The Student Room Group

‘If you’ve had free school meals since age of 11’ meaning?

Hi, I’m currently in yr12 and I’ve realised that I might fit in the contextual offer category for when I’m applying for university.
I’ve been on free school meals since yr10 all the way through to year 12 and I’m guessing yr13 too.
I really want to apply to Oxford and they said ‘you’ll be flagged as disadvantaged if Eligibility for Free School Meals (FSM) since age 11‘.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data#:~:text=Free%20School%20Meals%20(FSM)%20eligibility&text=group%20of%20applicants.-,This%20means%20that%20you%20will%20be%20strongly%20recommended%20to%20be,in%20any%20required%20admissions%20test.

However, I just want to confirm, what does since age 11 mean? Does that mean having FSM starting from age 11 to age 16/17?
Or does it mean that if you’ve had FSM from age 11 between age 16/17??
Reply 1
In the context of the eligibility for free school meals (FSM) as mentioned by Oxford University, "since age 11" typically refers to having been eligible for FSM from the age of 11 and continuing throughout your secondary education. It means that you have been receiving free school meals starting from age 11 and continuing until at least age 16/17.

To clarify the specific requirements and guidelines for the contextual offer category at Oxford University, it's best to consult their official admissions documentation or contact their admissions office directly. They will be able to provide you with accurate information regarding your eligibility and any supporting documentation you may need to provide.

Remember that universities may have their own specific criteria and interpretations, so it's essential to refer to the official sources for the most accurate information regarding your application.

Good luck with your application to Oxford University! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by CompSciJP
In the context of the eligibility for free school meals (FSM) as mentioned by Oxford University, "since age 11" typically refers to having been eligible for FSM from the age of 11 and continuing throughout your secondary education. It means that you have been receiving free school meals starting from age 11 and continuing until at least age 16/17.

To clarify the specific requirements and guidelines for the contextual offer category at Oxford University, it's best to consult their official admissions documentation or contact their admissions office directly. They will be able to provide you with accurate information regarding your eligibility and any supporting documentation you may need to provide.

Remember that universities may have their own specific criteria and interpretations, so it's essential to refer to the official sources for the most accurate information regarding your application.

Good luck with your application to Oxford University! :biggrin:

thanks for the reply!
I’ve had free school meals from yr10 to yr12
However, if you read more on the Oxford website, it does just say that:
If you are flagged as FSM eligible, you will automatically be identified as being within the most disadvantaged group of applicants. This means that you will be strongly recommended to be shortlisted for interview, provided that evidence suggests you are likely to achieve the conditional offer for your course, and that you perform to a suitable standard in any required admissions test.
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for the reply!
I’ve had free school meals from yr10 to yr12
However, if you read more on the Oxford website, it does just say that:
If you are flagged as FSM eligible, you will automatically be identified as being within the most disadvantaged group of applicants. This means that you will be strongly recommended to be shortlisted for interview, provided that evidence suggests you are likely to achieve the conditional offer for your course, and that you perform to a suitable standard in any required admissions test.

It's probably simplest just to contact Oxford directly and ask if your case would qualify for a contextual consideration.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
It's probably simplest just to contact Oxford directly and ask if your case would qualify for a contextual consideration.

Will do! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending