The Student Room Group

Should teachers be banned from striking?

Scroll to see replies

Do you want to live in China or something?

Of course they should be able to strike.
Reply 61
Teachers in this country are under paid by a LOT! They have every reason to strike. In Canada teachers are paid 90K ( canadian dollars) which is about 2.5X more than teachers here. I think that a lot of people on this thread are very ignorant to the value of money. For many people complain on this thread mummy and daddy buy them everything that they need, they don't see the struggles that teachers face financially.
Original post by slg60
Teachers in this country are under paid by a LOT! They have every reason to strike. In Canada teachers are paid 90K ( canadian dollars) which is about 2.5X more than teachers here. I think that a lot of people on this thread are very ignorant to the value of money. For many people complain on this thread mummy and daddy buy them everything that they need, they don't see the struggles that teachers face financially.

What makes teachers different from the rest of the country expenses wise? They have a pretty average income. Their starting salary is higher thsn most, and greater than the median income, and in the main pay band can go about 5000 over the mean income for a full time worker, so they clearly earn enough to live on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think they should be allowed to strike, I also think they should bring back the cane/belt. But that's cause I don't go to school anymore and am safe.
Original post by TSA
Of course it's an issue of greed. If you are being paid more than minimum wage it's more than enough money to buy the necessities and live.

Where do you draw the line one day of strikes okay? Two? One week? One month? There is no need to cause unnecessary disruption due to greed.

At the university near me, the lecturers went on strike because the Chief Executive received a 7% pay rise, while the lecturers received a measly 1%. I.E A pay cut, when taking inflation Into account.

But I know, aren't they so greedy
Original post by FrostyLemon
One of the most depressing parts about being a teacher is reading stuff like this. Most of the general public just thinks we are worthless. So much misinformed *******s, teachers are greedy lol? Work-life balance? I'd love to know what other job pays just over £20,000 for 60 hours a week. Do the math with that and it works out about minimum wage, (we don't get paid for the holidays).

The disdain for all public sector workers now is truly shameful. Disgusts me that so many people will chuckle when the right to strike goes. They don't understand the world at all.
Reply 66
Teachers are some of the most undervalued people in our society, their pay is a disgrace and the respect they have for their job is negative.
One of my teachers had a first degree in maths from Oxford and was getting paid ~20k, this isn't right.
Of course not, that's literally insane. The only people who should be banned from striking are front-line medical staff and the police, and any public service workforce banned from striking should have a robust, effective and democratic system of trade union representation high up in the management.

Anything else is just Tory extremism.

I agree that strikes are a very crude way of resolving disputes, but the trade unions' hands are usually forced by the point-blank refusal of management to enter into any kind of negotiations with them. At the end of the day the only thing a workforce that sells its labour can do is to withdraw that very labour - and that's when the hubris of the management is exposed, because without their minions they can't achieve anything, no matter how many pie charts they draw.
Reply 68
Original post by Numberwang
The National Union of Teachers are among many public sector workers going out on strike this week.

On Question Time on Thursday, the Tory MP on the panel mused about the possibility of teachers being banned from strike action, like the police and the army.

Which begs the question, if the police and the army aren't allowed to strike, then why are teachers allowed to - given the huge disruption working parents face when a school is closed.

If the Tories win in 2015, you're likely to see tougher rules on ballots, but I wouldn't rule them out going a step further.

I don't believe strike action is a particularly effective form of protest in the 21st century, anyway. With the internet, there are plenty of ways to affect the decision-making of the establishment without actually hurting and disaffecting the people you are being paid to provide for.

What do we all think?

The Police and Army maintain order in times of civil unrest. Thats why they aren't allowed to...
Reply 69
Original post by teen1234
Teachers are some of the most undervalued people in our society, their pay is a disgrace and the respect they have for their job is negative.
One of my teachers had a first degree in maths from Oxford and was getting paid ~20k, this isn't right.

Yeah, they should have done something more useful for society than teaching kids.
Reply 70
Original post by Numberwang
The National Union of Teachers are among many public sector workers going out on strike this week.

On Question Time on Thursday, the Tory MP on the panel mused about the possibility of teachers being banned from strike action, like the police and the army.

Which begs the question, if the police and the army aren't allowed to strike, then why are teachers allowed to - given the huge disruption working parents face when a school is closed.

If the Tories win in 2015, you're likely to see tougher rules on ballots, but I wouldn't rule them out going a step further.

I don't believe strike action is a particularly effective form of protest in the 21st century, anyway. With the internet, there are plenty of ways to affect the decision-making of the establishment without actually hurting and disaffecting the people you are being paid to provide for.

What do we all think?

Like, teachers and academics are human and if necessary to receive what they rightly are entitled to. So my answer is yes.
Reply 71
Original post by Quady
Yeah, they should have done something more useful for society than teaching kids.

wow.
It's good for children's education if anything. Teaches them that if they're royally done up the wrong'un by the powers that be, they don't have to roll over and take it.
Original post by TSA
Disrupting students education.
Disrupting working lives of parents.

Striking purely for nuisance in my experience. If you don't like the pay of being a teacher, don't enter that line of work. It is that simple. Why should my education suffer because teachers are greedy?

and how much do you think your education will suffer when you have class sizes of 40 or 50 or 60 because too many teachers have quit?

and why should thier lives suffer as a result of the system thats giving you your education?

Your answer is stupidly short term. Teaching is already a hard profession in your country and the system doesnt make it easier. Teachers are used as scapegoats and treated horribly for the work they do. A large part of what causes teachers to leave is down to this.

Yes they should be allowed to strike.
Reply 74
Original post by silverbolt
and how much do you think your education will suffer when you have class sizes of 40 or 50 or 60 because too many teachers have quit?

and why should thier lives suffer as a result of the system thats giving you your education?

Your answer is stupidly short term. Teaching is already a hard profession in your country and the system doesnt make it easier. Teachers are used as scapegoats and treated horribly for the work they do. A large part of what causes teachers to leave is down to this.

Yes they should be allowed to strike.

How many teachers leave the profession each year?
How many enter it?
No, of course they should be able to strike. Unions don't strike on a whim - they strike when their profession is being continuously meddled with by ignorant politicians; when their workload is being increased with no real terms pay increase; when their pay, benefits and conditions are facing real terms cuts; and ultimately when the people responsible for such changes fail to negotiate or even listen to them, which is essential even if you agree with austerity.

Teachers have voiced their professional and experienced opinions again and again on government changes and been ignored, had agreed a programme of talks with the DfE and Education Secretary and had them pushed back on a number of occasions, and are being flat-out ignored on everything from pay to pensions, conditions to cuts, promotion to provision. It's pretty hard not to resort to striking when you can't get a word in to even negotiate.
Original post by simplylldxo
I've rarely came across a doctor that isn't passionate apart from the locums at weekends and bank holidays who don't read your file before doing their rounds but that's another story... I suppose the logic applies to every job that you want to be successful in :smile: if you love the job, the salary shouldn't matter!

I know most Doctors are passionate about what they, in fact its unfair of me to even generalize since most Doctors and Medical students I know are the ones who love what they are doing and can't think of doing anything else other than this. However, how many threads have you seen around tsr saying "how much does being a doctor pay?" or "which branch of medicine will earn me the most money?" etc etc and how many people would you think would do Medicine if the salaries and job security aren't as lucrative as they are now, but the main point is them expecting to be paid a lot for doing "what they love" (not that they don't deserve it, they are fully justified in their salaries) when other professions ie teachers, police officers etc are not allowed to. Again, I understand this is extremely unfair to many doctors and I know that a lot are very good doctors who do it for the right reasons, but you cannot deny there are quite a few on the other side of the spectrum.
Reply 77
Original post by Quady

Good God I hope that was sarcasm.
Reply 78
Original post by slg60
Good God I hope that was sarcasm.

Nope.

How many Oxbridge 1sts are awarded each year in maths? 300?

Horses for courses. You don't don't need someone that good at maths to be teaching A-Level to 100 kids a year. We do need them in industry where they can add a lot more value to the UK society.

Thats kinda why they are on low pay (although I have no idea how they could only be on £20k), they are vastly over qualified for the job. Someone with a 2.i from Durham would more than do.

Its a complete waste of talent for the UK.

Would you say they were underpaid and dervered more money if they took the Oxford 1st in Maths and sat on a Tesco checkout?
Reply 79
Original post by Quady
Nope.

How many Oxbridge 1sts are awarded each year in maths? 300?

Horses for courses. You don't don't need someone that good at maths to be teaching A-Level to 100 kids a year. We do need them in industry where they can add a lot more value to the UK society.

Thats kinda why they are on low pay (although I have no idea how they could only be on £20k), they are vastly over qualified for the job. Someone with a 2.i from Durham would more than do.

Its a complete waste of talent for the UK.

Would you say they were underpaid and dervered more money if they took the Oxford 1st in Maths and sat on a Tesco checkout?

I think my qualm was more with that fact that you said perhaps they should do something more useful than teach kids.

Also you say 2.1 like it is bad when it is an excellent result.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending