. Decisions, decisions...
Reply 5
Although, while I have you here, do you think King's would be likely to extend another offer if I did decide to reject their current one and reapply? A part of me believes they might considering they have already but another part believes they won't for the same reason. Decisions, decisions...

As long as the strength of the other applicants doesn't change much and your exam grades this year are of the necessary standard then I don't see why you shouldn't get an offer again. They'll still just want the best of the applicants and it's perfectly reasonable that you could have decided late that you wanted a gap year. :smile: (that said keep in mind another offer isn't guaranteed, but not extremely unlikely either)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Claree
As long as the strength of the other applicants doesn't change much and your exam grades this year are of the necessary standard then I don't see why you shouldn't get an offer again. They'll still just want the best of the applicants and it's perfectly reasonable that you could have decided late that you wanted a gap year. :smile: (that said keep in mind another offer isn't guaranteed, but not extremely unlikely either)

Posted from TSR Mobile

should i leave my college choice as open or select a particular one?
if i choose college X on the ucas form, and college X rejects me, is that the end of my cambridge dream?
Reply 7
Original post by Maura Kat
if i choose college X on the ucas form, and college X rejects me, is that the end of my cambridge dream?

If you have any preference in college whatsoever then you might as well pick a college. Submitting an open application is basically asking the computer to pick a college for you. :tongue: (The open application system is set up so you'd be assigned to a college with proportionally lower number of applicants for the subject that year, so you're likely to be allocated a less popular college) However you'd then be treated exactly the same as all the applicants who applied directly to that college, and the college will not know whether you picked that college or were allocated there.

In theory it shouldn't make a difference the chance of you getting a place whether you pick a college or submit an open application (and the pooling system is there to try to ensure that the college you pick or are allocated to does not affect your chance of getting an offer). :smile: If you really don't mind/don't know which college to apply to then by all means make an open application so the computer system will pick a college for you. :cool:

Yes, if you are rejected by the college you applied to then your application would have been unsuccessful, but this is just the same as if you put in an open application and were rejected by the college you were allocated. (Note the pooling system however there are three initial possible outcomes: offer, rejection, or pooled - if the college you pick/are allocated to thinks you are probably worthy of an offer, you can be pooled and another college may subsequently give you an offer)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Maura Kat

According to your other posts you have already done a law degree and will be applying as a mature student. You have asked about this a few times & I would have thought as a potential Cambridge student you would have got your mind round it by now.

So the answer is if you apply open you will probably get allocated to a mature college, if not it will be an all female one. You might as well choose from one of these based on geography and whether you would want/hate all female.
Are you applying for another UG degree or as an affiliated student? Did you drop out of your first degree or have you got a degree grade?
Reply 9
Whether your application is unsuccessful depends entirely on when you are rejected. If you are rejected without being given an interview, then your application is finished. However, from my understanding, if you are given an interview and are then unsuccessful, you will likely be pooled. At this point, another college may pick you up or your initial college may decide it wishes to give you an offer or, of course, you will be unsuccessful.
Whether your application is unsuccessful depends entirely on when you are rejected. If you are rejected without being given an interview, then your application is finished. However, from my understanding, if you are given an interview and are then unsuccessful, you will likely be pooled. At this point, another college may pick you up or your initial college may decide it wishes to give you an offer or, of course, you will be unsuccessful.

At Cambridge around 80-85% of applicants get an interview of whom maybe a quarter get a direct offer. It is not true that the majority of the rest get pooled. About a quarter of total offers come from the pool, I'm sure someone will remember how many are in the winter pool but I doubt it is more than 10% of applicants.
Reply 11
Original post by Colmans
At Cambridge around 80-85% of applicants get an interview of whom maybe a quarter get a direct offer. It is not true that the majority of the rest get pooled. About a quarter of total offers come from the pool, I'm sure someone will remember how many are in the winter pool but I doubt it is more than 10% of applicants.

I think I read that of those who get an interview, roughly 25% get an offer and another 25% are pooled. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending