The Student Room Group

Any hope for young buyers?

Do you think home ownership will ever get more affordable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Thom10023356546

Houses are affordable.... If you are prepared not to live round the corner from your parents and have a professional paying job with a partner who also has a professional job.

The opportunity for singletons to buy ended years ago.
(edited 8 months ago)

No.unless you move somewhere so far out.
Realistically, no.
Yes, in some UK cities.
Particularly for very basic studios & very modest new build 1-2 bedroom properties with minuscule bedrooms and no living room, loft, garden, garage or nearby parking.

There is also the potential for the use of government intervention to gradually cool down much of England's housing market over 3-15 years by changing the law.
To prevent all overseas citizens and foreign registered/controlled companies from ever purchasing any UK property or land.
Directly, through registered charitable entities or via intermediaries including their lawyers/tax advisors/management teams.

Possibly also preventing non-resident UK citizens who are not diplomats, students, intelligence officers or members of the military from purchasing property in the UK until they have been resident in the country where they intend to make the residential property purchase for at least 18 months.
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Houses are affordable.... If you are prepared not to live round the corner from your parents and have a professional paying job with a partner who also has a professional job.

No, my son bought a house two years ago.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
No, my son bought a house two years ago.

Of course. There are the odd spots around the country where no one particularly wants to live where you can buy houses for a song or equally there are pretty well of singletons whose criteria fit the market where they are looking to buy. But they are in the minority. Most singletons can't afford to buy or rent a place of their own sadly.

There was a really sad article in the Manchester Evening News last year or so stating that there was no where in the whole of Manchester including the really awful areas like Harpurhey and bad lands of Oldham where you could rent a 2 bed flat / house for less than £650 a month!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hotpud
Of course. There are the odd spots around the country where no one particularly wants to live where you can buy houses for a song or equally there are pretty well of singletons whose criteria fit the market where they are looking to buy. But they are in the minority. Most singletons can't afford to buy or rent a place of their own sadly.

There was a really sad article in the Manchester Evening News last year or so stating that there was no where in the whole of Manchester including the really awful areas like Harpurhey and bad lands of Oldham where you could rent a 2 bed flat / house for less than £650 a month!

It's in the south east in a decent area .. he saved and lived at home for three years after uni
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
It's in the south east in a decent area .. he saved and lived at home for three years after uni

Good for him / you. Not every young person has that luxury either.
Lots of young people need to accept they simply can't afford to buy in London. You'd think that was obvious but we keep coming back to it.

Not if house prices and interest rates continue to rise, it'll just make it more difficult for everyone unless there are two of you on £50k each with no kids, no debt and a £20-30k deposit saved up.
Original post by hotpud

I brought a house all by myself 4 years ago.
I think some (not all) young people have high expectations.
A few people i work with wanted new builds (which seem to be expensive near me anyway), or big houses which were pretty pricey. Whereas i brought something more modest (a 2 bed terraced). But some people seem to turn their noses up at them for some reason.
Reply 13
Original post by Emma:-)
I brought a house all by myself 4 years ago.

Well done. I know it can be done.
Original post by hotpud
Well done. I know it can be done.

Then why did you put "The opportunity for singletons to buy ended years ago."
Reply 15
Then why did you put "The opportunity for singletons to buy ended years ago."

Because I think for many in many parts of the country it has. When 1 bed flats are going for £300k+ you do wonder just who affords to buy them. And if you are renting and half or more of your salary is going on rent, what opportunity is there to save?

I agree it is possible to buy now. But it is massively harder now than it was 20 years ago for example.
Original post by StriderHort
Lots of young people need to accept they simply can't afford to buy in London. You'd think that was obvious but we keep coming back to it.

But the problem now extends far beyond London & the UKs other major cities and this is adversely affecting so many childfree average earning uk citizens aged 45+.
So many regions of England and Northern Ireland now lack of relatively affordable residential properties available for the average earner.
Bangor (County Down), Belfast, Berkshire, Brighton, Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Dorset, Essex, Hastings, Kent, Leicestershire, Winchester.

Since covid and Truss, there are also much fewer opportunities for ordinary British first time buyers & most other non-property professional people who are not cash buyers and are looking to buy a property to live in that needs them to be funding the purchase via finance deals covering up to 70%- 100% of the purchase price.
I think some (not all) young people have high expectations.
A few people i work with wanted new builds (which seem to be expensive near me anyway), or big houses which were pretty pricey. Whereas i brought something more modest (a 2 bed terraced). But some people seem to turn their noses up at them for some reason.

PRSOM.

A lot of people under the age of 35 and located in England have been taught that new builds are always better value for money in terms of energy efficiency or less expensive to purchase.
More warm, higher energy efficiency ratings and will usually come with some freebies.
Such as free kitchen equipment or furniture, the option of stamp duty paid or a deal that covers all the legal costs if using a legal firm the new build developer suggests.
Original post by londonmyst
But the problem now extends far beyond London & the UKs other major cities and this is adversely affecting so many childfree average earning uk citizens aged 45+.
So many regions of England and Northern Ireland now lack of relatively affordable residential properties available for the average earner.
Bangor (County Down), Belfast, Berkshire, Brighton, Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Dorset, Essex, Hastings, Kent, Leicestershire, Winchester.

Since covid and Truss, there are also much fewer opportunities for ordinary British first time buyers & most other non-property professional people who are not cash buyers and are looking to buy a property to live in that needs them to be funding the purchase via finance deals covering up to 70%- 100% of the purchase price.

Deffo truth to this, but a lot of these are new/increasing factors, but a basic student entitlement to live in London no matter what seems a long running issue.. just that now as you say that area of expense is blossoming towards areas where students maybe should have felt a chance in hell of affording.

As much as I'm often smug about Glasgow prices it's here too, the rent on my old place hiked about 40% in 2 years and I suspect that nasty semi slum place i was in 20 odd years ago is also now out of my monthly range. SO glad I bought my wee place when I did, but that's little help to others.
Reply 19

Agreed. But in Manchester that is a tall order. Take a rather grim area like say Rusholme where my mate bought a 2 bed terrace house for £80k 10 years ago - they are worth over £200k now. Even in the grimmest parts of Oldham 2 bed terraces go for more than £150k! Can a young person realistically afford a 5-6% mortgage of £135k to pay for something like that?
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending