The Student Room Group

GCE and IAL cash in question

hi guys, i am kind of confused about this thing.. Last summer i did gce chemistry as units, but this summer as i am outside of the uk, i did the A2 units with IAL. My question is, will those so 6 be able to be combined to award a grade for chemistry overall? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by kcapsoccer
hi guys, i am kind of confused about this thing.. Last summer i did gce chemistry as units, but this summer as i am outside of the uk, i did the A2 units with IAL. My question is, will those so 6 be able to be combined to award a grade for chemistry overall? :/

Did you do AS with Edexcel? If so I think you're OK for a couple of reasons.

If you weren't then the exams officer of your current centre will have been flooded with warnings that you were attempting to cash-in A level without having taken AS.

The rules about transferring between AS and A2 ( http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-as-transfer-of-credit-arrangements-20132014 ) mention that you can't swap from CIE but don't mention this. It only says:

It is not possible to transfer components from an International Baccalaureate qualification.
Similarly, it is not possible to transfer a completed AS qualification as awarded by Cambridge
International Examinations (CIE).

However, I don't know the answer for certain and I recommend that you get your current centre to check asap, or try asking Edexcel yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Did you do AS with Edexcel? If so I think you're OK for a couple of reasons.

If you weren't then the exams officer of your current centre will have been flooded with warnings that you were attempting to cash-in A level without having taken AS.

The rules about transferring between AS and A2 ( http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-entry-information-incltransfer-of-credit/gce-as-transfer-of-credit-arrangements-20132014 ) mention that you can't swap from CIE but don't mention this. It only says:

It is not possible to transfer components from an International Baccalaureate qualification.
Similarly, it is not possible to transfer a completed AS qualification as awarded by Cambridge
International Examinations (CIE).

However, I don't know the answer for certain and I recommend that you get your current centre to check asap, or try asking Edexcel yourself.

Yes i did as with edexcel, sorry for not mentioning it!.. :/ thanks a lot i think it should be ok, but i will also check with edexcel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
P.s I am doing international Advanced level edexcel
Reply 4
I checked edexcel and on Pearson's website,it stated that a cash in can be done without doing all units and it will be marked with a #.I am just wondering if it is possible for the marks that come from a U to go towards a cash in.
Reply 5
Unit grades are only an indication and have no value. The overall grade is calculated on the total scored, regardless of the grade on each unit.

Quick Reply

Latest