The Student Room Group

Could a C Grade GCSE student do A-Level maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quinoa
Currently I am a D/C GCSE student and I really want and need to do A-Level maths next year. I know my grade is astonishingly bad for someone who wants to do A-Level but so far this term my maths has vastly improved(I am doing some B/A grade topics in class). I have signed up for extra help after school classes and intervention(maths help during school hours). I am really going to try and improve my grade and get at least a B. I have never been very good at maths but I am really trying.

So what are my chances of being able to do A-Level maths? Or are there any other options?

A level Maths is really hard even for (A/B) students. I know students who got an A at gcse and ended up with E's and U's. I would advisd only doing a level subjects if you have a B in them at gcse.
Original post by fuzka
Dont worry I barely scrapped a c in gcse chemistry and got a B in a level chemistry. So If you put your mind to working hard you will make it

i did horrible in my gcse chemistry and i want to take it for a level how did you do it?!
Original post by Cool-Light
The grade D/C in gcse maths isn't great - honest truth. You will struggle, there is no denial in that, but it isn't impossible. Actually everyone one struggles, even the A/A* students', they struggle too. Where they have the core knowledge to understand the easy stuff, they can whizz through that, but they'll spend majority of their time going through trig and calculus in c3/c4 and further math (those that take it). Whereas (no offence) a C grade would struggle to re-arrange x^4-3x^2+7=0, make X the subject of the formula, you can do it but it'll consume time, you may have to-do research just to learn how to this and that.. which will take-up time, and by the end of it, it might be bed time. In essence, you will most likely put a lot of hours into the subject learning the basics of how to complete the square, solving quadratics so much more, whilst your class mates are probably nailing the chapters one after the other. I'm pretty sure everyone that does A-level mathematics, or has done some-type of advanced mathematics have come across Examsolutions.net - Believe it or not, he (the host) got a C grade at GCSE mathematics - look what he's doing now, he's on some next level ting. A-level Mathematics - Easy if you do the work and understand the material. Some next level Hard Language when you don't do the work. It's your choice, you can pick it but it'll require a fair amount of effort. However if you're still doing GCSE math - I'm guessing your not in a high-set for math in your school (no offence intended), you're going to have to work independently at home and get ahead, make a check-list of what you need to learn and balance the date with the time given, and make sure you learn it. At the end of Year 10 I was at a D in GCSE Mathematics. Year 11 I got the A, I wasn't happy but meh, I just revised 1 hour a day after every 'Call of duty quick scope session'. A-level mathematics is a different story. I know people that got A/A* in GCSE Mathematics, and came out with U's and E's overall at AS math. It just goes to show that you can't day-dream in class, and sleep during the rest of the evening and expect to get an A/A* at A-level, it won't work. I don't care how 'naturally smart' you are, it won't work. It will test you, even if you slip through AS, core 4 would bite your rear-end; especially if you don't understand the content. You need to put the effort in, simple. Best of Luck. P.s. sorry for the LONG-ESSAY.

Tbh I got 3A*'s Math, Further Math and Additional Further Math with not much effort. Lol Additional was the only one I had to actually spend some time other didn't really even go to lessons. But of course when I did Imperial Math then I couldn't get away with it. Got a 2.1.
how did you convince your college/sixth form to take you on for a level chemistry because i also have a c and really want to take a level chemistry
yes same i am really puzzled because i got a c
Original post by sarah1223
i did horrible in my gcse chemistry and i want to take it for a level how did you do it?!
Reply 45
THANK YOU FOR THIS COMMENT. IT'S THE ONLY POSITIVE MOTIVATING COMMENT I'VE SEEN SO FAR. IT GIVES ME THAT LITTLE HOPE.
Appreciate it x
(edited 6 years ago)
No be realistic, you will fail and be very upset
Entirely possible for you to get a top grade at A-Level if you work at it anyone who tells you different is full of ****..
What about if schools don’t take you with that grade C in GCSEs?
I mean if you end up with a B in the real thing, you can definitely end up doing A-level maths.
Original post by Shaima41
What about if schools don’t take you with that grade C in GCSEs?

Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
I mean if you end up with a B in the real thing, you can definitely end up doing A-level maths.

please check the timestamps
Original post by yolkie
please check the timestamps

Just saw them, lol.
Would retaking maths mean that you have to retake year 11
But what if you want to do it for a levels?
Original post by numberphil01
Tbh I got 3A*'s Math, Further Math and Additional Further Math with not much effort. Lol Additional was the only one I had to actually spend some time other didn't really even go to lessons. But of course when I did Imperial Math then I couldn't get away with it. Got a 2.1.

How do you do additional further math.That sounds super hard but if my school allows it I might just drop computing for it
I got a B in GCSE maths. Came out with an A* in A-level Maths.
It's all about practise, dedication and interest in the subject.
Out of interest, what did you do for A levels and how did you get on? Yours was a great question that pops up frequently. It's always nice to know how things panned out for students in the long term. :smile:
Original post by fuzka
Dont worry I barely scrapped a c in gcse chemistry and got a B in a level chemistry. So If you put your mind to working hard you will make it

Most schools will not let a student taking a level chemistry
I don't understand how you made it?
Reply 59
Original post by Omega3!
I was a C/D GCSE student who obtained A*A*A*A in his A levels.

It's not really whether you're capable of doing A level maths, it's more whether you can convince a school / college to let you enroll with those grades.

how can you convince a school or college to let you enroll to courses with those grades. do you any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest