The Student Room Group

Wearing dresses with tights?

I think I consider myself to like the idea of wearing tights with dresses, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of dress looks okay like should it have sleeves or what?

And also what kind of shoes looks best with tights for example if I have on black tights would black flats look okay?

And with patterned tights would you wear those with a plain dress? I know this question might sound silly but I not sure as to how to wear tights with a dress that would look cute.

So if anyone can help that'd be great thanks
Original post by xNcDianna
I think I consider myself to like the idea of wearing tights with dresses, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of dress looks okay like should it have sleeves or what?

And also what kind of shoes looks best with tights for example if I have on black tights would black flats look okay?

And with patterned tights would you wear those with a plain dress? I know this question might sound silly but I not sure as to how to wear tights with a dress that would look cute.

So if anyone can help that'd be great thanks

That's odd, I didn't know people didn't wear tights with dresses, clearly much colder in Scotland. But normally I wear black tights with all my dresses body con ones and more floaty every day dresses, and like you said just with a pair of black pumps, last night i wore it with my knee high boots. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lyrical_lie
That's odd, I didn't know people didn't wear tights with dresses, clearly much colder in Scotland. But normally I wear black tights with all my dresses body con ones and more floaty every day dresses, and like you said just with a pair of black pumps, last night i wore it with my knee high boots. :smile:

Not in summer time ofc :smile: More autumny/early spring. See I wear tights with a skirt apart from in summer too, its only with short shorts that I never do.

As I said I liked the idea, but I'm not sure if it would ever go seeing as you wouldn't really wear a dress in winter and tights in the summer.

You made a good suggestion, perhaps I may wear nude tights with a dress :grin:
Original post by lyrical_lie

Nope, I don't normally always wear tights with my dresses!
Dresses and skirts is completely normal.. As long as it's not strappy sundresses. Usually looks better with boots, converse, brogues, anything really.

Don't wear patterned tights, they look chavvy now.
Reply 5
Original post by Olympiad
Nope, I don't normally always wear tights with my dresses!

What do you wear them with then?

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Dresses and skirts is completely normal.. As long as it's not strappy sundresses. Usually looks better with boots, converse, brogues, anything really.

Don't wear patterned tights, they look chavvy now.

Yeah I see, and thats true.

Patterned tights are chavvy idd :P

I prefer coloured ones; black, red, nude etc.
I wear tights with dresses, especially in the winter.
I would wear patterned tights depending what pattern and color they are and if it suits the dress.
I could sketch some examples for you, but only if you want to see :smile:

Generally, I think you can pull off nude tights in summer, with the bipolar weather in Britain - it's hard to judge how long the sunshine will last.

EDIT: Depending on the rest of your outfit, but black tights and black ballet flats still look good imo. It really just depends on the overall look you're looking for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lil3utterfly
I wear tights with dresses, especially in the winter.
I would wear patterned tights depending what pattern and color they are and if it suits the dress.
I could sketch some examples for you, but only if you want to see :smile:

Generally, I think you can pull off nude tights in summer, with the bipolar weather in Britain - it's hard to judge how long the sunshine will last.

EDIT: Depending on the rest of your outfit, but black tights and black ballet flats still look good imo. It really just depends on the overall look you're looking for.

Nice, I don't really wear nude tights in summer - much too hot for that sometimes - but you are right yes.

Thanks for the info!
Nice, I don't really wear nude tights in summer - much too hot for that sometimes - but you are right yes.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I don't think many people do. I've worn tights in summer before though (But that's because I'm self conscious about my legs. :colondollar:)

You're welcome :biggrin:
1. I tend to wear skater dresses or fitted dresses with tights for example:

- http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Episode+Frill+side+dress/187818621,default,pd.html

- http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=skater+dress&storeId=12552&productId=15867095&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33053

- http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=skater+dress&storeId=12552&productId=16169468&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33053

I'm not really comfortable wearing dresses without tights unless the dress is quite long, but if it's knee length or above I wear it with tights.

2. I practically live in tights and I wear them with flats (black flats mainly) or boots (when it's cold). I have these flats in different colours and they compliment tights well, to be honest most flats do:

- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tory+burch+reva&client=firefox-a&hs=wyu&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MV_8U8uvHuO60QWV74HQDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=633#channel=sb&q=tory+burch+reva+shoe&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

3. When I do wear patterned tights I'm normally wearing a plain black dress/skirt with a bright coloured blazer or cardigan to make the outfit pop.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lil3utterfly
Yeah, I don't think many people do. I've worn tights in summer before though (But that's because I'm self conscious about my legs. :colondollar:)

You're welcome :biggrin:

lol, how so if you don't mind me asking?

I prefer wearing skirts in summer.

Don't your legs get hot with tights on in summer lol.
Reply 11
Original post by Technetium
1. I tend to wear skater dresses or fitted dresses with tights for example:

- http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Episode+Frill+side+dress/187818621,default,pd.html

- http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=skater+dress&storeId=12552&productId=15867095&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33053

- http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?searchTerm=skater+dress&storeId=12552&productId=16169468&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&productIdentifier=product&catalogId=33053

I'm not really comfortable wearing dresses without tights unless the dress is quite long, but if it's knee length or above I wear it with tights.

2. I practically live in tights and I wear them with flats (black flats mainly) or boots (when it's cold). I have these flats in different colours and they compliment tights well, to be honest most flats do:

- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tory+burch+reva&client=firefox-a&hs=wyu&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MV_8U8uvHuO60QWV74HQDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1366&bih=633#channel=sb&q=tory+burch+reva+shoe&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

3. When I do wear patterned tights I'm normally wearing a plain black dress/skirt with a bright coloured blazeror cardigan to make the outfit pop.

Interesting, thanks for the links :smile:
lol, how so if you don't mind me asking?

I prefer wearing skirts in summer.

Don't your legs get hot with tights on in summer lol.

Haha, I guess I'm really not used to baring my legs so I like to cover them up :lol:

Same here. :biggrin:

They do actually :lol: Then I think to myself 'Why did I wear tights?" :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Lel at this thread
No. Just no. That would cause more of an eyesore than girls wearing black leggings and light coloured underwear... It's like like o_O*cringe*

Quick Reply

Latest