The Student Room Group

Is £14,500 a solid amount to have saved in order to purchase a house?

As I was given assurance from my parents that I could save substantial money whilst living with them I am starting to plan before I finally move out.

I want to move to Manchester or Greater Manchester and purchase a 3 bedroom property for about £90,000 - £100,000 and put down an £11,500 deposit and the rest going to all Solicitor fees etc etc.

I want a 15 year Mortgage at £700 a month.

Would that be enough?

Scroll to see replies

first off

1. post in the correct topic (money & finance)
2. it depends, what type of income will you have?
3. google "mortgage calculator" to see how much you can afford
4. Best mortgage rates are available with a 20 to 40% deposit. So for 100k best to have 20/40k
5. You can look into the help to buy scheme which would suit you.

How old are you?
Reply 2
Well it all depends on the mortgage rate you're offered, which in turn depends on your credit file. So you need to get a quote. I would recommend Halifax, it's very simply and convenient, can get a mortgage promise at home over the internet, in a few minutes :smile: so get a quote, it'll help you forecast your finances. Ringing up an approved broker is a good idea too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by xjay1234
As I was given assurance from my parents that I could save substantial money whilst living with them I am starting to plan before I finally move out.

I want to move to Manchester or Greater Manchester and purchase a 3 bedroom property for about £90,000 - £100,000 and put down an £11,500 deposit and the rest going to all Solicitor fees etc etc.

I want a 15 year Mortgage at £700 a month.

Would that be enough?

Yes.
Reply 4
Original post by Bill_Gates
first off

1. post in the correct topic (money & finance)
2. it depends, what type of income will you have?
3. google "mortgage calculator" to see how much you can afford
4. Best mortgage rates are available with a 20 to 40% deposit. So for 100k best to have 20/40k
5. You can look into the help to buy scheme which would suit you.

How old are you?

I am 24 years old.

I tried to find the right section lol no I don't want help to buy or shared ownership.

I just want to own outright.

But I did the calculator thing. Would be about £750 a month for 13 years............for a £96,000 home.
Reply 5
I am 24 years old.

I tried to find the right section lol no I don't want help to buy or shared ownership.

I just want to own outright.

But I did the calculator thing. Would be about £750 a month for 13 years............for a £96,000 home.

Depends on your job( if permanent or temporary or casual) , and earnings. Don't forget solicitor fees, surveyor fees etc...
It's enough for Greater Manchester, yes. But, bear in mind you'd get a better deal on your mortgage if you managed to save say 20k or more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As others have said before me, it all depends on your situation. I have just put down about £250,000 on my house that I had been saving for the last couple of years, and I'm still going to have taxes, utilities and maintenance to worry about. But on the upside, waiting a few years before buying my house meant I was able to get it without a mortgage, so I don't have to worry about keeping up payments with the bank in case things take a turn for the worst.
Reply 8
Original post by a729
Depends on your job( if permanent or temporary or casual) , and earnings. Don't forget solicitor fees, surveyor fees etc...

Yes that £14,000 includes Lawyer Fees.

£11,500 would go towards deposit.

The rest on all the fun costs.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2271992/First-time-buyers-fees-checklist--costs-need-think-buying-property.html
Reply 9
Original post by will2348
It's enough for Greater Manchester, yes. But, bear in mind you'd get a better deal on your mortgage if you managed to save say 20k or more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well 14 years of paying a Mortgage is not bad!

But yes Greater Manchester/ Manchester is where I have my heart set on.
Reply 10
Original post by XMaramena
As others have said before me, it all depends on your situation. I have just put down about £250,000 on my house that I had been saving for the last couple of years, and I'm still going to have taxes, utilities and maintenance to worry about. But on the upside, waiting a few years before buying my house meant I was able to get it without a mortgage, so I don't have to worry about keeping up payments with the bank in case things take a turn for the worst.

250k? What as a deposit?

You live in a mansion? ^_^ lol

You mean you bought a £250,000 house with cash? How in the world did you manage to save up that much money?
Reply 12
250k? What as a deposit?

Not necessarily if it was a property in London lol!
Reply 13
Yes that £14,000 includes Lawyer Fees.

£11,500 would go towards deposit.

The rest on all the fun costs.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2271992/First-time-buyers-fees-checklist--costs-need-think-buying-property.html

At least it's not a London property or that would be spent on stamp duty!
250k? What as a deposit?

Original post by purple_panther
You mean you bought a £250,000 house with cash? How in the world did you manage to save up that much money?

Living with my parents and making a decent wage meant I had some solid income, and half of that was tax free since I lived in Dubai for the first year I did it professionally. Then recently I've had some good successes with my books.

And no it's not a deposit, the property was $400,000 in full. I laid down a $20,000 deposit a little while back, then as soon as all my visas got sorted I put the rest in.

It's not a mansion, but I did get quite a good deal on it as it was a foreclosure. I suppose it probably should have been just over double that otherwise. At least I'm not going to have to worry about defaulting!
(edited 9 years ago)
Am I missing something? Why don't you just go and buy the house?

Are you too poor or something? I thought only poor people got them mortgage things? Isn't that like where the bank gives you money and you pay them back over a long period of time because you can't afford it?

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple.
Reply 16
Original post by a729
Not necessarily if it was a property in London lol!

That is why living in London is a scam.

Unless you are a footballer, banker or Lawyer.

FORGET IT!

And I like Manchester.

I will be much closer to Manchester United <3

I can visit London on holidays.
Reply 17
GOOD ON YOU!

A lot of people are not forward thinking with their money like that, and just blow it on foolishness!

Living with my parents and making a decent wage meant I had some solid income, and half of that was tax free since I lived in Dubai for the first year I did it professionally. Then recently I've had some good successes with my books.

And no it's not a deposit, the property was $400,000 in full. I laid down a $20,000 deposit a little while back, then as soon as all my visas got sorted I put the rest in.

It's not a mansion, but I did get quite a good deal on it as it was a foreclosure. I suppose it probably should have been just over double that otherwise. At least I'm not going to have to worry about defaulting!
Reply 18
If you haven't yet seen a mortgage adviser, it's worth noting that the rules on mortgages changed recently, and they are obligated to ask you rather more in terms of budgeting, so getting a mortgage may depend significantly upon your income (ie you may need a larger deposit, depending on your circumstances).
Reply 19
Original post by Pretentious Pete
Am I missing something? Why don't you just go and buy the house?

Are you too poor or something? I thought only poor people got them mortgage things? Isn't that like where the bank gives you money and you pay them back over a long period of time because you can't afford it?

If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple.

Yes, because not everybody is on a Radamel Falcao salary of £340,000 a week to just purchase a property outright for £95,000+.

I am afraid you are incorrect with your view, yes you are right when you can't afford something don't buy it.

But we all have to pay rent, and I think I speak on behalf of the majority of people when I say they would much rather pay a MORTGAGE each month then pay RENT each month (which is dead money) because at least with a Mortgage you will get your money back and MORE if you sell.

Depending also on the length of your Mortgage, if it is 15 years, you know once that 15 years is up you are free, and then you will have serious residual income.

I couldn't afford my £3,200 a year University Tuition fees, did that mean I didn't end up going to University? No I took like many people in Britain did Student Finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending