The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Ask a Sheffield Hallam student anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Physflop
Everything I've seen just says you can only get student finance once, if you find out otherwise please tell me haha!

I think it has to do with what your second degree actually is

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/ive-already-got-a-uk-honours-degree--can-i-get-funding-for-more-higher-education/

Mine is healthcare (radiography) so I think I'm still eligible for something, hopefully. I'm going to call up student finance England to double check though, better to know one way or another now rather than later.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by agentdalecooper
I think it has to do with what your second degree actually is

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/ive-already-got-a-uk-honours-degree--can-i-get-funding-for-more-higher-education/

Mine is healthcare (radiography) so I think I'm still eligible for something, hopefully. I'm going to call up student finance England to double check though, better to know one way or another now rather than later.

Yea mine is physiotherapy so I get a non means tested grant each year but that's different to student finance :smile:
You might still be able to get some maintenance loan from student finance aswell though, cause it's a proffesional degree.
Hey I have a few questions. What's the transport like and how much will it cost? (Do I need a pass or something?) I will be based at Collegiate so how far is it from the city centre and train station? Are there local buses near that campus or is just the SHU buses that they run? Also, what is there in the area? I am considering Victoria Halls, how far is it from the city centre (thinking about work) and the campus?

These are my questions so far... :wink:
Original post by Socialwork123
Hey I have a few questions. What's the transport like and how much will it cost? (Do I need a pass or something?) I will be based at Collegiate so how far is it from the city centre and train station? Are there local buses near that campus or is just the SHU buses that they run? Also, what is there in the area? I am considering Victoria Halls, how far is it from the city centre (thinking about work) and the campus?

These are my questions so far... :wink:

Transport is really good, sorry no idea on the cost though! Collegiate is about a 20 min walk to the city centre. There's local buses that run regularly down ecclesall road (directly outside the campus). Victoria is about 15 mins from collegiate and about 10 mins from the city centre (both walking distances) there's also Devonshire courtyard and opal 1 literally right next to Victoria if you wanted other options
I have applied for accommodation and chose Victoria hall and Trigon. However I'm being told that Trigon is really far out the way for me as I'm studying at collegiate campus, does anybody have an opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Hannahbear60
I have applied for accommodation and chose Victoria hall and Trigon. However I'm being told that Trigon is really far out the way for me as I'm studying at collegiate campus, does anybody have an opinion?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I've never been to or from Trigon but looking at the map it look as if it'd be about the same walking distance as from Victoria Halls
Original post by Mogzy
Hi, I've never been to or from Trigon but looking at the map it look as if it'd be about the same walking distance as from Victoria Halls

Have you ever been to opal 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Have you ever been to opal 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically no, although it is across the road from Victoria Halls :smile: so it's the same walking distance :smile:
Original post by Mogzy
Technically no, although it is across the road from Victoria Halls :smile: so it's the same walking distance :smile:

Where are you staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Where are you staying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm staying at Victoria Halls currently :smile:
Original post by Mogzy
I'm staying at Victoria Halls currently :smile:

That's my first choice what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I am currently a first year student at SHU and just thought I would check the forums to see if I can help any of you out as I know how stressful coming to uni is.

First off accommodation. I am at Trigon and I do like it. I have lovely flat mates and the staff are very nice. However, the flats are not perfect. We have a decent kitchen/living room but its not as nice as some others for a cheaper price. You also don't get double beds which you really do with you had as everyone else seems too. It can get pretty noisy. I am on the ground floor so our flat hears everyone else running up and down stairs and shouting. So if you don't mind that then you are okay. Also some flats face onto the courtyard which can get really noisy when people are going out. Again, its kind of a luck of the draw when it comes to which flat you get. For those interested in the walk to Collegiat, it's not as bad as you think. Even though I am based at city, three out of 5 of us in the flat go to Collegiat and they just have to leave roughly 15 minutes earlier that I do. The walk is mostly along a main road but its not that bad as you would soon get used to it.

So, the other student accommodation. I personally like Liberty Works. If you don't mind sharing facilities I would recommend. Two people on my course live there and whenever I have been round I wish I considered it. The bedrooms are much bigger than in most purpose built student accommodation and it has a lot more character. There is also a cleaner every two weeks so thats also a plus. I can't speak much of the staff but the common room is also very nice and a great place to pre-drink.
Central Quay is very far away and many people hate the walk to and from uni. However, I have never been there so I just have as much knowledge as you of the place.
Victoria Halls is the most popular of the places and I know some people re-applying there for next year. I have heard that it is one of the best for en-suits as well as its proximity to places. It does seem to be a bit out of the way from other accommodations but this is my personal opinion and the people I talk to most on my course live at the bottom of the ring-road so we are all close.
The Forge is very nice in the sense of facilities but again, its just like other purpose built student accommodation. The main plus for the Forge is that there is an Aldi right outside so you don't have to walk far for food.
The Anvil is very much similar to the Forge. (Most accommodation run by the same company is very similar.) Its nice but its close to the football stadium so it can get noisy but this may be something you would get used to.

Really, whatever you choose will become your home for the next year and you will overlook the small details to really enjoy your course and time as a first year.

You will get yours keys on the day you move in but I suggest leaving your stuff in the car and wait until you get them. I moved in at 10am and it was pretty quiet but when it got to 2pm it was hectic so plan for that. Bring your certificates for your enrollment, they only really need to see English and Maths but its good to have them all. It doesn't take long and the inductions are fairly short for all courses.

City-wise, its really good. The transport links are great. I have never been on the buses here because everything is so close but you can't walk anywhere without seeing one. My friend commutes from Ecclesall Road on cold days and I remember him saying it was £1 for a single (I can't remember if this was with a student card). Food is really good, there is so many different places that you will find. And the nightlife is great. There is also loads of places to shop on the high street so you don't have to commute to Medowhall.

Hope I helped, will try and answer any more questions if I can.
Is everything in walking distance from uni and accommodation such as bars/nightclubs and shops and supermarket?

Is the university social life good or bad and which halls are the best?

What's it like to live in sheffield?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mogzy

Not to the city centre... Victoria halls and opal are much closer to the city centre than trigon, anvil etc
Original post by tarajsimpson
Hi. I am currently a first year student at SHU and just thought I would check the forums to see if I can help any of you out as I know how stressful coming to uni is.

First off accommodation. I am at Trigon and I do like it. I have lovely flat mates and the staff are very nice. However, the flats are not perfect. We have a decent kitchen/living room but its not as nice as some others for a cheaper price. You also don't get double beds which you really do with you had as everyone else seems too. It can get pretty noisy. I am on the ground floor so our flat hears everyone else running up and down stairs and shouting. So if you don't mind that then you are okay. Also some flats face onto the courtyard which can get really noisy when people are going out. Again, its kind of a luck of the draw when it comes to which flat you get. For those interested in the walk to Collegiat, it's not as bad as you think. Even though I am based at city, three out of 5 of us in the flat go to Collegiat and they just have to leave roughly 15 minutes earlier that I do. The walk is mostly along a main road but its not that bad as you would soon get used to it.

So, the other student accommodation. I personally like Liberty Works. If you don't mind sharing facilities I would recommend. Two people on my course live there and whenever I have been round I wish I considered it. The bedrooms are much bigger than in most purpose built student accommodation and it has a lot more character. There is also a cleaner every two weeks so thats also a plus. I can't speak much of the staff but the common room is also very nice and a great place to pre-drink.
Central Quay is very far away and many people hate the walk to and from uni. However, I have never been there so I just have as much knowledge as you of the place.
Victoria Halls is the most popular of the places and I know some people re-applying there for next year. I have heard that it is one of the best for en-suits as well as its proximity to places. It does seem to be a bit out of the way from other accommodations but this is my personal opinion and the people I talk to most on my course live at the bottom of the ring-road so we are all close.
The Forge is very nice in the sense of facilities but again, its just like other purpose built student accommodation. The main plus for the Forge is that there is an Aldi right outside so you don't have to walk far for food.
The Anvil is very much similar to the Forge. (Most accommodation run by the same company is very similar.) Its nice but its close to the football stadium so it can get noisy but this may be something you would get used to.

Really, whatever you choose will become your home for the next year and you will overlook the small details to really enjoy your course and time as a first year.

You will get yours keys on the day you move in but I suggest leaving your stuff in the car and wait until you get them. I moved in at 10am and it was pretty quiet but when it got to 2pm it was hectic so plan for that. Bring your certificates for your enrollment, they only really need to see English and Maths but its good to have them all. It doesn't take long and the inductions are fairly short for all courses.

City-wise, its really good. The transport links are great. I have never been on the buses here because everything is so close but you can't walk anywhere without seeing one. My friend commutes from Ecclesall Road on cold days and I remember him saying it was £1 for a single (I can't remember if this was with a student card). Food is really good, there is so many different places that you will find. And the nightlife is great. There is also loads of places to shop on the high street so you don't have to commute to Medowhall.

Hope I helped, will try and answer any more questions if I can.

Just seen that you've been to central quay, I've put it as my first choice and I just want to know some students opinions on it, what's it's advantages and disadvantages? What do people who have lived there think??
hey there i am a student from india and looking to join shu in September had a few questions that i wanted to ask,this post looks old but will still give it a try 1- should i opt for BEng? OR MEng ?2-future job prospects 3 i am very confused btw shu,dmu,Portsmouth and anglia Ruskin.
Original post by hellodave5
I'm a student at Sheffield Hallam. Ask whatever takes your fancy :smile:

Hey,

What's your favourite thing about studying at SHU? :smile:
Original post by annablagg
Hey,

What's your favourite thing about studying at SHU? :smile:

I guess that the lecturers for the most part were really personable and from different backgrounds, as well as lot of the students being diverse in personality and academic background. The city is nice and chilled out and sort of catered around students - and being from Sheffield I didn't have to fork out for living expenses which I feel helped a bit financially.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending