The Student Room Group

Can Christian couples disagree on evolution/age of the Earth?

My girlfriend and I are both Christian and have a very happy, healthy relationship. While I feel science strengthens my faith - and evolution or the Earth being 14 billion years old is in no way incompatible with the existence of God - she's a devout Baptist who takes Genesis rather literally. She believes God created Adam and Eve directly and the Earth was made in 6 days around 6000 years ago.

Even though it'd still be a few years away from happening, we've spoken in hypothetical terms about marriage and children since those are both life goals we share. She's said on several occasions that I'd make a great father/marriage partner and as Christians, we're both "dating to marry".

The other week though, I asked her what her criteria was for a life partner - "Did you just want someone who's saved?" She then said she also wants someone who shares the same ideas around, "How the world was made and evolution". This led to a very tearful discussion where I said I didn't want to lose her in the future. She got upset too and said she doesn't want to lose me and hopes we can find a way around it. She said "I'm sure we'll work something out" and was asking if I really think there's no way around it.

I asked her if there's anything else she wants in a life partner that I don't have and she said no - my theistic evolution is the ONLY thing that's a concern. She said it's fine if it's just us but she thinks teaching kids both evolution and creationism could be too confusing for them - maybe she's right ://

Does anyone have experience of differing values like this in Christian relationships? The thing that's giving me hope here is that she's equally as upset at the thought of this not working and really wants to find a way we can compromise.
I don't have experience of being in a relationship with a christian but I do have experience of church culture and friends who tried hard to convert me in the past.

Usually what "we'll sort something out" means is that she's hoping you'll compromise....by eventually totally agreeing with her.

How about you don't "teach" (indoctrinate!) your kids into any particular way of thinking and let them make their own minds up as they age?
There is no need to be teaching kids this **** at a very young age anyway.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by asdads
My girlfriend and I are both Christian and have a very happy, healthy relationship. While I feel science strengthens my faith - and evolution or the Earth being 14 billion years old is in no way incompatible with the existence of God - she's a devout Baptist who takes Genesis rather literally. She believes God created Adam and Eve directly and the Earth was made in 6 days around 6000 years ago.
Even though it'd still be a few years away from happening, we've spoken in hypothetical terms about marriage and children since those are both life goals we share. She's said on several occasions that I'd make a great father/marriage partner and as Christians, we're both "dating to marry".
The other week though, I asked her what her criteria was for a life partner - "Did you just want someone who's saved?" She then said she also wants someone who shares the same ideas around, "How the world was made and evolution". This led to a very tearful discussion where I said I didn't want to lose her in the future. She got upset too and said she doesn't want to lose me and hopes we can find a way around it. She said "I'm sure we'll work something out" and was asking if I really think there's no way around it.
I asked her if there's anything else she wants in a life partner that I don't have and she said no - my theistic evolution is the ONLY thing that's a concern. She said it's fine if it's just us but she thinks teaching kids both evolution and creationism could be too confusing for them - maybe she's right ://
Does anyone have experience of differing values like this in Christian relationships? The thing that's giving me hope here is that she's equally as upset at the thought of this not working and really wants to find a way we can compromise.
Unfortunately, all current creationist organizations misrepresent the book of Genesis. Therefore, both of you do not have the truth. However, the truth of creation is found here:
https://thyblackman.com/2023/07/02/devout-christians-the-whole-truth-of-biblical-creation-part-1-of-7/

A PowerPoint presentation is available that explains Genesis chapters one and two.
Original post by asdads
i'm also Christian but if you both disagree with something come up with a solution
Ironically both of you are wrong lmao. The earth is between 4-5 billion years old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending