The Student Room Group

48÷2(9+3) = What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
48/2(9+3) do the brackets first using bidmad that leaves 48/2*12 and then that leaves just division and multiplication which are done in the order which they appear giving 24*12=388 and Google agrees with me

24*12=288:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
3.141592653 , sir.
288. Because of BIDMAS so convention of going left to right means the division is first - after completing the operation inside the bracket of course. Also did you think of using a calculator, which is actually programmed to take account of BIDMAS?
Original post by NikolaT
Some people interpret this question as (48/2)(12) in which case 288 is the right answer.

Everyone else is interpreting it as 48 / 2(12) in which case 2 is the right answer.

For the all the top grades I've gotten in maths over the past couple of years involving calculations much more difficult than that, I have no idea which of those is right.

For both of those expressions 288 is the right answer.
Source:https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48+%2F+2%2812%29
Source:https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48+%2F+2%2812%29
24 x 12 isn't it? Since you divide before you multiply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it not 2

I'm gonna fail a level maths
Reply 26
This is why you don't use argumentum ad populum.

BIDMAS, people. Come on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
lol I worked it out to be 2.

feeling proud of myself :biggrin:
For those saying that the 2 is not in the brackets thus is not included in the expansion, are wrong. If it were an algebraic expression along the lines of 2y(9+3) then that would equal 2y x 12 = 24y. Thus 48/24=2.

Also, imagine it as a fraction (if someone would actually like to make it a fraction, please do so as I can't in using my phone). So, 48 over 2(9+3). You would do the bottom bit first so you had a single number, making it 48 over 24, which cancels down to 2.

The answer is 2.
There can only be one answer in maths. The confusion lies in the way the sum is written.

As written: 48/2(9 + 3) reads as (48/2)*(9 + 3) = 24*12 = 288.

This is the answer.

If you want to end up with 2, the sum needs to read: 48/(2*(9 + 3)) = 48/(2*12) = 2.

That is, you need parenthesis to gather all terms other than 48 as a denominantor.

Should you want to verify, try typing the equation into any maths-based program like MATLAB or Maple or Wolfram Alpha online.
(edited 9 years ago)
288 bodmas
Reply 31
Original post by superduper9
There can only be one answer in maths. The confusion lies in the way the sum is written.

As written: 48/2(9 + 3) reads as (48/2)*(9 + 3) = 24*12 = 288.

This is the answer.

If you want to end up with 2, the sum needs to read: 48/(2*(9 + 3)) = 48/(2*12) = 2.

That is, you need parenthesis to gather all terms other than 48 as a denominantor.

Should you want to verify, try typing the equation into any maths-based program like MATLAB or Maple or Wolfram Alpha online.

**** just got serious
Original post by Sophsha
Why is it not 2

I'm gonna fail a level maths

If you're serious, think bodmas/bidmas/bedmas. You do the bit in the brackets, then because there's no powers or roots you go to the DM bit. Reading 48/2*12 left to right shows you that you do the division first then the multiplication in this case.
Reply 33
Original post by Ggmu!
lol I worked it out to be 2.

feeling proud of myself :biggrin:

Original post by Paralove
For those saying that the 2 is not in the brackets thus is not included in the expansion, are wrong. If it were an algebraic expression along the lines of 2y(9+3) then that would equal 2y x 12 = 24y. Thus 48/24=2.

Also, imagine it as a fraction (if someone would actually like to make it a fraction, please do so as I can't in using my phone). So, 48 over 2(9+3). You would do the bottom bit first so you had a single number, making it 48 over 24, which cancels down to 2.

The answer is 2.

Check again.
But isn't it the same as saying 48 ÷ 2 × (9+3)

48÷2 x 12 and because of BIDMAS

24 × 12 = 288

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35

Reply 36
Original post by CJKay
Check again.

i got a B in gcse maths, just let me have this. please.
Someone just use a flippin calculator

It is 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
These questions pop up on every website ever.

My interpretation of it, adhering to BIDMAS, BODMAS, PEDMAS, whatever, is the following:

48/2(9+3) Initially the brackets must be dealt with.

48/2(12) The decisive point; note you are STILL dealing with brackets, therefore that multiplication takes precedence.

48/24 = 2 ​The conclusion; the answer is two.
Original post by JuliusSeizure
Someone just use a flippin calculator

It is 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you put a x inbetween the 2 and the (9+3), so that it still means the exact same thing, then you get 288 instead of two. My maths teacher once told me 'a calculator does calculations, it can't do maths' and now I know what he means.

Quick Reply

Latest