The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What is Birmingham like?

Hi, I'm starting to look at unis, and am having a hard time narrowing down which unis I'm going to go to open days for - right now there's 12... Anyone at Birmingham?
1) What type of people do you generally get at Birmingham?
2) What are the performing arts societies like?
3) Is there a big booze culture?
4) What is accommodation like?
5) In self catered accommodation what are the kitchens like?
6) Anyone doing geography - opinions?
7) Anyone doing law - opinions?
Thanks!!
Reply 1
i've been at uni in birmingham for 3 years. im not a fan. can't wait to leave.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Any particular reason or just generally not a good atmosphere?
Original post by nmnorgan305
Hi, I'm starting to look at unis, and am having a hard time narrowing down which unis I'm going to go to open days for - right now there's 12... Anyone at Birmingham?
1) What type of people do you generally get at Birmingham?
2) What are the performing arts societies like?
3) Is there a big booze culture?
4) What is accommodation like?
5) In self catered accommodation what are the kitchens like?
6) Anyone doing geography - opinions?
7) Anyone doing law - opinions?
Thanks!!

I've been at Birmingham for 5 years and absolutely love it! I'll try and answer as many of your questions as I can :smile:

1) Literally every type of person you can imagine probably studies at Birmingham. It's a really multi-cultural university, with many international students and such a diverse range of cultures - it's great! There are also plenty of students from both state, grammar and private schools. There is such a diverse group of people!

2) Personally, I have not been involved in the performing arts societies, however just looking on the guild of students website (http://www.guildofstudents.com/groupsandvolunteering/studentgroups/groupsandsocieties/) , there are about 7 drama/theatre arts societies, and multiple music/dance groups.

3) Among some groups of students there is a big booze culture, however it is easily avoided if that's not your thing, and there are plenty of fun things to do in Birmingham without drinking alcohol! A lot of the Freshers' events are held in clubs/bars, but in my experience there are always some students who don't drink for whatever reason, and they still come and have fun :smile:

4) I lived in the Beeches (which I think is now called Liberty Gardens?!), which is around 25 min walk from the university. It was a really nice halls, quite quiet, but we were all still involved in Freshers' and things on campus. It is only around 10 mins from the Vale (main student halls location), so we didn't feel isolated. The majority of halls are on the vale (15min from campus) or Pritchatt's Park (5 min from campus), although some newer private ones have been built in SellyOak (5 mins from campus). They are all reasonably similar, usually flats of about 5-6 rooms which share a kitchen. Some have shared bathrooms too but some are ensuite. Halls of residences in Birmingham are pretty expensive, however rent on student houses from second year onwards is a lot cheaper than in other cities. Also, I know that this year not everybody got accommodation because of the sheer number of people who got a place at the uni (through clearing etc), but new private halls are going up all the time, and I don't think this should put you off applying. This website can tell you all about the different halls http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/halls/index.aspx

5) Our kitchen was shared between 5 of us, and we had an oven, hob, fridge freezer, microwave and plenty of cupboards. You usually have to get a kettle and toaster to share for the flat (tesco value ones are dirt cheap and work fine!). Usually the staff are pretty good at dealing with any problems, and are easy to contact. Our kitchen was perfectly adequate, just try and persuade your flatmates to help keep it clean! I think the kitchens are basically the same in all the halls, however I know that in Pritchatts House, each flat has around 14 people in, so the kitchen is obvs much larger, and is a little industrial-looking but still perfectly functional!

6)7) I don't do either of these subjects - sorry!

Hope this has been helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by toffeecrisp_
I've been at Birmingham for 5 years and absolutely love it! I'll try and answer as many of your questions as I can :smile:

1) Literally every type of person you can imagine probably studies at Birmingham. It's a really multi-cultural university, with many international students and such a diverse range of cultures - it's great! There are also plenty of students from both state, grammar and private schools. There is such a diverse group of people!

2) Personally, I have not been involved in the performing arts societies, however just looking on the guild of students website (http://www.guildofstudents.com/groupsandvolunteering/studentgroups/groupsandsocieties/) , there are about 7 drama/theatre arts societies, and multiple music/dance groups.

3) Among some groups of students there is a big booze culture, however it is easily avoided if that's not your thing, and there are plenty of fun things to do in Birmingham without drinking alcohol! A lot of the Freshers' events are held in clubs/bars, but in my experience there are always some students who don't drink for whatever reason, and they still come and have fun :smile:

4) I lived in the Beeches (which I think is now called Liberty Gardens?!), which is around 25 min walk from the university. It was a really nice halls, quite quiet, but we were all still involved in Freshers' and things on campus. It is only around 10 mins from the Vale (main student halls location), so we didn't feel isolated. The majority of halls are on the vale (15min from campus) or Pritchatt's Park (5 min from campus), although some newer private ones have been built in SellyOak (5 mins from campus). They are all reasonably similar, usually flats of about 5-6 rooms which share a kitchen. Some have shared bathrooms too but some are ensuite. Halls of residences in Birmingham are pretty expensive, however rent on student houses from second year onwards is a lot cheaper than in other cities. Also, I know that this year not everybody got accommodation because of the sheer number of people who got a place at the uni (through clearing etc), but new private halls are going up all the time, and I don't think this should put you off applying. This website can tell you all about the different halls http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/halls/index.aspx

5) Our kitchen was shared between 5 of us, and we had an oven, hob, fridge freezer, microwave and plenty of cupboards. You usually have to get a kettle and toaster to share for the flat (tesco value ones are dirt cheap and work fine!). Usually the staff are pretty good at dealing with any problems, and are easy to contact. Our kitchen was perfectly adequate, just try and persuade your flatmates to help keep it clean! I think the kitchens are basically the same in all the halls, however I know that in Pritchatts House, each flat has around 14 people in, so the kitchen is obvs much larger, and is a little industrial-looking but still perfectly functional!

6)7) I don't do either of these subjects - sorry!

Hope this has been helpful :smile:

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending