The Student Room Group

2017 vet med students

Thought I'd start a thread for us students who are going into year 11!
Might sound early, but with the amount of work experience and revision needed; it's never to early.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yay, thanks :biggrin: I didn't feel... uh, brave.. enough to start one for our year :colondollar:
This thread is making me feel really old - I will be a a newly qualified vet by the time you lot go to University. :P
Original post by SilverstarDJ
This thread is making me feel really old - I will be a a newly qualified vet by the time you lot go to University. :P

Same... :eek:

:shakecane:
Reply 4
I'm one of those people that once the idea has popped into my head; it has to be done!Good luck to all those qulaifying when we start. You're going to be going into 2nd year?
Reply 5
So far I have:2 weeks in a SA vet3 days in another SA (doing 3 days every week)2 Years stables (1 day every week or 2 in the holidays)Will have a kennel placement when they open up again from refurb.Struggling for farma and LA. Any help?
I never understood why there was GCSE threads on TSR anyway, they're not particularly difficult and the only importance they stand for is to make sure they're good enough to get into A-Levels...
You guys are early! Well done to anyone who has started work experience already, just remember that some universities have cut-offs on how far back you can count it, so it's probably not worthwhile to go crazy just yet. :smile:

Just to introduce myself, I'm Tails and I live in London. I'm hoping to apply for 2015 entry in October (scary stuff!). Obviously it might be best to direct any queries you have to current students or 2014 applicants as I have limited knowledge, but if you do have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do. I'm happy to provide work experience contacts if anybody wants them :smile:

Original post by All-rounder
I never understood why there was GCSE threads on TSR anyway, they're not particularly difficult and the only importance they stand for is to make sure they're good enough to get into A-Levels...

This isn't a GCSE thread... it's a veterinary medicine thread. I don't know why you thought that was a necessary contribution. If there are enough 2017 applicants on here then why not make this thread? The 2015 version was made when the people were in year 11, and that was reasonably active.
Reply 8
Wow you guys are very keen! I'm a (almost) 2nd year vet student at the RVC, if any of you have any questions about vet school or RVC in particular, feel free to message me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've just done a week (well, almost, I was unfortunately ill on one day, but will be going back to do another day or two at some point) at a SA vets, it was so good! There were barely any operations, but I saw a castration, lumpectomy surgery and lots of consultations. It was interesting talking to the vets.
I have a week at a kennels and cattery, a week at a stables, a week at a pet shop and two weeks dairy booked so far, but the dairy isn't until next summer. Sometime this week I'm going to phone an equine vets, since the LA vets near me only takes A-Level students for work experience.

Original post by Little Tail Chaser

Just to introduce myself, I'm Tails and I live in London. I'm hoping to apply for 2015 entry in October (scary stuff!).

Good luck with your application! :smile:
You guys are early! Well done to anyone who has started work experience already, just remember that some universities have cut-offs on how far back you can count it, so it's probably not worthwhile to go crazy just yet. :smile:

Just to introduce myself, I'm Tails and I live in London. I'm hoping to apply for 2015 entry in October (scary stuff!). Obviously it might be best to direct any queries you have to current students or 2014 applicants as I have limited knowledge, but if you do have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do. I'm happy to provide work experience contacts if anybody wants them :smile:

This isn't a GCSE thread... it's a veterinary medicine thread. I don't know why you thought that was a necessary contribution. If there are enough 2017 applicants on here then why not make this thread? The 2015 version was made when the people were in year 11, and that was reasonably active.

People that will be applying in 2017 are currently in their GCSE years, thus, GCSE thread.
Original post by nox1
I've just done a week (well, almost, I was unfortunately ill on one day, but will be going back to do another day or two at some point) at a SA vets, it was so good! There were barely any operations, but I saw a castration, lumpectomy surgery and lots of consultations. It was interesting talking to the vets.
I have a week at a kennels and cattery, a week at a stables, a week at a pet shop and two weeks dairy booked so far, but the dairy isn't until next summer. Sometime this week I'm going to phone an equine vets, since the LA vets near me only takes A-Level students for work experience.

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Sorry to hear that you've been ill (hope you're feeling better now!), but I'm glad you enjoyed your week at the vet :smile: . It's a shame that there wasn't more surgery going on, but it sounds like what was going on were fairly common procedures so it was good that you were able to see what vets do on a day to day basis. It sounds as if you have everything planned out for the next few months, good for you for being so organised :smile: . Dairy work is definitely something to look forward to, it's great fun :biggrin: .

Thanks, I'll need it! :lol:

People that will be applying in 2017 are currently in their GCSE years, thus, GCSE thread.

Nope. Unlike lawyers, which can get onto their course by spending a week at a solicitor and watching an episode of 'Law and Order', vets are often working towards their applications (which involve more than good grades and an admissions test) months or years in advance. They'll have plenty to discuss, don't worry :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Sorry to hear that you've been ill (hope you're feeling better now!), but I'm glad you enjoyed your week at the vet :smile: . It's a shame that there wasn't more surgery going on, but it sounds like what was going on were fairly common procedures so it was good that you were able to see what vets do on a day to day basis. It sounds as if you have everything planned out for the next few months, good for you for being so organised :smile: . Dairy work is definitely something to look forward to, it's great fun :biggrin: .

Thanks, I'll need it! :lol:

Thanks, I'm fine, it only lasted a day luckily! Haha thanks :smile: I am SO excited for the dairy work! Cowwwsssss!! :biggrin:
I'm sure you will be fine! :wink:

Nope. Unlike lawyers, which can get onto their course by spending a week at a solicitor and watching an episode of 'Law and Order', vets are often working towards their applications (which involve more than good grades and an admissions test) months or years in advance. They'll have plenty to discuss, don't worry :smile:

Oh dayum, let's not turn this into a profession war.
Plus I pity anyone who actually thinks that it's true that you can get onto Law courses that easily. We have to work towards our applications too, we need experience with law if we want to get into a Russell Group Uni.
whilst we're learning Law, a field that you have to keep up with the constant changes of precedent, all you guys need to do is learn how to write on a prescription pad and memorise layouts of medicine cabinets.

Also, I've never actually watched Law and Order, is it any good?
Original post by nox1
Thanks, I'm fine, it only lasted a day luckily! Haha thanks :smile: I am SO excited for the dairy work! Cowwwsssss!! :biggrin:
I'm sure you will be fine! :wink:

It always happens at the most inconvenient times, doesn't it? :rolleyes: . Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Cows are lovely :biggrin: Next year I'll have a couple of afternoons off school and the farmer at the place I went to has confirmed that he'd be happy for me to do an afternoon there every week, I can't wait! :biggrin:

Here's one of the gorgeous girlies that lives there :h:
COW.jpg
Reply 15
Hiya
Can I ask where the farm is because I'm close to London :-)
Reply 16
Gosh... somebody's organised :giggle:

I was about to post about how far away this is, but then I realised it's only 3 years.
Time flies.
Oh dayum, let's not turn this into a profession war.
Plus I pity anyone who actually thinks that it's true that you can get onto Law courses that easily. We have to work towards our applications too, we need experience with law if we want to get into a Russell Group Uni.
whilst we're learning Law, a field that you have to keep up with the constant changes of precedent, all you guys need to do is learn how to write on a prescription pad and memorise layouts of medicine cabinets.

Also, I've never actually watched Law and Order, is it any good?

You're right mate, I apologise. Also all of the vet practices that I've been to have machines that print stickers with prescriptions on, so we don't even have to do that. Vets have super easy jobs, plus they have really short working hours, all of their clients are really co-operative, and to top it off vets get paid BUCKETLOADS, it's amazing :biggrin:

I dunno, I've never seen it.
Reply 18
Original post by pphilip99
Hiya

Oh, it's not near London, it's in the East of England :tongue: but I found it through this website :http://www.localsearch24.co.uk/ , you may be able to find one near you - it doesn't have every farmer on there, but it has a fair few! locallife.co.uk is also a good one for farmers :smile:
Original post by pphilip99
Hiya

Of course, I'll drop you a PM :smile:

Quick Reply