The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

University of West England Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by N.Choi
Wow, thats pretty cool that you can start treating the public at the uni's clinic! I'll definitely have a long think about my choices, thank you for answering my questions! :smile:

No worries, are you going to an open day here?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by TheNacho63
No worries, are you going to an open day here?

probably not, but I have ordered a prospectus though to get some more detail about the university itself. Also, one more question, do you have the chance to study abroad at UWE for STaR?
Original post by N.Choi
probably not, but I have ordered a prospectus though to get some more detail about the university itself. Also, one more question, do you have the chance to study abroad at UWE for STaR?

Not so sure about studying abroad, I know of students being able to work abroad in places like the US during summer however I don't know UWE's involvement in this. If you ever get an random questions about STaR, don't hesitate to ask.
Original post by TheNacho63
Not so sure about studying abroad, I know of students being able to work abroad in places like the US during summer however I don't know UWE's involvement in this. If you ever get an random questions about STaR, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't know about any other healthcare courses, but I'm fairly sure nurses can get placements abroad so I don't see why you wouldn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Justanotherday
Hey, I am applying for Law. I am currently studying English Language, Law and Business Studies. I have chosen University of West England because I have heard that it is a great place. Although I hope that because I will be 20 when I start that I will be able to make friends and that I won't be the only 20 year old in my class. I haven't been for an open day yet.

I'm also going to be 20 when I start:smile:.

I'm applying for Social work and am currently studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Health Studies). I'm Originally from Bristol and think its well over due that I move back home! also the course is exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully I get an offer, I should probably finish my personal statement first...
Reply 45
Original post by Dannaaay
I don't know about any other healthcare courses, but I'm fairly sure nurses can get placements abroad so I don't see why you wouldn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I'm not too sure about UWE but I know most universities offer health care students an elective placement where you go out and organise it yourself. When my sister did it as a radiographer she went out to Holland (we have family out there) and others went to places such as Canada and the USA, so even if there isn't an abroad scheme, if there is an elective placement you can totally do that!
Original post by laidljod

I'm applying for Social work and am currently studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Health Studies). I'm Originally from Bristol and think its well over due that I move back home! also the course is exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully I get an offer, I should probably finish my personal statement first...

Hi! I'm going to be almost 20 when I start, so you won't be alone, I promise you :smile: How's your application coming along? Personal Statements are difficult, if it helps at all UCAS have put some application writing tips up on their facebook page, they may help you start :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
Hey! I'm not too sure about UWE but I know most universities offer health care students an elective placement where you go out and organise it yourself. When my sister did it as a radiographer she went out to Holland (we have family out there) and others went to places such as Canada and the USA, so even if there isn't an abroad scheme, if there is an elective placement you can totally do that!

Ahh that sounds amazing! I went to see Worcester and they said they send nurses out to America, Africa, Canada and Australia etc which sounds incredible :smile: I'm not applying to Worcester though, but hopefully I'd be able to arrange something like that at whichever uni will take me! :P you said you're going to be almost 20 - gap year or deferred entry (if you don't mind me asking)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Ahh that sounds amazing! I went to see Worcester and they said they send nurses out to America, Africa, Canada and Australia etc which sounds incredible :smile: I'm not applying to Worcester though, but hopefully I'd be able to arrange something like that at whichever uni will take me! :P you said you're going to be almost 20 - gap year or deferred entry (if you don't mind me asking)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey yeah, I mean on top of that, if you don't get a chance to go abroad at some point in your studies, I know that health care qualifications are particularly of interest in places such as America and New Zeland, so there's always the chance to get a job abroad after you have qualified! I'm on my gap year and unfortunately I do not have a place ( :frown: ) Haha. I took a gap year to fund my studies and also because last year I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do, there's no rush, so its all fine :smile:
The application is going fine, I've finally decided my 5 choices. It's just my personal statement, I've re-written sentences over and over again. I'll figure It out though:smile:. I'm also worried about interviews! However I am dedicated to studying Social Work, so I'm going to try my best to make it happen!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys :smile:
How's the applications coming along? :smile: I'm applying to study Occupational Therapy at the University of West England. I am currently on my gap year after completing my A Levels in Psychology, Biology and Health and Social Care. I'm choosing UWE for a wide number of reasons actually, when I went on a summer school programme this summer, the university seemed to be everything I was looking for in a university with its beautiful health campus and such a welcoming atmosphere, also, the staff there were so nice and friendly. Additionally, Bristol is a beautiful city and for me its far enough away from home that I can discover a new city and be more independent however, its not so far away that if there's a problem of some sort I can go home to talk it out with my parents. Plus there's the advantage of having only one train from home to there (around 1hr and a half) but all the same no change overs! Which I find are very confusing :P As previously stated, I have not been to an open day at UWE but this summer I spent a whole week on their university summer school which I adored!

Im planning on applying for OT at UWE as well :smile: I'm in year 13 doing Sociology, psychology, Eng lit AS and an EPQ (which my question is research into OT)
I'm applying to UWE, well, seeing as it's one of the places I'm eligible for seeing as I'm doing 2 A2s and 2AS's which not all universities accept. However I have exceptional circumstances so if my qualifications aren't preferable to the places I'm applying I can prey for a little leeway. Bristol's pretty far out for me as I live North Notts/South Yorks however my mum is originally from there and her sister and my cousin also live down there, so even though it's a long trip home I can always call on my auntie if I need anything. UWE's points system for admissions is very different to the rest of them though, they even include general studies which I'm pretty sure nowhere else does. Havent been to an open day yet but I've heard UWE is excellent for OT, and I've been to Bristol loads so I know I like the city. I'll possibly go to the one in Nov if i have time.

Where else are you applying to?:smile:
Hey yeah, I mean on top of that, if you don't get a chance to go abroad at some point in your studies, I know that health care qualifications are particularly of interest in places such as America and New Zeland, so there's always the chance to get a job abroad after you have qualified! I'm on my gap year and unfortunately I do not have a place ( :frown: ) Haha. I took a gap year to fund my studies and also because last year I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do, there's no rush, so its all fine :smile:

I think gap years are a good idea! Gives you a chance to work out what you really want in life before you go headfirst into it - a lot of my friends are in that situation at the moment. I feel pretty lucky that I've always known what I wanted to do :smile: but good on you for funding your own studies! :smile: so many people don't realise how much uni costs, so good on you :smile: (I'm a very lucky girl though because nurses don't pay uni fees - my parents love it!) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laidljod

I'm going to be 23 when the course starts I have applied to social work here and am really hoping I get offers soon, though I know some unis for social work don't look at them until the January deadline I am going to the open day Saturday so am going to ask then.
Hey guys :smile:
Thought I'd make a thread to find anyone who is applying for the University of West England for September 2015 entry. So, to get it started, thought it would be best to leave a list of questions:

What course are you applying for?
What course are you currently doing? i.e. A Levels, BTEC?
Why the University of West England?
Have you been for an open day or a visit?

Thought we could use this thread to keep up to date on applications and just general news about the University of West England! :smile:

I am applying to Foundation Degree for Health Professions and Physiotherapy (I still hope I'll get in physio with my grades lol :P)
Currently I do Btec Sport at college, second year
UWE is my top choice because of the Foundation Degree I found not so long time ago and I think I'd have better chances to get into Physiotherapy if I do that first
No I have not been to open day and I think I won't, so if somebody does I would be glad if you said anything about how is it :smile:
Hi,

I have acknowledgement from UWE. They told me to log on to their website( like a welcome info thing). By any chance do we have to upload our certificates on the document page. I thought they know that already in the UCAS website.
Hey I've applied to do Philosophy
I'm doing A levels in Chemistry, English Literature, Religious Studies and Politics
I love Bristol but I've not been to an open day yet! I just hope I get an offer!
Original post by beckysoya
Hi,

I have acknowledgement from UWE. They told me to log on to their website( like a welcome info thing). By any chance do we have to upload our certificates on the document page. I thought they know that already in the UCAS website.

What do you mean by acknowledgment? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by acknowledgment? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I meant referred :colondollar: MEans that they are reviewing over my application
Sorry, I meant referred :colondollar: MEans that they are reviewing over my application

Ahh right :smile: I didn't get that from UWE? I sent mine weeks ago as well! :frown:
Ahh right :smile: I didn't get that from UWE? I sent mine weeks ago as well! :frown:

It depends on the different departments. I'm doing geography so prob your course may respond at a different time. DOn't worry :smile:
It depends on the different departments. I'm doing geography so prob your course may respond at a different time. DOn't worry :smile:

Ah I'm doing nursing so that might explain it :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending