The Student Room Group

Getting a tutor for maths for year 11?

Hey,

I was thinking about getting a tutor for maths at the start of year 11, it's not that I'm bad at maths I'm getting B's so far but I want a A or possibly an A* when I do my gcse maths exams. It costs around £15-30 for an hour per week to get a tutor. Do you guys think it's worth it or should I just revise a lot ?
I would say, before you book the tutor, ask your school as to whether they run any weekly revision classes, or whether they could start one as it would benefit the pupils. Or perhaps ask your teacher if she'd be willing to give up one lunch time for a session with a group of you? In the end teachers want and have to get good grades from the class, and the better you do, the better it is for them!

Aswell as the fact that £15-30 is a lot of money to pay and in the end if you're aiming to go on to A level you can't be paying that all the time to get good grades:smile:

I would say study in your own time, and you'll be fine anyway! I went to a few revision Saturday sessions at my school before exams and achieved 2 A*s in GCSE maths and IGCSE.

If you do the past papers, you'll find it's fairly repetitive and most questions follow a pattern, with a bit of practice you'll be ready to ace the exams. Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 2
I had a tutor for just over a year and went from getting Ds and to getting a B in my Maths GCSE and it was honestly the best decision I made!
But I was really struggling with maths and I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own but you sound very bright so I'd say try on your own until about December and if you still haven't made any progress than book a tutor.
Just don't be one of them people who gets a tutor a few weeks before exams and then wonders why they didn't improve much (I had so many friends like this!)
Good luck in year 11 though! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue230699
Hey,

I was thinking about getting a tutor for maths at the start of year 11, it's not that I'm bad at maths I'm getting B's so far but I want a A or possibly an A* when I do my gcse maths exams. It costs around £15-30 for an hour per week to get a tutor. Do you guys think it's worth it or should I just revise a lot ?

It's worth it 100%
I got a tutor for all of the sciences and was very happy with the outcome! You're being offered amazing prices too- my tutors cost 30 per half hour!
Not only do you get the drive you need to succeed but you also get help with mock papers and support with areas you may leave if you're stuck on them.

I'm lucky enough to have received 1:1 maths tutoring at school, and it helped loads! Some of your weaker modules in maths can be directly targeted whereas in class you may have to focus on a broader range, and whilst revising on your own you may not fully comprehend the principles which can be super stressful(Especially with maths!)

Maybe see how you go for the first few weeks of Y11 and do some mocks and if you're not fully happy or confident definitely look in to it!
Also check out wether your school has after school revision sessions for maths- as mine did every morning and after school twice a week (3 months before exams though ffs)
Good luck! By the looks of your current grades you'll achieve easily!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Charletitia
I would say, before you book the tutor, ask your school as to whether they run any weekly revision classes, or whether they could start one as it would benefit the pupils. Or perhaps ask your teacher if she'd be willing to give up one lunch time for a session with a group of you? In the end teachers want and have to get good grades from the class, and the better you do, the better it is for them!

Aswell as the fact that £15-30 is a lot of money to pay and in the end if you're aiming to go on to A level you can't be paying that all the time to get good grades:smile:

I would say study in your own time, and you'll be fine anyway! I went to a few revision Saturday sessions at my school before exams and achieved 2 A*s in GCSE maths and IGCSE.

If you do the past papers, you'll find it's fairly repetitive and most questions follow a pattern, with a bit of practice you'll be ready to ace the exams. Good luck:biggrin:

Thank you for the help I really appreciate it :smile: my school does revision sessions after school in year 11 so I will go to them and revise a lot
Reply 5
Original post by Lottie97
I had a tutor for just over a year and went from getting Ds and to getting a B in my Maths GCSE and it was honestly the best decision I made!
But I was really struggling with maths and I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own but you sound very bright so I'd say try on your own until about December and if you still haven't made any progress than book a tutor.
Just don't be one of them people who gets a tutor a few weeks before exams and then wonders why they didn't improve much (I had so many friends like this!)
Good luck in year 11 though! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, I will see how maths goes until December if I feel that I won't be able to get an A I will book a tutor :smile: thanks again
Reply 6
Original post by Jasminem97
It's worth it 100%
I got a tutor for all of the sciences and was very happy with the outcome! You're being offered amazing prices too- my tutors cost 30 per half hour!
Not only do you get the drive you need to succeed but you also get help with mock papers and support with areas you may leave if you're stuck on them.

I'm lucky enough to have received 1:1 maths tutoring at school, and it helped loads! Some of your weaker modules in maths can be directly targeted whereas in class you may have to focus on a broader range, and whilst revising on your own you may not fully comprehend the principles which can be super stressful(Especially with maths!)

Maybe see how you go for the first few weeks of Y11 and do some mocks and if you're not fully happy or confident definitely look in to it!
Also check out wether your school has after school revision sessions for maths- as mine did every morning and after school twice a week (3 months before exams though ffs)
Good luck! By the looks of your current grades you'll achieve easily!

Thank you for helping now I know what I will do, I will see how I do in my mock exams in November if I feel I won't get an A at the end of year 11 I will get a tutor. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Blue230699
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it :smile: my school does revision sessions after school in year 11 so I will go to them and revise a lot

No problemo! I'm sure you'll ace it! Plus from year 10 now to year 11 you'll naturally get better, no-ones A* from year 9! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest