The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Bcu

I really want to come to university here to stuffy filmmaking but am worried about the area and safety in Birmingham as I live in the country in a village, any advice?
Original post by Hdoanekdnd
I really want to come to university here to stuffy filmmaking but am worried about the area and safety in Birmingham as I live in the country in a village, any advice?

Hi @Hdoanekdnd

I felt similar to this when I was applying for BCU as I'm from a much smaller city, that is much quieter than Birmingham.

As with any big city, like London, Manchester, etc., Birmingham can be very overwhelming, especially when it's dark at night, but as I got used to the city and started learning where everything is, it got much easier and felt a lot safer when out in the city. My best advice for staying safe is to head out in groups, or with friends, especially during freshers', so you always have somebody with you if you need help, or get lost. Start by exploring the city during the day when it's light so you can learn your way around. This is the same for the campus too! If you've got some free time during Freshers', you could always see if you're flat mates want to have a wander to explore.

The key thing for keeping safe in any big city is to be aware of where you are, where you're going and have your phone on you. I find that if I plan my routes and/or transport before I leave my flat, I feel much more secure than if I were to just go outside and start walking with no idea about which bus I need, or where I'm going.

I would definitely recommend student halls for your first year, as most - if not all - student halls have security teams 24/7. That was also a reason I have stayed in halls in my second year, as it reassured me that someone was in the building that could help at all times.

It might be a bit daunting at first, especially if you're moving from a smaller village, and you'll notice the differences. But over time you'll start getting used to the city and uni, and you'll feel much more comfortable.

I hope this helps! And best of luck with starting uni! :smile:
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending