The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Hi! I'm applying for global governance at oxford as well. Just sent in my application! really nervous! can I ask what are your grades and prior work ex like? I finished my undergrad a year ago and have been volunteering with the NGO's since then. Grades were 85%+ which I guess is a UK equivalent of a 1st. Do they look for individuals with a lot of work ex? Sorry for asking so many questions! Haven't found many people applying for this course on this thread so...:P
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 921
Original post by Ad12345678
Hi everyone :smile: I am applying for the global governance and diplomacy master's at Oxford and was wondering if anyone had heard back?

Hi! I'm applying for global governance at oxford as well. Just sent in my application! really nervous! can I ask what are your grades and prior work ex like? I finished my undergrad a year ago and have been volunteering with the NGO's since then. Grades were 85%+ which I guess is a UK equivalent of a 1st. Do they look for individuals with a lot of work ex? Sorry for asking so many questions! Haven't found many people applying for this course on this thread so...:P
Reply 922
Original post by partickler
Josb, what did you do in the end? I'm trying to contact Grad Admissions to ask what it means if I haven't got a confirmation...

This is so unnecessarily stressful :frown:.

Anything new for you?:confused:
Original post by joy777
Hello Joy777.

I am in my last year of bachelor and have done internships in an intergovernmental organisation and an international/EU law firm, and will be doing a work placement at a UN organisation and the European Economic and Social Committee this summer. I am predicted to get a first from a good British university in PPE; I had one of the best averages in the year in my second year. I am really nervous too! The course is so competitive and it's hard to know exactly what type of candidate they are looking for :smile: But we just have to wait and see I guess! I'm not sure what there requirements are for work experience; I got a feeling they cared a lot more about academics but someone I know who knows people taking the course said that they like to give places to future diplomats with experience in that field? In which country did you go to uni if you don't mind me asking?

I am also a bit worried because I submitted 2 academic and 1 professional reference because they used to require both, but when i last checked the website they asked for 3 academic references. Do you think this can penalise me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by akjhl
Forgot to wish you good luck in my last message!

Good luck and let us know how you get on :colondollar:

Just called the Department of Oncology - she said they have already shortlisted so if we haven't received contact then that unfortunately means no shortlist.. they'll send out formal rejection letters soon.

That's probably the case for IITM too? :frown:

Puts a lot more pressure on the NDM interview! haha resume thesis reading...
Got a confirmation of my application, now the real wait begins. Should hear back from late March onwards.
Original post by somethingabby
Just called the Department of Oncology - she said they have already shortlisted so if we haven't received contact then that unfortunately means no shortlist.. they'll send out formal rejection letters soon.

That's probably the case for IITM too? :frown:

Puts a lot more pressure on the NDM interview! haha resume thesis reading...

Sorry to say but I rang about IITM today and they short listed people last week so if you havent heard back you have been rejected :frown:

But given the cambridge WT in infection and immunity had 300+ applicants I'm assuming a similar number applied there so dont feel too bad about being rejected. Best to just play the numbers game when it comes to applications.

Good luck for the NDM interview anyway!!
Hi,

I have a similar problem, one of my referees submitted the letter via email so it wasn't been shown as received when I submitted the application. How do I check the status of my application? I only got an email confirming that the application had been submitted...

Original post by partickler
I don't want to be too jumpy really - I know they are probably in the middle of a stampede at the moment. But if indeed they have not received my reference I would like to act upon it asap whilst I still can!

I think you'll be fine if you get a confirmation of payment in your email? Where did you see your application form reference submissions? I can only see my reference statuses through the emails they send.
Reply 928
Original post by aplazzarin
Hi,

I have a similar problem, one of my referees submitted the letter via email so it wasn't been shown as received when I submitted the application. How do I check the status of my application? I only got an email confirming that the application had been submitted...

Same, still waiting. :cry2:
Reply 929
Original post by Ad12345678
Hello Joy777.

I am in my last year of bachelor and have done internships in an intergovernmental organisation and an international/EU law firm, and will be doing a work placement at a UN organisation and the European Economic and Social Committee this summer. I am predicted to get a first from a good British university in PPE; I had one of the best averages in the year in my second year. I am really nervous too! The course is so competitive and it's hard to know exactly what type of candidate they are looking for :smile: But we just have to wait and see I guess! I'm not sure what there requirements are for work experience; I got a feeling they cared a lot more about academics but someone I know who knows people taking the course said that they like to give places to future diplomats with experience in that field? In which country did you go to uni if you don't mind me asking?

I am also a bit worried because I submitted 2 academic and 1 professional reference because they used to require both, but when i last checked the website they asked for 3 academic references. Do you think this can penalise me?

Hi!
I gave 2 academic references and one professional one as well. I don't think it should be a problem at all. Gathering from all the people I'v spoken with and also having mailed oxford I take that this will add to the application as the professional reference will throw light on your practical skills in the field. I took references from my professor and vice principle and one from the executive director of a NGO in Somalia that I volunteered with.

I volunteered with organisations from Somalia, Afghanistan and Ghana through the UN ( all developing, failed states). In addition Iv been working for translation of law related material with Trials watch. along side I worked for a year in a public bonds company which gave me insight into foreign and monetary policy and have done an internship at a national news channel. I really don't know if my work ex is relevant and strong enough. What do you think? I agree that they're looking for people with diplomatic experience but I don't have any :frown: I'm more inclined towards governance than diplomacy. Im from India and have done uni here. I ranked top 10 in Mumbai university but I don't know how they view grades and ranks from foreign universities. Fingers crossed!
Hi,

Original post by Josb
Same, still waiting. :cry2:

Hiya, I received an e-mail today telling me my application is complete and either all my three references have been submitted or two of them. If I were you and didn't receive this, I would call the admissions office.
Original post by joy777
Hi!
I gave 2 academic references and one professional one as well. I don't think it should be a problem at all. Gathering from all the people I'v spoken with and also having mailed oxford I take that this will add to the application as the professional reference will throw light on your practical skills in the field. I took references from my professor and vice principle and one from the executive director of a NGO in Somalia that I volunteered with.

I volunteered with organisations from Somalia, Afghanistan and Ghana through the UN ( all developing, failed states). In addition Iv been working for translation of law related material with Trials watch. along side I worked for a year in a public bonds company which gave me insight into foreign and monetary policy and have done an internship at a national news channel. I really don't know if my work ex is relevant and strong enough. What do you think? I agree that they're looking for people with diplomatic experience but I don't have any :frown: I'm more inclined towards governance than diplomacy. Im from India and have done uni here. I ranked top 10 in Mumbai university but I don't know how they view grades and ranks from foreign universities. Fingers crossed!

Okey great! You've just reassured me about the references :smile: I think that you have more than enough work experience!! So you are definitely set on that front. And I am the same as you- I'm more interested in pursuing a career in global governance. I don't think it will be an issue; it's just that the majority of people that apply are interested in diplomacy so naturally there will be more spaces given for future diplomats :smile:.
thank you, when did you submit your application?
Original post by Ivanka
Hiya, I received an e-mail today telling me my application is complete and either all my three references have been submitted or two of them. If I were you and didn't receive this, I would call the admissions office.
thank you, when did you submit your application?

At the beginning of the year.
Hi Ivanka!

I see you applied for general linguistics and comp. phil. too! I applied for the MPhil.
Reply 935
Original post by Ivanka

Hi,

On the other hand, it's written this on the website:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/after-you-apply

[h="2"]Important notice for applicants who have applied for the January deadlines[/h] If you have submitted an enquiry to Graduate Admissions and Funding in the week leading up to the 23 January deadline and you have not received an answer, please do not submit your enquiry again. We are dealing with a high volume of enquiries and will respond to yours as soon as we can.
Please also note that during the two weeks following the January deadlines (Fridays, 9 and 23 January 2015), we will be unable to let you know if we have received your references or materials sent by post and email, due to the high volume of applications and materials we receive. Once we have processed all the applications and materials, we will let you know the status of your application.

Reply 936
Original post by Josb
On the other hand, it's written this on the website:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/after-you-apply

Spoke to graduate admissions last week. They had problems with the system and are having to manually attach references to applications (even if you referee uploaded directly). Additionally, massive backlog from the January 9 deadlines means delay in processing. If you applied for the 23 Jan deadline, you can expect a confirmation email by next Friday latest. :smile:
Reply 937
Original post by kiddo42
Spoke to graduate admissions last week. They had problems with the system and are having to manually attach references to applications (even if you referee uploaded directly). Additionally, massive backlog from the January 9 deadlines means delay in processing. If you applied for the 23 Jan deadline, you can expect a confirmation email by next Friday latest. :smile:

Thanks!
ok, I've only submitted it on January 23 so it might take longer for me. Best of luck!

Original post by Ivanka
At the beginning of the year.
thank you!

Original post by kiddo42

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending