The Student Room Group

can i do English literature at A-level if i don't like to read ?

hi , i am currently in the process of picking my A-level options to send to colleges that i am applying too ,and i really like English lit I consistently get A*'s but really struggle reading a book I have no interest in. Do you think picking it for an AS would be fine as i feel like i am very good at analyzing and exploring larger ideas and connotations.

Also i will be doing the new english lit A-level specification, which has no coursework , just 2 exams for AS, I don't know how to feel about this because i normally do better in coursework and also can someone please look at the spec and tell me how difficult or different this new spec is from the old one http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engli...ec-at-a-glance

Thank you!
If you don't like reading, it would be foolish to take English Literature. The subject revolves around books, which you clearly have no interest in. Don't pick a subject solely because you think you might be good at it; the gap between GCSE and A level is huge anyway and there is no guarantee you'll find it easier than another subject. Instead, maybe see if you can do another subject which you will enjoy the content of more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Humzaawan123
hi , i am currently in the process of picking my A-level options to send to colleges that i am applying too ,and i really like English lit I consistently get A*'s but really struggle reading a book I have no interest in. Do you think picking it for an AS would be fine as i feel like i am very good at analyzing and exploring larger ideas and connotations.

Also i will be doing the new english lit A-level specification, which has no coursework , just 2 exams for AS, I don't know how to feel about this because i normally do better in coursework and also can someone please look at the spec and tell me how difficult or different this new spec is from the old one http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/engli...ec-at-a-glance

Thank you!

So is your problem that you don't like reading, or that you only like reading certain genres of books? It isn't entirely clear.

Presuming that the problem is the genre (because if you don't like books at all then English Literature would be a dreadful choice of A level), have the colleges you are looking at told you what books you would be studying? For example, at mine the year 12 theme is Victorian Literature, and they look at texts such as Mrs Warren's Profession as well as an awful lot of Thomas Hardy. (I think). If you get this information from your college you can look at the required books/ plays/ poems/ etc., and decide if they interest you.
Reply 3
I mean it's obviously better if you do like to read, but I know lots of people that don't read for fun and do well so I don't think it matters too much.

This link isn't working for me, and I did OCR anyway. :frown: Sorry. However I can tell you at AS we only had 2 set texts, one of which about 15 poems and one a novel so I'm sure you can handle that amount of reading lol. For the coursework we chose any three texts we wanted after 1900 so that's where I would say reading for fun would come in handy, but if there's no coursework now I doubt it's an issue.
Original post by troodon
I mean it's obviously better if you do like to read, but I know lots of people that don't read for fun and do well so I don't think it matters too much.

This link isn't working for me, and I did OCR anyway. :frown: Sorry. However I can tell you at AS we only had 2 set texts, one of which about 15 poems and one a novel so I'm sure you can handle that amount of reading lol. For the coursework we chose any three texts we wanted after 1900 so that's where I would say reading for fun would come in handy, but if there's no coursework now I doubt it's an issue.

Thanks , http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-literature-a-7711/spec-at-a-glance
Original post by LeFailFish
So is your problem that you don't like reading, or that you only like reading certain genres of books? It isn't entirely clear.

Presuming that the problem is the genre (because if you don't like books at all then English Literature would be a dreadful choice of A level), have the colleges you are looking at told you what books you would be studying? For example, at mine the year 12 theme is Victorian Literature, and they look at texts such as Mrs Warren's Profession as well as an awful lot of Thomas Hardy. (I think). If you get this information from your college you can look at the required books/ plays/ poems/ etc., and decide if they interest you.

I did look at the texts and they are not bad but not something i would read for fun , although i am very good at analyzing texts which is why i think i would be good at English
Original post by LamantChenille
If you don't like reading, it would be foolish to take English Literature. The subject revolves around books, which you clearly have no interest in. Don't pick a subject solely because you think you might be good at it; the gap between GCSE and A level is huge anyway and there is no guarantee you'll find it easier than another subject. Instead, maybe see if you can do another subject which you will enjoy the content of more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English is one of the subjects i enjoy most and i think I am very good at analyzing texts and writing essays but i doubt my ability to finish a book i have no interest in

Quick Reply

Latest