The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowbro93
Isn't yours 6 places with 240 apps? :eek:

For the job I got offered at TFL, it was 8 positions with just over 2000 apps :eek:

220 this year. Still pretty bad though :|

I wonder how many applicants there are for the master's... Probably like 200 as well, to about around 20+ places.

Not looking forward to Friday.

Also, Punctuation, I'm thinking about Molecular Neuroscience MSc at Bristol. Can you recommend the Uni?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Josb
I understand why there are so many applicants now. :tongue:

Yeah :tongue:

Original post by EuropeanSon20
220 this year. Still pretty bad though :|

I wonder how many applicants there are for the master's... Probably like 200 as well, to about around 20+ places.

Not looking forward to Friday.

Also, Punctuation, I'm thinking about Molecular Neuroscience MSc at Bristol. Can you recommend the Uni?

Yeah the master's is pretty tough too, but I guess the distribution is shifted i.e. more people will be straight from undergrad. You there Friday for interview? I am too! Maybe I'll see you around :biggrin:

I would definitely recommend Bristol. It's a great city and the uni does great research. I think you'd be happy there. Have you also considered the systems neuro MRes?
Nonono, that's when the shortlist is getting drawn :frown:

I had not seen the MRes yet :O I'll be considering that now. Thanks for your help. :smile:
Original post by blue1211823
Nope not yet! and at £50 an application I just did the one!
I was hoping to be told I would hear back late january of early february, not march..

Oh no :frown: I applied for it too and hadn't heard back, they do interviews on the 29th and 30th so I called up and they said they've already short listed for interviews and contacted the applicants so if you haven't heard back you haven't been short listed :frown: they'll send out formal rejection letters soon. Sorry for the bad news!! :frown:
Reply 964
It seems we have the first rejection of the thread. :frown:

The bloodbath has already begun. :cry2:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EuropeanSon20
Nonono, that's when the shortlist is getting drawn :frown:

I had not seen the MRes yet :O I'll be considering that now. Thanks for your help. :smile:

Ooohhh I see. That makes more sense. Best of luck!

Awesome, let me know if you have any more questions about it :smile:

EDIT: Oof. Never mind it's been discontinued :frown: Sorry! http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/2015/fmvs/mres-systems-neuroscience/

Original post by Josb
It seems we have the first rejection of the thread. :frown:

The bloodbath has already begun. :cry2:

Oh no :console: do you have any other applications to Oxford though?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by somethingabby
Oh no :frown: I applied for it too and hadn't heard back, they do interviews on the 29th and 30th so I called up and they said they've already short listed for interviews and contacted the applicants so if you haven't heard back you haven't been short listed :frown: they'll send out formal rejection letters soon. Sorry for the bad news!! :frown:

Thats fine I’m glad you said that to be honest :smile: I expected as much but didn’t want to wait until March with a slight doubt, incase I am offered a place at Imperial, *fingers crossed*
Finalising prep for the NDM interview.. :eek: does anyone on the thread have experience with DPhil/Studentship interviews at oxford? It's been a year since i completed my research and I'm so nervous they're going ot ask me some absurdly detailed or technical question that I will have a total mind blank on.. Otherwise I'm confident on analysis and interpretation of my work and have read up on the work of my nominated supervisor.. agh! so nerve wracking..
Finalising prep for the NDM interview.. :eek: does anyone on the thread have experience with DPhil/Studentship interviews at oxford? It's been a year since i completed my research and I'm so nervous they're going ot ask me some absurdly detailed or technical question that I will have a total mind blank on.. Otherwise I'm confident on analysis and interpretation of my work and have read up on the work of my nominated supervisor.. agh! so nerve wracking..

Good luck! I think it depends on the course and even so experiences vary. They'll likely ask you about your research, they might ask you about you (e.g. why Oxford), they'll possibly ask about your proposed research... Also if you know your interviewers' names try to look them up too!
Reply 969

Hey, I had an interview in January for the Systems approaches to Biomedical Sciences DTC (and got an offer). Is yours a DTC, or just a normal DPhil?
Reply 970
Haha, just realised it's still January. :frown: Guess I'm just wishing away the months now!
Reply 971
Original post by punctuation

Oh no :console: do you have any other applications to Oxford though?

I was speaking about blue above. I think I will know in March.
Original post by Josb
I was speaking about blue above. I think I will know in March.

Ohh I see. Good luck then! Sorry blue :/
Phewf! That was one of the most full on experiences I've ever had! There were about 20 of them all swiveling the camera towards them so they could ask a question! Totally blown away by their questions, really insightful and it seemed like they were genuinely engaged with my research/results! Definitely a few curveball questions in there but hopefully I didn't waffle too much and was semi-coherent.. Done and dusted! Added bonus is that they said they like to get it sorted quickly so will have a response by the end of next week.. SO good not having to wait til late March.. Thanks for your help everyone :smile:
Reply 974
Phewf! That was one of the most full on experiences I've ever had! There were about 20 of them all swiveling the camera towards them so they could ask a question! Totally blown away by their questions, really insightful and it seemed like they were genuinely engaged with my research/results! Definitely a few curveball questions in there but hopefully I didn't waffle too much and was semi-coherent.. Done and dusted! Added bonus is that they said they like to get it sorted quickly so will have a response by the end of next week.. SO good not having to wait til late March.. Thanks for your help everyone :smile:

Twenty interviewers? :eek: I'm glad we don't have interviews in the arts (except for KCL apparently).
Good luck!
Original post by Josb
Twenty interviewers? :eek: I'm glad we don't have interviews in the arts (except for KCL apparently).
Good luck!

I don't know what course your applying to, but I know for mine (Medieval lit) that when they invite you for an interview at KCL its nots a proper interview. More like an informal cha to get to know you. You pretty much have an offer already.
Reply 976
Original post by LadyMede
I don't know what course your applying to, but I know for mine (Medieval lit) that when they invite you for an interview at KCL its nots a proper interview. More like an informal cha to get to know you. You pretty much have an offer already.

Thanks.
It's written in the application procedure: "All applicants for graduate research will be interviewed and they may be requested to supply some written work on an appropriate subject with their formal application."
Has anybody heard anything from the MSc Neuroscience? I think the DPhil has been sent out, just wondered regarding the MSc.
Good luck on your interview today, punctuation. :smile:
Original post by WelshMedic007
Has anybody heard anything from the MSc Neuroscience? I think the DPhil has been sent out, just wondered regarding the MSc.

I'm applying for the MSc in Radiation Biology. Nothing from the department. Probably being rejected as the interview is next week. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending