The Student Room Group

where is Ln(z+10) NOT analytic?

would i be correct in thinking this is for z10 z\leq-10 i.e. on the non-positive real axis?

(since for Ln(z+10) , domain is |z+10|>0 and -pi<Arg(z+10)<pi

??
Assuming by Ln you mean the principal branch of the log function, then yes. (I think)!
Reply 2
Original post by DFranklin
Assuming by Ln you mean the principal branch of the log function, then yes. (I think)!

I did, yes - Thanks!
Original post by Hasufel
would i be correct in thinking this is for z10 z\leq-10 i.e. on the non-positive real axis?

(since for Ln(z+10) , domain is |z+10|>0 and -pi<Arg(z+10)<pi

??

You mean Rez10\operatorname{Re} z \leq -10. It's not analytic at those points since it's discontinuous there.
Reply 4
Original post by atsruser
You mean Rez10\operatorname{Re} z \leq -10. It's not analytic at those points since it's discontinuous there.

No, I think by z10z \leq -10 he means the real numbers z10z \leq -10. For the branch he's discussing, the complex logarithm with have a 2πi 2 \pi i discontinuity across that cut. But it will be analytic everywhere else.
Original post by RichE
No, I think by z10z \leq -10 he means the real numbers z10z \leq -10

It looks simply wrong to me to write z10z \leq -10.

Whenever I see zz, I read "complex variable", so this makes no sense at all to me.

I guess it would have clearer if I'd written {zC:Rez10,Imz=0}\{ z \in \mathbb{C} : \operatorname{Re} z \le -10, \operatorname{Im} z = 0 \} or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest