The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
randdom
Well there is one on Islam so I thought I would start one on christianity. What do people think of it as a religion? Has it done more harm than good in the past? What is it's future? I you are an Athiest Agnostic or from anothe religion would you consider converting?
Can we please keep this thread as uninsulting as possible.

Whats the difference? They all acknowledge they worship similar/the same God.
Reply 2
corey
Whats the difference? They all acknowledge they worship similar/the same God.

Thats what I feel but I don't think many christians would agree I have heard some people say some preety bad things on other forums about the God that Islam worships.
Reply 3
randdom
Well there is one on Islam so I thought I would start one on christianity. What do people think of it as a religion? Has it done more harm than good in the past? What is it's future? I you are an Athiest Agnostic or from anothe religion would you consider converting?
Can we please keep this thread as uninsulting as possible.

I'm a Christian. but i really struggle with it being a "religion"..its a faith and a relationship, not a set of rules and hypocritical teaching. I believe in the Bible and I believe in its authority, I believe that it is incredibly important to obey the commands laid down in the good book simply because I honestly think they are the way for a better life. Also once you have a passion for God you want to please him and show your love for him and this can be done through serving him and obeying his word.

I agree the religion of Christianity has done alot of harm in the past...in my opinion this is because of the hypocrisy of the church, its teaching and its leaders. It makes me so mad that some church leaders call themselves Christians as it black-marks the whole faith. I honestly believe that most none-believers have no real idea of what Christianity is actually all about as they see such a depressing and hypocritical front to it.

Anyone agree? disagree?

If anyone wants to know more about what Christianity is really about then message me...or read the bible...it's all good :smile:
Reply 4
hohum
I'm a Christian. but i really struggle with it being a "religion"..its a faith and a relationship, not a set of rules and hypocritical teaching. I believe in the Bible and I believe in its authority, I believe that it is incredibly important to obey the commands laid down in the good book simply because I honestly think they are the way for a better life. Also once you have a passion for God you want to please him and show your love for him and this can be done through serving him and obeying his word.

I agree the religion of Christianity has done alot of harm in the past...in my opinion this is because of the hypocrisy of the church, its teaching and its leaders. It makes me so mad that some church leaders call themselves Christians as it black-marks the whole faith. I honestly believe that most none-believers have no real idea of what Christianity is actually all about as they see such a depressing and hypocritical front to it.

Anyone agree? disagree?

If anyone wants to know more about what Christianity is really about then message me...or read the bible...it's all good :smile:

I am not a christian I was bought up by two atheist parents but I have always believed in god (to their annoyance) So when I hit 14 I decided that I was going to find the religion which best fitted the relationship I wanted to have with God. I spent a lot of time looking into the major religions especially christianity and I read the bible I attended a few services in different denominations but I just couldn't really get over the idea that we are all sinners and If you commit sin you go to hell. I didn't like some of the intollerence that is preached in christianity and other religions aswell saying that all people who follow any other religion aren't worshiping god and will go to hell ect. Because my personal belief is that all religions are worshipping god in their own way. Also I don't agree with the christian church's stance on lost of things like the fact that lust is a sin and homosexuality. I guess I just didn't like the fact that everything is dictated to you. Haveing read the bible I thought that it was a really good book and I do believe in alot of things that it teaches however I thought it should be used as a guide not as the hard line this is the only way ect. So in the end after alot of investiagtion I decided paganism was the way for me. But in the end the main flaw I find with christianity is the fact that you don't have much leway to form the relationship with god individually it is a bit to strictly laid out for my liking.
Reply 5
randdom
Thats what I feel but I don't think many christians would agree I have heard some people say some preety bad things on other forums about the God that Islam worships.

Better to talk to more widely educated christians then.
Reply 6
corey
Better to talk to more widely educated christians then.

Maybe I am just telling you that it is what I have found in my exeriance. I have been on a few forums ect where I have hear many people saying that the Islamic god is satan ect.
Reply 7
randdom
I am not a christian I was bought up by two atheist parents but I have always believed in god (to their annoyance) So when I hit 14 I decided that I was going to find the religion which best fitted the relationship I wanted to have with God. I spent a lot of time looking into the major religions especially christianity and I read the bible I attended a few services in different denominations but I just couldn't really get over the idea that we are all sinners and If you commit sin you go to hell. I didn't like some of the intollerence that is preached in christianity and other religions aswell saying that all people who follow any other religion aren't worshiping god and will go to hell ect. Because my personal belief is that all religions are worshipping god in their own way. Also I don't agree with the christian church's stance on lost of things like the fact that lust is a sin and homosexuality. I guess I just didn't like the fact that everything is dictated to you. Haveing read the bible I thought that it was a really good book and I do believe in alot of things that it teaches however I thought it should be used as a guide not as the hard line this is the only way ect. So in the end after alot of investiagtion I decided paganism was the way for me. But in the end the main flaw I find with christianity is the fact that you don't have much leway to form the relationship with god individually it is a bit to strictly laid out for my liking.

Heh, that's an awful example of the church screwing things up. Christianity is actually the religion that is supposed to focus far less on sins, and being sent to hell for such things, but rather stresses that believing in God is really all thats required of you, which in turn encourages you to do good. Reading the Bible you find that an individual's relationship with God is not limited at all, and that He can guide you in all manner of ways. You do not go to hell if you believe in God and try to do good if you're a homosexual. Christianity is definitely one of the world's most manipulated religion.
Reply 8
I see where you're coming from. There is alot of Christianity that I struggle with and I don't understand everything, such as why are homosexual feelings sinful if they are natural? But I believe that we can't pick and choose our religion...society today is used to having everything taylored to their every needs and I think religion is like that now...for example all the new age trends that are going about. Christianity from from the outside might look restricted, but believe me it's not...it's difficult to explain, but there is a freedom about it, a peace that comes with knowing/believeing that there is someone looking down on you.

The problem with non-christians is that Christians do believe that their faith (Jesus) is the only way to God and that other religions are false (I don't mean to offend people, sorry if I do). What makes it seem worse is that the other religions are excepting of other faiths believing that it doesn't matter what you believe in, as long as you call it "God" you'll be fine. Christianity is not an intolerant faith, but it is one that wants everyone to be part of it, it desires people to follow it, it's not that we don't want other faiths, its that we honestly don't think they will get you anywhere and we want everyone to get somewhere...if u see what i mean, being very incoherent tonight!

We don't say this blindly, the bible is an incredibly factual and proven to be historically sound book. I realise that it might sound restrictive, but its all got to be taken into context and decided if it is a command for us now, or just what the people needed at the time etc. I'm blabbering now, but I have so much to say about Christianity and Jesus that its hard to stop sometimes!
Reply 9
randdom
Maybe I am just telling you that it is what I have found in my exeriance. I have been on a few forums ect where I have hear many people saying that the Islamic god is satan ect.

To my knowledge, the 'higher' parts of christianity acknowledge that the major world religions worship the same God. You will often find alot of anti-Islam messages considering the political climate.
Reply 10
randdom
Haveing read the bible I thought that it was a really good book and I do believe in alot of things that it teaches however I thought it should be used as a guide not as the hard line this is the only way ect. So in the end after alot of investiagtion I decided paganism was the way for me. But in the end the main flaw I find with christianity is the fact that you don't have much leway to form the relationship with god individually it is a bit to strictly laid out for my liking.

If you have read the bible and you understand it you will understand that god lays out the way he wants to be worshiped and it is not dictated by chrisitianity.
Reply 11
corey
To my knowledge, the 'higher' parts of christianity acknowledge that the major world religions worship the same God.

That is not true.
Reply 12
What I don't get is:

As Christians where is the line between witnessing as Jesus instructed and the "judge not lest you be judged" aspect of CHristianity? I think this is where a lot of problems lie.
Reply 13
moncal
If you have read the bible and you understand it you will understand that god lays out the way he wants to be worshiped and it is not dictated by chrisitianity.

The bible is a christian text and is therefore dictated by christianity. Other relgions have texts which are different and also say how god should be worshipped. I believe that each religion worships god in a particular way and that no religion is any more right than any other. I feel that people follow the religion which best allows them to worship god in the way they want.
Reply 14
blissy
What I don't get is:

As Christians where is the line between witnessing as Jesus instructed and the "judge not lest you be judged" aspect of CHristianity? I think this is where a lot of problems lie.

Witnessing is telling others about God. What it means by the judgeing thing is that you should not judge someone for a sin if you are a sinner. One of the main points of christianity is that everyone is a sinner.
Reply 15
randdom
The bible is a christian text and is therefore dictated by christianity. Other relgions have texts which are different and also say how god should be worshipped. I believe that each religion worships god in a particular way and that no religion is any more right than any other. I feel that people follow the religion which best allows them to worship god in the way they want.

Dictated by God, interpreted by humans and CHristians. God/the Bible/Christianity/The CHurch inhabit a precarious place where the truth is all messed up with silly human faults.

Can I just add, that worship of God is not the same as organised religion. I can worship God by talking to him, not just by taking communion or singing in a chapel. :smile:
Reply 16
moncal
Witnessing is telling others about God. What it means by the judgeing thing is that you should not judge someone for a sin if you are a sinner. One of the main points of christianity is that everyone is a sinner.

Of course i know what witnessing is - but how can you identify who is in need of witnessing without judging their sins? It's difficult. The whole don't point out a speck of dust in someone else's eye unless yours is clear thing rings in my mind. I was just thinking about it the other day and thought I would have to ask my theology friend about it.
Reply 17
randdom

The bible is not dictated by christianity. The bible dictates christianity. The bible is the same today as it was when it was written except for differences in translation.
Reply 18
blissy
Dictated by God, interpreted by humans and CHristians. God/the Bible/Christianity/The CHurch inhabit a precarious place where the truth is all messed up with silly human faults.

Can I just add, that worship of God is not the same as organised religion. I can worship God by talking to him, not just by taking communion or singing in a chapel. :smile:
Very well said.

People seem to not get the difference between 'faith' and 'religion', religion can quite easily be knocked down and claimed 'irrational' and corrupt etc. However, faith is a completely different matter - faith is a powerful conviction a 'form of life' that is rational.
Reply 19
blissy
Of course i know what witnessing is - but how can you identify who is in need of witnessing without judging their sins? It's difficult. The whole don't point out a speck of dust in someone else's eye unless yours is clear thing rings in my mind. I was just thinking about it the other day and thought I would have to ask my theology friend about it.

My thought on witnessing is that if you witness to someone then even if they attack you God will do his work. If that person is a follower of God then maybe your mistakeing them for an unsaved individual will convict them to get right with God.

Latest

Trending

Trending