The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GradMedEntry
Hi,

I'm a newly qualified nurse and work full time at UCLH in London, I also have work experience as a HCA and volunteering experience. Does anyone know if Kings are also no longer accepting adult nursing courses? I seen on the website they are only accepting Science course for 2016 entry.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

As far as I know they've only just announced that so your best bet would be to ring or email kings themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 201
Hi,

I'm a newly qualified nurse and work full time at UCLH in London, I also have work experience as a HCA and volunteering experience. Does anyone know if Kings are also no longer accepting adult nursing courses? I seen on the website they are only accepting Science course for 2016 entry.

I've emailed them and are awaiting a reply. I'll let you know their response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Afaik they're still ok with degree nurses but I've heard on the grapevine they'll no longer take diploma nurses
Hi,

Hello,

You work at UCLH, I work as a HCA there :smile:
Original post by liam__
I've emailed them and are awaiting a reply. I'll let you know their response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please let me know if you can! Thanks
Reply 205
Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply for GEM for 2016 entry. I'll probably be the oldest person on the course being 42 at the moment!

The reason I am planning on changing direction so radically is because I've worked for many years in IT, lately in a freelance consulting role but it just doesn't offer the same satisfaction that I believe would come with working with people, i.e. spending my energies, brainpower and life experience helping people.

The commercial world is OK(ish) and I like technology but there's been something fundamental missing for a long time.

I have been volunteering in a hospital since November 2014 and am looking at UKCAT prep materials already. Ouch.

The difficulty of the UKCAT and the evident quality of candidates as represented in this forum is disheartening me a bit though. I guess I'm going to have to really push the boat out to be successful!

And I suppose I need to answer that most fundamental question - "Do I really really really want to do this?" :smile:
Reply 206
Original post by hjr2000
Hi all

Hey! Welcome :smile: I can definitely relate to what you say about wanting to work with people - that's one of my primary reasons for doing this too. Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by oojebooje
Hello,

You work at UCLH, I work as a HCA there :smile:

Oh really! You applying for 2016 entry aswell?
Do not be disheartened hrj2000, I am in the wrong side of my 30s (!) and interviewed this year at St George's and was offered a place (which I am now deferring to 2016), and I felt that the additional life experience helped me at interview.
Good luck and don't give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, does anyone have a link or a list of which universities accept applications from final year undergraduates? Sometimes the websites are a little vague
Reply 210
Original post by bucko
Hey guys, does anyone have a link or a list of which universities accept applications from final year undergraduates? Sometimes the websites are a little vague

I don't have a list (sorry!) but I remember reading that Warwick do (though they also say that such applicants are less likely to be successful).
Okay I've done a bit of digging for anyone else interested in applying based on a predicted degree class in final year instead of with an achieved degree class after graduation.

Every university with a GEM Programme, except Birmingham, will accept applicants based on a predicted degree class. I didn't contact Cambridge (because I don't have the A Level requirements), Leicester (because the course isn't running in 2016) and Imperial (because I'm not a millionaire) so sorry I can't help with these.
Hi everyone,

I just had a really quick question re. Cambridge, does anyone know if they would accept an application with a predicted AS Level? (do they give out conditional offers basically?)

I'm doing Chemistry and Biology A-Levels at the moment and will finish those next summer (2016, so I'm actually 2017 entry), and I was planning to re-take my Maths AS level as it was appalling the first time round all those years ago, but would plan to take that in summer 2017, i.e. after I've applied in September 2016...

I work full time so would really rather not take it alongside my Chem and Bio A-Levels, getting the time off for exams is hard enough let alone the actual time for studying.
Many thanks for your help!
Original post by bucko
Okay I've done a bit of digging for anyone else interested in applying based on a predicted degree class in final year instead of with an achieved degree class after graduation.

Every university with a GEM Programme, except Birmingham, will accept applicants based on a predicted degree class. I didn't contact Cambridge (because I don't have the A Level requirements), Leicester (because the course isn't running in 2016) and Imperial (because I'm not a millionaire) so sorry I can't help with these.

Cambridge so accept final year applicants, however they are notorious for rejecting them post-interview and encouraging them to reapply following completion of their degree. Imperial also accept final year applicants.
Reply 214
Original post by Laffers78
Do not be disheartened hrj2000, I am in the wrong side of my 30s (!) and interviewed this year at St George's and was offered a place (which I am now deferring to 2016), and I felt that the additional life experience helped me at interview.
Good luck and don't give up.

Ah that's good Laffers :smile:

Definitely not giving up! What did you get in your UKCAT by the way?
Ha, I got a pretty weak UKCAT - 7th decile, I think it was 650? Anyway it wasn't enough for any London unis but I also sat GAMSAT and fortunately I made the cut-off for St George's GEM course this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216
Hi Laffers!

I was wondering what you studied for your undergrad?

I am an English Lit and German graduate, who received a 2:1 from Edinburgh University. Since graduated I have lived abroad in Argentina and Korea, working in publishing and as an English teacher. I currently work research for a television production company.

Since graduating I've thought very seriously about medicine, but never took the plunge as the idea seemed so fantastical.

I would love some well-rounded, grounded and honest advice about the chances of gaining entry. I know that it will take a lot of emotional and financial dedication to pass the UKCAT and GAMSAT, especially considering my lack of knowledge. However, if I am driven enough and am able to gain the correct grades - do you think it is possible?

I have signed up as a hospital volunteer in stroke unit, helping to feed elderly people and am also doing work experience with a surgeon - but from what I can see most people have significantly more experience than this. I am going to try my very best to get more, but working full-time, whilst studying, does make the problematic.

Any advice/guidance/tough love would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

x
Lynwoo, I did biochem at bristol (2:1) but it was ages ago! I have met plenty of non-science grads making the journey and absolutely believe it is possible. I am not sure if you need to focus more on gamsat or uKcAT unis with a non-science background; I have an inkling it may be gamsat ones? I did a short course by gradmed to help me with the gamsat.
as for your work experience - it sounds fab and much more extensive than mine - I am not sure about other unis but I found St George's are very open minded about what work experience consists of (eg caring for a sick relative).
Good luck :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ps your english lit skills would stand you in excellent stead for the first 2 sections of gamsat (the other section is the science one).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
Hi Laffers,

I just had a moment of sheer panic, where I thought "stop deluding yourself"!

I am prepared to put everything into the GAMSAT and UKCAT and have hopes that it would be enough to get the required grades. Although I am working full-time, I can dedicate 2 hours a day to study and more on the weekends - and with 6 months to go, I am hoping this is sufficient.

However, reading around the topic, if feels like most people applying either have done sciences for undergrad or have VASTS amount of work experience, which they have done for years. I have only now decided to tackle this burning issue head on and am wondering if 6 months voluntary work and 2-3 work experience placements would be enough for the admissions office to even consider me.

As I have lived abroad and worked in television, I have no concerns about my ability to be adaptable and work under pressure in a large team, but it's the science and work experience side of things that really distresses me!

Thanks so much for your speedy response.

x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending