The Student Room Group

Question about garages and invoices

Hi all,

I know this isn't strictly the correct place for this topic, but thought it most likely I'd get the best response in this forum.

I took my car in for an MOT which it failed due to the washer jet pumps not working, which was down to an electric fault. For reasons I won't get into due to my work I couldn't get this repaired at the garage which did the MOT.

I took the car the following weekend to another garage, and left it with them for the week. I told them another garage had identified that the washer pumps were not working due to an electrical fault, and that I wanted them to fix the electrical fault with the pumps so it could pass the MOT, and then MOT it.

A week later when I go to pick the car up, they tell me they can't fix the washer pumps because it's a fault only a ford main dealer can fix, and that they haven't MOT'd the car because it would've been pointless as it wouldn't pass. They said they would invoice me for 1.5hrs labour, and would send it in the post, and with that I drove the car away.

A week later I receive the invoice and it's for 1.5hrs labour AND an MOT test, which it apparently failed. I haven't been given or sent any 'Failed MOT Certificate'

My question is: do I have to pay the garage for the 1.5hrs labour. Obviously I'm not going to pay for the 'Failed MOT', as I was explicitly told that they hadn't done one when I picked the car up, and even if they had I wouldn't have paid because they would've known it wouldn't pass before even doing the test.

But my thoughts are this with regard to the labour: I asked the garage to repair the fault, which they said they could and would do. They then find out they can't, and charge me labour anyway. I don't want to pay because they didn't make it clear in the first instance that they may not be able to repair it. I asked them to provide a service which they didn't provide, and so I don't feel I should pay for their labour even if they did spend 1.5hrs on the car.

Any advice would be appreciated, do I have to pay the costs I've been invoiced? What could the garage do if I refused to pay them?

I'd appreciate somebody who actually studies or knows about the legal aspect of this to comment, not any emotionally or morally charged viewpoints, I realise it's unfortunate the garage may lose out on time spent on my car.

J
You are probably best speaking with them first and then speaking with trading standards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending