The Student Room Group

How tight are you with money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dire wolf
evian and co come from mountain springs, the companies arent lying lol. However, tap water is produced in the electrolysis of 1-chloropropane-1,2-diol (which is toxic). Tap waters been proven to weaken the immune system of all mammals and increases the tendency to display 'sheep-like' behaviour in humans.
Sorry, just wanted to show off my EPQ knowledge there :lol:

Tap water isn't made from electrolysis, what do you think all the water reservoirs are for?
I don't tend to buy people drinks unless I expect them to return to favour. Although when people buy me drinks I feel a bit bad when I don't reciprocate. When people offer I usually assume that they just got some money from somewhere so are feeling fairly rich/generous.

As for lending money, if I know and trust that they'll pay me back then I'll lend them some money.

A lot of my friends think I'm tight with money because I tend to try and get the cheapest things I can.
Terrible with money I need to be tighter and save more most is spent on things I don't really need/wear
Original post by Maid Marian
I'm very tight tbh :colondollar:

Ice Queen?

:colone:
For example, would you order tap water in a restaurant because it's free?
No

Would you or would you not chip in to buy rounds of drinks at a pub or prefer to split the bill and just pay for what you had?
N/A because I'm too young but.. If i was in that situation I'd be either or, like I wouldn't really mind.
Have you ever lied to a friend and said you had no money, just so that you didn't have to "lend" them £5 which you know you would never see again?
I'd give them up to like £3 but £5 is too much (wow I'm stingy) So yep I'd lie, ahah.

Do you save? If you do save - is it for the sake of saving? For a rainy day? Or is their something you are aiming to buy?
I try to save but if I go to the cinema or something I'll just take it. I used to spend my money like water and hardly ever had money, now I try to keep it and not spend it on stuff that I don't really want/need.
I'm pretty spendy tbh. Mostly on myself and my hobbies though, rather than on buying rounds for people down at the pub or whatever. If we go out for dinner we always pay for what we individually had, we all buy our own drinks and so on. I would only lend money to specific people - if I knew I wasn't going to get it back then I'd refuse. I do have some savings. Answering your questions makes me seem like I'm more thrifty than I am. I don't order tap water (unless I just feel like water instead of a soft drink or whatever), and I spend a heck of a lot of money on my hobby stuff, which I'm accumulating faster than I can use it, so it always seems a bit of a waste to buy more stuff when I know it'll take me a while to get around to using it.

I ran short with my student loan in the first two semesters at uni. I was literally skint by the day we got off for Christmas and Easter. I just don't budget well.
Reply 26
I'm quite tight with cash, I never was before but after starting college and having to pay for food, I would get money and it would instantly be spent on Greggs, Dominoes and Tesco lol, so something had to change because I was becoming a stereotypical broke student.

First step was to start making a packed lunch one of the best decisions of my life, I literally only spend £5 a week on food, which lasts me from Monday through to Saturday (I took a packed lunch to the library on saturday)

any money I now get is immediately thrown ino my bedroom cupboard, meaning that if I'm out and feel the urge to buy something spontaneously I'm forced to go home and think about whether the purchase is necessary before I spend the money. And it also makes spending that bit harder, because once you've physically held the money you don't really want to spend it anymore lol

One of the best things I've read is "Youu don't get rich by knowing when to spend money, you get rich by knowing when NOT to spend money"

Would you or would you not chip in to buy rounds of drinks at a pub or prefer to split the bill and just pay for what you had?
I chip in, nobody likes a selfish person so what I do is I offer to buy my mates rounds, but as we take turns offering to pay for each other throughout the night it just balances out. Its just a social courtesy really I only do this with close friends, because we all offer to pay for one another's drinks

Have you ever lied to a friend and said you had no money, just so that you didn't have to "lend" them £5 which you know you would never see again?

It depends, I won't lend any amount greater than £5, basically I only lend money that I'm prepared to "lose"
(edited 9 years ago)
I only buy things if they're a necessity, I hate spending unnecessarily

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Not at all. I'll pay for a meal with friends without blinking or thinking about it.
Original post by Maid Marian
I'm very tight tbh :colondollar:

Less of your filth please , Marian.

I'll buy rounds, food and presents for my friends who I know will do the same for me. If anyone else asks for money who I don't know, or is unreliable, I'll just say no - no need to make up an excuse - I just don't want to.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Less of your filth please , Marian.

I'll buy rounds, food and presents for my friends who I know will do the same for me. If anyone else asks for money who I don't know, or is unreliable, I'll just say no - no need to make up an excuse - I just don't want to.

Omg lmao, just realised what that sounded like :lol: :shy2:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
My tightness has me at 5 digits in the bank.

That's right ladies. :sexface:
Original post by CrawfordRolex
You obviously haven't tasted the water from my spring.

Have you seen the Penn and Teller episode on it? It's quite funny how much you can charge people for ordinary tap water (or hose water) if you just put it in a nice bottle and lie. :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by felamaslen
Have you seen the Penn and Teller episode on it? It's quite funny how much you can charge people for ordinary tap water (or hose water) if you just put it in a nice bottle and lie. :wink:

I buy bottled water (only evian:tongue:) but only once a week, I use the bottle for the whole week and just refill it with tap water.

There is a difference between plain old tap water and a tap with a filter, mine has tthe filter so I can drink water from it, but when I used to have one without the filter my family brought bottled water
Original post by stargirl63
So I was reading an older thread about this, but I just wanted to know people's opinions on what is classed as "saving" and what is classed as being "tight".

I personally believe I am really tight with my money - I would rather have something to show for my money and hard work, eg a house, a nice car, macbook etc rather than blow £80 on one single night out. I'm not really one to buy presents for my friends for their birthday, I don't mind buying them a drink, but I'll only buy a present if they bought me one for mine.

I also don't really understand the logic of not saving money and enjoying life spending everything, as much as it's a nice thought to think you're living it up, what happens if you lose your job tomorrow, you get evicted, emergency funds are needed for something? How long would you be able to live comfortably before you realise that maybe you shouldn't have spent all that money aimlessly thinking "YOLO!!!!1". :rolleyes:

Also my friends think that since I'm working, I have an unlimited bank account. Such as "since you're working now, we can go to this expensive place" ....erm, NO. Just because I'm working, does not mean I'm going to splash out money for no reason, I have expenses, I have bills.

So I have a couple of questions:

For example, would you order tap water in a restaurant because it's free?

Do you save? If you do save - is it for the sake of saving? For a rainy day? Or is their something you are aiming to buy?

Thaaaanks

I don't think I'm tight at all, but I definitely do know the value of money. My friends get things from their parents whenever they want, and get cars etc which is something I didn't have. I'm not saying it's terrible that they get that, but I do think that growing up, you shouldn't get whatever you want, when you want. Knowing the value of a few hours work wouldn't hurt is all I'm saying.
First step was to start making a packed lunch one of the best decisions of my life, I literally only spend £5 a week on food, which lasts me from Monday through to Saturday (I took a packed lunch to the library on saturday)

How? please share your secrets, what sort of items do you buy and what lunches do you make with them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, pretty careful with money due to hopefully going to uni in September. But I save and then allow myself small treats :smile:
Original post by bubble999
Yeah, pretty careful with money due to hopefully going to uni in September. But I save and then allow myself small treats :smile:

Good luck.
Original post by CrawfordRolex
Good luck.

Thanks! NHS funded course and bursary, so should be okay :smile:
Original post by lolarose8

How? please share your secrets, what sort of items do you buy and what lunches do you make with them?

Such a good thing to do :yep: Saves money and you know what you're eating (i.e no horse meat or whatever :lol: )

Quick Reply

Latest