The Student Room Group

A2 Maths vs. Psychology?

Hi guys, so I've just started my A2 year studying biology and chemistry as well as either maths or psychology but I can't decide what subject to 'drop'. I wondered if anyone who has done either at A2 can advise me how different they are from AS and if they enjoyed it etc?
I'm definitely not doing all 4 subjects- don't want to add to my workload when I'm doing EPQ too. I want to study medicine, too (with an interest in psychiatry post-grad, hence my interest in psychology). Any advice would be much appreciated please! I just can't make up my mind haha!
Reply 1
Original post by Bethf123
Hi guys, so I've just started my A2 year studying biology and chemistry as well as either maths or psychology but I can't decide what subject to 'drop'. I wondered if anyone who has done either at A2 can advise me how different they are from AS and if they enjoyed it etc?
I'm definitely not doing all 4 subjects- don't want to add to my workload when I'm doing EPQ too. I want to study medicine, too (with an interest in psychiatry post-grad, hence my interest in psychology). Any advice would be much appreciated please! I just can't make up my mind haha!

What's your backup for medicine? If you don't get in, are you going to reapply and ignore whatever your fifth choice is (if you have one)? If it's a science course then taking maths may help you out more in the long run, if that situation arises.

For the sake of medicine, I don't think it will make much difference either way, so just go with what you fancy.

A2 maths is similar to AS in principle - same way of learning etc. and it just builds a bit more on some of the AS content (more differentiation, more integration). More complex material, but perfectly doable if you were alright at AS.
Reply 2
Did both A2 and in quick summary

Maths - Easy, light revision which doesnt take a lot of your time. However the exam can be very unpredictable and even if you do well in past papers, the real exam paper can easily slip you up. Grade boundaries are usually quite consistent with AS in comparison to Psychology where the boundaries are fairly low.

Psychology - Quite tedious revision in that you basically just learn essays largely, however generally its not very difficult at all. Fortunately the exam is a lot more predictable, such as Unit 3 Aqa - Theres like 18 possible questions and thats it - No bs whatsoever.

I ended with an A* in psycho and kind of scraping an A in maths. During the year i definitely spent more time on maths so i was fully comfortable of the techniques and shizzles, however during exam season Psycho definitely took more time. If you have a slightly crappy Psycho teacher though, it can make A2 slightly tricky whereas for maths you can get away with it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

I shall preface this comment with the fact that I didn't take psychology but I know people who did and will be taking their comments into account. I did however study A2 maths.

If I were you I would go with maths as it essentially just adds more of the same to what you are already doing (integration/differentiation). Yes it is harder but neither my friends nor I found it hard to adapt from the AS topics to the A2 topics. However with Psychology, from what I gather from 3rd parties, you learn a hell of a lot of case studies and though the content can be interesting there's a lot to memorize.

Ultimately at the end of the day the question you should be asking is, which will I enjoy more because more often than not you'll find that's the subject you do better in. :smile:
Reply 4
A2 Psychology is easier, if that helps...

If you are interested in Psychology then i think you will be more likely to succeed in it :smile: also as other people have said, maths exams can vary quite substantially year to year and with close boundaries it is tight. Gl with ur choice
Reply 6
Thanks guys, I've made the decision to drop psychology in the end. Although I enjoy learning most of it, I definitely don't enjoy revising such a broad specification then being asked only part of it haha! Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Nymthae
What's your backup for medicine? If you don't get in, are you going to reapply and ignore whatever your fifth choice is (if you have one)? If it's a science course then taking maths may help you out more in the long run, if that situation arises.

For the sake of medicine, I don't think it will make much difference either way, so just go with what you fancy.

A2 maths is similar to AS in principle - same way of learning etc. and it just builds a bit more on some of the AS content (more differentiation, more integration). More complex material, but perfectly doable if you were alright at AS.

Not sure if it's foolish but I have no back up! I just plan to take a gap year and reapply (ignoring my 5th choice) if I don't get a place this year and pending I get the grades I hope for at A2! Fingers crossed! Thanks for your advice, I think I let people get to me when they complained how difficult A2 maths was but I really enjoyed AS so hopefully I'll be fine!
Reply 8
Not sure if it's foolish but I have no back up! I just plan to take a gap year and reapply (ignoring my 5th choice) if I don't get a place this year and pending I get the grades I hope for at A2! Fingers crossed! Thanks for your advice, I think I let people get to me when they complained how difficult A2 maths was but I really enjoyed AS so hopefully I'll be fine!

That's fine, as long as you're happy with it. It's not necessarily foolish :smile: I enjoyed A2 maths more than AS actually so i'm sure you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest