The Student Room Group

LSE vs Cambridge (Economics)

I'm thinking about applying to both Cambridge and LSE for Economics. Obviously the competition is gonna be strong at both, but it would be interesting to know if anyone knows how LSE goes about choosing between applicants.
I'm aware that Cambridge place a large emphasis on average UMS and unit scores- do LSE do things differently (e.g. consider GCSEs more, extra curricular etc.) or are they similar in their decision making?

Scroll to see replies

Since LSE rarely ever interviews applicants I should think they are looking for incredibly good AS grades and an impeccable personal statement.
Reply 2
So not so much with regards to GCSEs then?
Reply 3
Original post by cp1996
So not so much with regards to GCSEs then?

LSE, due to the fact that it rarely interviews for Economics, will take into account everything, including GCSEs.

Cambridge is very GCSE-centric, in my experience.

If your AS results are above 90% UMS for each AS, then you have a reasonable chance at passing the first stage. But, like every top university, you will need a top notch Personal Statement.

Good luck. :smile:
Original post by cp1996
I'm thinking about applying to both Cambridge and LSE for Economics. Obviously the competition is gonna be strong at both, but it would be interesting to know if anyone knows how LSE goes about choosing between applicants.
I'm aware that Cambridge place a large emphasis on average UMS and unit scores- do LSE do things differently (e.g. consider GCSEs more, extra curricular etc.) or are they similar in their decision making?

The LSE Economics entry requirements page is:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2015/economics.aspx

It makes clear that they expect:

1) At A2 at least A*AA (A* in Maths), with at least one subject demonstrating writing ability.

2) 'High' AS grades - indicating ability to achieve the above.

3) GCSE's which have a majority at A* and A.

You can read the stuff about the PS, extra-curriculars etc yourself! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Tolstoy
LSE, due to the fact that it rarely interviews for Economics, will take into account everything, including GCSEs.

If your AS results are above 90% UMS for each AS, then you have a reasonable chance at passing the first stage. But, like every top university, you will need a top notch Personal Statement.

Thanks for that :smile:
Btw with the 90+, seeing as my Maths (and Further) and economics are all above 95s on average, will a lower french (161/200, meh) grade drag me down do you think?
Original post by Tolstoy

Cambridge are on record as stating that the main thing they look for is high UMS. They do not specifically target GCSE grades - which Oxford do - though of course the two frequently go together!
Original post by cp1996
Thanks for that :smile:
Btw with the 90+, seeing as my Maths (and Further) and economics are all above 95s on average, will a lower french (161/200, meh) grade drag me down do you think?

It will pull you down a little as they look most closely at your UMS average across your best 3 subjects - counting Maths and FM as one subject.

Ask the Christ's admissions tutor directly on

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801773&p=49517873#post49517873

if you want.
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
It will pull you down a little as they look most closely at your UMS average across your best 3 subjects - counting Maths and FM as one subject.

Ask the Christ's admissions tutor directly on

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2801773&p=49517873#post49517873

if you want.

I didn't even see that and it's the college I'm looking at aha :smile:
Thanks for the help
Original post by cp1996
I didn't even see that and it's the college I'm looking at aha :smile:
Thanks for the help

Experience (aka loitering on TSR) is a wonderful thing!

Ask away - he's a really nice guy and honest in his opinions.
Reply 10
Experience (aka loitering on TSR) is a wonderful thing!

Ask away - he's a really nice guy and honest in his opinions.

I remember seeing one the other day for Corpus last year and was hoping for another aha
Original post by cp1996
I remember seeing one the other day for Corpus last year and was hoping for another aha

It's the same person - he switched colleges.
Reply 12
It's the same person - he switched colleges.

That'd explain it :smile:
Its definitely worth applying if you have high grades / UMS . I think for the personal statement you need to be really honest about what your motivation is
Reply 14
Original post by sunnydespair
Its definitely worth applying if you have high grades / UMS . I think for the personal statement you need to be really honest about what your motivation is

I kinda already know what I wanna mention for the PS but writing it out is much harder :frown:
From what I've been reading, LSE do put a large emphasis on the personal statement. I know a friend of mine who applied last year to LSE for Econ and from reading his personal statement, it was literally just full of his desire and passion (he didn't mention the words lol) to study Econ as well as some books he read and somewhat critiquing it and linking the ideas to other areas of economics.

Although he got an offer, he marginally missed out in terms of his grades.
Reply 16
Original post by SteelCookie
From what I've been reading, LSE do put a large emphasis on the personal statement. I know a friend of mine who applied last year to LSE for Econ and from reading his personal statement, it was literally just full of his desire and passion (he didn't mention the words lol) to study Econ as well as some books he read and somewhat critiquing it and linking the ideas to other areas of economics.

Although he got an offer, he marginally missed out in terms of his grades.

That wouldn't surprise me about the PS for LSE... That's a shame, it's never nice seeing people miss offers for something they love to study :frown:
Oooh, I'm thinking about applying to LSE & Cambridge for Econ too! What AS did you do? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by oreoenthusiast
Oooh, I'm thinking about applying to LSE & Cambridge for Econ too! What AS did you do? :smile:

Awesome! I did Maths, Further Maths (bit weird seeing as I did c3 instead of an extra applied) Economics and French, wbu? :smile:
Original post by cp1996
Awesome! I did Maths, Further Maths (bit weird seeing as I did c3 instead of an extra applied) Economics and French, wbu? :smile:

Oh my god!!! That's so crazy, I did the EXACT same AS. I wish I had done C3 instead of an extra applied - maybe that way I could have avoided M1 (I hated it so much). Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending