The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Computing/Computer Science First Years?

Hey everyone,

I haven't found too many people studying Computing/Computer Science, so thought I'd start a thread to try and find some more :smile:

I'm studying Computing, and hoping to change to Computer Science after the first year. If anyone is doing any related course, feel free to post here :biggrin:

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm starting a Masters in Computer Engineering :smile:. I looked into doing a Computer Science course myself last year, but while i really enjoy all aspects of computing such as gaming, programming etc. I really enjoy the topics covered by the Comp Eng course.

Hope you enjoy your course, i'm sure there's a few topics that cross over between the computing degrees, quite common in the first year of most degrees i'm told :biggrin:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Hi

I am studying Computer Science 1st year. I think that Computing and Computer Science have the same lessons for the first year, So see you in class. :smile:
Going into 2nd year Software Engineering.
I am going into Computer Science 1st Year.
Reply 5
hey, im forensic computing first year!!
computer science 1st year :smile:
Hi I am gonna be doing the same course as you guys. Anyone going to any of their Open Days? 14th is fully booked (I guess?) unfortunately, So.. :frown: I would have to miss a day at college to go on the 18th.

Anyone else is going to or have been to their previous open days? If you have, how was it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey, I've applied and firmed for computing first year for the G400 course. Good to find other people who are going
Hey, I'm also starting the course in September, cant wait to meet like minded people and hopefully start working on some really awesome projects !
Reply 10
I'll hopefully be starting in September to do Computer Science, looking forward to meeting you all :smile:
Reply 11
Pro tip from someone just finishing Computer Science first year...make sure you know your maths basics before coming, saves so much time and effort :smile:
Original post by achlys
Pro tip from someone just finishing Computer Science first year...make sure you know your maths basics before coming, saves so much time and effort :smile:

Is there anything specifically in terms of maths you would recommend going over?
Reply 13
Mathematical skills A: Basic algebra (negative numbers, fractions, BIDMAS, solving simple linear equations) , B: Powers (basic rules, negative and fractional power, simplifying expressions), C: Functions - (notation used for functions, composite functions), D: Graphs - (co-ordinates, graphs of functions and the straight-line graph), E: Matrices - (order, addition, subtraction, multiplication), F: Set (basic set operations), G: Logic (truth tables, the algebra of propositions), H: Logarithms - (understanding the concept, basic rules)

Taken from the spec :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MarvGaran
Is there anything specifically in terms of maths you would recommend going over?

Really, just making sure you're good with algebra will be enough, maybe look into binary also. Other than that you should be good with little to no prior knowledge.
Original post by achlys
Really, just making sure you're good with algebra will be enough, maybe look into binary also. Other than that you should be good with little to no prior knowledge.

Okay thanks
Original post by MarvGaran

adding to what achlys said, Learn proof by induction too if you already haven't (its in FP1 maths module)
Cheers for the heads up !

Just out of wonder how are you final years finding your options after the course finishes to be panning out ?
Reply 18
Hi, I applied for 1st Year Computer Science this year

There seems to be more folks doing Computing than Computer Science and Software Engineering.

:smile: hope to see you all on September.
Hey guys ill be a second year Forensic Computing student, but any student with computing in the name all be in 5 of the same lectures in the first year out of 6. Forensics students for computing you are in for a whirlwind of a year !! if you can see it out you will love it but the first few months the head of computing with scrutinise you to see if your cut out for uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending