The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

I've firmed Manchester for Biochemistry with a year in industry, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, my offer is AAA. At the interview they told me my offer was AAA instead of AAB or ABB because I had high predicted grades and they didn't want to discourage me from trying my hardest. Do you think they will still accept me with AAB? (B will probably be in Chemistry)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I'm interested in the BA Finance. Why is it that it is offered by the School of Social Sciences and not Manchester Business School as compared to IBFE?
Original post by Phoebe307
I've firmed Manchester for Biochemistry with a year in industry, I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, my offer is AAA. At the interview they told me my offer was AAA instead of AAB or ABB because I had high predicted grades and they didn't want to discourage me from trying my hardest. Do you think they will still accept me with AAB? (B will probably be in Chemistry)

I'm afraid it's impossible to tell in advance - it's largely going to depend on factors such as whether or not they have spaces left after they've accounted for everyone who did meet their offer

Original post by makrxx
I'm interested in the BA Finance. Why is it that it is offered by the School of Social Sciences and not Manchester Business School as compared to IBFE?

It's always been something of a mystery to me, though I'll note that business degrees are also run by SoSS, whereas management degrees are run by MBS (yes, this is rather odd in the minds of most!). However, where the two degrees have overlapping modules you'll be taught with MBS / IBFE students, and it's not going to make any difference to your future employability - either way, you'd write University of Manchester on your CV

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1563

If they are asking generally for the course AAB then they probably will take you if you slip a bit! But you can't know for sure x

Haha I in almost the exactly the same position as you! (Same course offer and chem is the one im worried about, 'Cept I do Politics instead of EngLit) Just hoping for the best as and I got the upper end of the grade requirements Im hoping they'll let me in if I slip a grade but fingers crossed it won't come to that though its looking likely :P
Original post by Soontobesuper
Haha I in almost the exactly the same position as you! (Same course offer and chem is the one im worried about, 'Cept I do Politics instead of EngLit) Just hoping for the best as and I got the upper end of the grade requirements Im hoping they'll let me in if I slip a grade but fingers crossed it won't come to that though its looking likely :P

Yeah that Chem5 exam.. borderline whether I got an A or not, I really don't know.. fingers crossed for both of us!
Reply 1566
Don't think I'm going to meet my offer for chemistry for ABB, will more likely get BBB :/
I'm hoping to do History at Manchester this year.

I've put Richmond Park as my first accommodation choice, is anyone else hoping to go there? It'd be nice to get to know people because I'm absolutely terrified to start University! ( I know this is normal :biggrin:) I know I'm being daft, but because I'm quiet and not a huge party animal, I'm really worried I won't make friends- hopefully this will be proved wrong in September! :redface:
Can someone give me some information about the Oak House? What's about it?
Reply 1569
I wanted to do cell biology and had an AAB offer, I have this niggling concern I got BBB though, sigh.
:wavey:

I've firmed Manchester for politics & modern history, with a conditional offer of AAB.

Accommodation wise, I've put Victoria Hall as first choice, with Canterbury Court and Opal Gardens as second and third choices.

I know Victoria Park is deemed to be fairly quiet, compared to Fallowfield, but it's the best fit for me.

My exams are over now, so just have to sit and wait, and wait...
Reply 1571
I have an unconditional offer to do Classics at Manchester in Sept 2014.

I live about half an hour away from Manchester and locally there are always stories going round about the crazy parties at Fallowfield, I can't wait!

Anybody else wanting to do Classics / stay in Richmond Park 2014? ^__^
Yeah that Chem5 exam.. borderline whether I got an A or not, I really don't know.. fingers crossed for both of us!

Yeah hopes! Do you do AQA? It was okay, but there were some really dodgy questions, and when you + in silly mistakes idk
Original post by Zyra
I have an unconditional offer to do Classics at Manchester in Sept 2014.

I live about half an hour away from Manchester and locally there are always stories going round about the crazy parties at Fallowfield, I can't wait!

Anybody else wanting to do Classics / stay in Richmond Park 2014? ^__^

I'm doing History, but I want to stay in Richmond Park, it's my first choice :biggrin:
Original post by Soontobesuper
Yeah hopes! Do you do AQA? It was okay, but there were some really dodgy questions, and when you + in silly mistakes idk

Yeah AQA for all subjects, don't know if that's a good thing after that Biol5, I hate all the HSW.. and I misread a question and was thoroughly confused by worms, phosphocreatine and the soil one.. :L what did you think, if you do AQA for biology?
Original post by katw123

I've put Richmond Park as my first accommodation choice, is anyone else hoping to go there? It'd be nice to get to know people because I'm absolutely terrified to start University! ( I know this is normal :biggrin:) I know I'm being daft, but because I'm quiet and not a huge party animal, I'm really worried I won't make friends- hopefully this will be proved wrong in September! :redface:

Hi I'm hopefully doing history and richmond is also my first choice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katw123

Hi I'm hopefully doing history and richmond is also my first choice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah AQA for all subjects, don't know if that's a good thing after that Biol5, I hate all the HSW.. and I misread a question and was thoroughly confused by worms, phosphocreatine and the soil one.. :L what did you think, if you do AQA for biology?

Yeah our sciences are AQA. Yeah Its annoying, its like you can know all the content but with the HSW and the dodgy mark schemes you just don't know. The worms ad the soil were definitely confusing, though I think I did the Phosphocreatine okayyy. I hope I wrote enough if the right think for the evaluations of studies but you just don't know. What did you think of the essay?
Reply 1578
Original post by katw123
I'm doing History, but I want to stay in Richmond Park, it's my first choice :biggrin:

Awesome! Hopefully see you there! ^__^
I got an offer for AAB for Biology with a year in industry (A in Biology, A in Geography and B in Chemistry) but I really don't think I've got a B in Chemistry. My coursework grade was really bad and I don't think I did enough to pull it up to a B. I'm hoping I got a C maybe, do you think they'd let me in with AAC? Anyone know of anyone where this has happened?

Also if you do drop a grade, is it then more of a matter of how close you were, say a few marks? Do they take that into consideration?

Fingers crossed but I'm going to prepare for clearing just in case...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending