The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Mignolet is the only one who can give himself the pat on the back. The 4 infront of him should be ashamed.
Original post by samir12
Good thing that the season isn't defined by one game. But I agree with you.

But of course it isn't one game. Been woeful all season.

Their strikers are Ballotelli and Lambert. And that defence....

I'm not going into it all cause it's plain as day. I'm sure Liverpool fans will call it a freak game and say any day now Ballotelli will be firing on all cylinders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Logic dictates that you shouldn't get anything against Real Madrid but football's so crazy that you might win
Original post by Arkasia
I said Liverpool you muppet, not Liverpool fans. They should enter the dressing room with their heads held low.

Coutinho doesn't deserve much praise either. Constantly fouling QPR, stalling play, and his goal would've been saved.

fair play
yes coutinho could've been criticised for holding up the QPR free kick but that's grasping at straws at best.
the reason we let that goal in wasn't coutinho's fault, it was us being typically embarrassing from set pieces.

i'm notrmally critical of mignolet but i don't think he could've done much more in that match.
he's definitely a hot and cold keeper, but i didn't see any massive mistakes from him and he saved us really well on more than a few occasions.

Original post by hayles101
After this game I'd happily put a years salary on Liverpool finishing outside the top 4.

By far worst defence and worst attack of any top 4 contender.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good luck with that.
it's harsh to criticise our attack and defence when we were missing players from both sides.
fair play dissing our midfield since we had everybody there but without sturridge up front and our full backs in defence, it isn't an accurate criticism of the team as a whole.

i don't blame you being annoyed though, we didn't deserve any points let alone 3.
if the same happened for united i'd be fuming and i'd probably come to your thread and make myself feel better by dissing your team too.
Sterling was boss
I like how the QPR defenders denied Balo goals on two occasions by scoring them themselves before the ball could reach him lol.

It would probably have been a safer bet to let Balo take the shots, he would have found a way to miss.
(edited 9 years ago)
any mid-tabled team would've beaten us 4-0 there.

oh well, a win is a win and amazingly we're somehow 5th after having the worst set of performances i've ever seen from us.
Original post by Lúcio
fair play
yes coutinho could've been criticised for holding up the QPR free kick but that's grasping at straws at best.
the reason we let that goal in wasn't coutinho's fault, it was us being typically embarrassing from set pieces.

i'm notrmally critical of mignolet but i don't think he could've done much more in that match.
he's definitely a hot and cold keeper, but i didn't see any massive mistakes from him and he saved us really well on more than a few occasions.

good luck with that.
it's harsh to criticise our attack and defence when we were missing players from both sides.
fair play dissing our midfield since we had everybody there but without sturridge up front and our full backs in defence, it isn't an accurate criticism of the team as a whole.

i don't blame you being annoyed though, we didn't deserve any points let alone 3.
if the same happened for united i'd be fuming and i'd probably come to your thread and make myself feel better by dissing your team too.

But bar Sturridge, who isn't playing for another 7 games, isn't that your starting XI?

I don't think it's harsh to say I don't think you'll get top 4, that is of course an opinion. I'm sure you think you will and many think we won't.

But your right I am annoyed, not just cause it's Liverpool. If it was any team competing with us. Because as you said it was so undeserved. Can't help but think this will let Brendan paper over the cracks though. The press will be off his teams back now. Very lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Southampton will take 4th.
But bar Sturridge, who isn't playing for another 7 games, isn't that your starting XI?

I don't think it's harsh to say I don't think you'll get top 4, that is of course an opinion. I'm sure you think you will and many think we won't.

But your right I am annoyed, not just cause it's Liverpool. If it was any team competing with us. Because as you said it was so undeserved. Can't help but think this will let Brendan paper over the cracks though. The press will be off his teams back now. Very lucky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah, manquillo and moreno are ahead of johnson and enrique respectively
i know it's just 2 fullbacks but that can make a massive difference.

as a fan i of course hope we make top 4.
but based on our start to the season we are absolutely NOWHERE NEAR.
then again, neither are you:colone:

actually, i'm not so sure that the press will get off our back, simply because it was so lucky, so undeserved.
people may argue that a win is a win (which it is) but a lot of criticism will come from the fact that we needed so much luck to beat the undisputed worst team in the league.
That was something :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brendan knows about the cracks, he just can't seem to sort it out. Rodgers himself just admitted that we were lucky and QPR didn't deserve to lose.

Rodgers needs to buy a striker in Jan. As you said, Balo and Lambert are not good enough. Defence is more of an organisation problem, we could have WC defenders and still be ****, whoever is our defensive coach should be fired.

Emre Can, Johnson and Enrique haven't been in our usual starting XI.
(edited 9 years ago)
thank god i can't watch the match on wednesday.
never been so happy to be working.

then again as somebody said, football is crazy - anything could happen on a european night at anfield regardless of how bad we are right now.
We were so unbelievably **** in that game it's unreal. We were extremely fortunate that the pendulum swung in our favour, we could have easily lost 4-0 to QPR but that's football for you-you don't always get the result you deserve.

I feel sorry for Mignolet he's a decent keeper but having such a poor back 4 in front of him isn't helping him out one bit. We seriously need a leader in defense someone who can organise the back 4 and lead it because during set pieces we are just laughably bad.

I don't want Balotelli to be anywhere near the starting XI, I can't believe he missed that sitter. He honestly reminds me of Voronin. Rodgers needs to have a stern word with him because Balo's been very selfish in the games he has played for us. I'd rather stick up Lambert up front at least he'll give it his all and he won't be as selfish as Balotelli has been.

Wednesday night is gonna be fun, looks like Real Madrid will play the 'how many goals can we put past Liverpool' game.
Suarez to Balotelli feels like a Ronaldo to Valencia style downgrade. But then at least Valencia was a good system player who could be very effective in a limited way, with Balotelli you're accepting he'll disrupt your system while hoping for some individual brilliance to make up for it. It was a strange signing, and a massive gamble that clearly isn't working. And I can't see how he plays well with Sturridge, neither will really want to drop off. Early days I suppose...

Last season when your defence was awful most people said it was because of the system, but today was just an inability to deal with long punts forward. That's a personnel issue surely?
Reply 3995
Original post by Lúcio
any mid-tabled team would've beaten us 4-0 there.

oh well, a win is a win and amazingly we're somehow 5th after having the worst set of performances i've ever seen from us.

Worst? Na, nothing beats the Hodgson era.
Original post by The.Joker
I don't want Balotelli to be anywhere near the starting XI, I can't believe he missed that sitter. He honestly reminds me of Voronin. Rodgers needs to have a stern word with him because Balo's been very selfish in the games he has played for us. I'd rather stick up Lambert up front at least he'll give it his all and he won't be as selfish as Balotelli has been.

i said it before and i'll say it again; balotelli is garbage.
he doesn't score, he doesn't assist, he makes almost no runs and he creates no space for our other players.
he's just a disruption and i seriosuly don't think we'd be much worse off going forward if he wasn't there and we had 10 men.

it's a no brainer between balotelli and lambert tbh.
the latter may be older and slower but he puts 100% in every single games.
he has experience, he's great for holding up play and laying it off, not to mention he can actually put the ball in the back of the net.

rodgers has given balo plenty of chances, surely now he must relegate him to the bench for the forseeable future.
it just reminds me of wenger never wanting to drop ozil, although the difference is that the german actually does something good once in a while.

Wednesday night is gonna be fun, looks like Real Madrid will play the 'how many goals can we put past Liverpool' game.

single figures would be nice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3997
Original post by Some random guy
Southampton will take 4th.

Wouldn't even rule it out. Liverpool aren't good enough, we're [man utd] far from being 'fixed,' and Tottenham look a mess under Pottechino. Hell, even Arsenal look a mess. Chelsea and City will be the top 2; past that, who knows.
Original post by samba
Wouldn't even rule it out. Liverpool aren't good enough, we're [man utd] far from being 'fixed,' and Tottenham look a mess under Pottechino. Hell, even Arsenal look a mess. Chelsea and City will be the top 2; past that, who knows.

maybe there will be a shock
but until christmas i'm gonna assume arsenal, united and spurs are our main rivals this season.
Love this tweet:

"Sterling has to be applauded for realising that passing to QPR defenders was going to be more effective than passing to Balotelli."

https://twitter.com/paulsinha/status/523842742712299520

Small positive was that we looked threatening from the counter attack (two of our goals came from it and basically forced the QPR defence to bottle it with the own goal and deflection), that is really our only hope on Wednesday.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest