The Student Room Group

Languages Undergraduates 2015 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going for French and ab initio German?
I'm doing International Business and a Language, these are my firm and insurance choices:

Firm: Aston University, International Business and Modern Languages (German)
Insurance: University of Chester, International Business and German

I was considering doing ab initio Spanish in my first year outside of my course too but it might be too much work.
Original post by Tash28
Have any of you applied to do French and Spanish at Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Exeter or York? I have and am struggling to choose! Would love to talk to any potential course mates and see how you are deciding :smile:

Hi Tash28,

I'm Carly and I'm a second year student of French and Spanish at Bath!
It's great that you've applied to Bath and if you have any questions about the course, university, city, etc. to help you make your decision feel free to quote me and I'd be happy to answer them.

Carly
Reply 383
Original post by adstratt
I'm applying for Modern Languages at Newcastle, East Anglia, Kent, Sheffield and one other, haven't decided yet though! I simply love Newcastle, first choice by far. Not a fan of literature so I'm going for the ones that have little or none of it, though I have no idea about Sheffield and got no reply to the email I sent them. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which langaguages?! I'm the same. Newcastle is my firm :smile:
Original post by zozofay
Which langaguages?! I'm the same. Newcastle is my firm :smile:

French and Spanish, you? Thinking about starting another one though just as an interest if they offer that sort of thing! :smile:
Reply 385
Accepted into Glasgow to study French/Spanish!
Reply 386
Original post by adstratt
French and Spanish, you? Thinking about starting another one though just as an interest if they offer that sort of thing! :smile:

Me too! ☺️☺️
Is anyone here going to the Modern Languages post-offer open day thing at Sheffield next Wednesday?
Reply 388
I applied to Bristol to study Spanish and Russian. I received a conditional offer with the grades of ABB. I made this offer as my firm,now I just have to do my best because I really want to go there.
Woop! Got an offer for German with Language and Linguistics MA at Aberdeen :smile: Very exciting! Still waiting on all of my other choices, but hey, they have until May so I doubt they're in a rush!
I've applied to do Spanish and drama at Lancaster, Kent, and Essex. (And just theatre at two others due to grade boundaries and the fact one is a drama school) I'm worried I'm not going to cope as I'm struggling with Spanish at A Level :frown:
[QUOTE="04mcdonaldj;51130455"]Applying for single honours Spanish at Oxford (Magdalen), Southampton, Edinburgh, Leeds and Exeter :smile:[/QUOTE

what is your favourite? Have you picked a firm and insurance? I'm also applying for single honours Spanish
Original post by Summerflo
Lovely to see all these language applicants! Applying for Spanish at Leeds, Bristol, UEA, Sussex and Nottingham Trent. Predicted ABB! Just sent my application off eeek so nervous!!

What's your firm and insurance? I also applied for Spanish at Leeds and Bristol :smile:
Reply 393
Original post by OliviaFord
Applied for French & Chinese (will hopefully take up German as well) at Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield :-)

Hi! I applied for French and Chinese at Leeds and Manchester too. Have you heard anything from Manchester? Because I didn't. However, I think I am going to firm Leeds, but I was curious why it takes Manchester so long to make decisions for this course:smile:
Does anyone know how flexible Exeter is for changing course once you firm?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 395
Original post by izzie brown
Hi, I have applied for Russian at Queen Mary too, have you had an offer yet?

I applied for Russian Studies and Spanish at Edinburgh University but haven't heard from them yet...
I've applied to study French and Spanish at Bristol (first choice) and got accepted :smile: Love the languages and love the Uni so wasn't hard for me to decide at all!
Hey everyone, there were two languages applicants threads so I have merged them together . :smile: Just a heads up in case anyone is confused. :h: :woo:
Would be extremely grateful for advice as to whether I should accept an offer from Warwick or Durham for Modern languages( French, german,)..?
Original post by monspie9
Would be extremely grateful for advice as to whether I should accept an offer from Warwick or Durham for Modern languages( French, german,)..?

Hi there,

I can't help you with the actual universities, as I'm not familiar with either, but things to take into consideration would be:

Course content - how much and what sort of modules are there in aspects such as language (written and oral/aural), literature, history, culture, current affairs, etc.

Assuming there will be a year abroad as part of your course, how does it work at each university? Would you spend a full academic year in one country with holiday time spent in the other? Or would you split the academic year?

Then think about student life at each, e.g. type of campus, accommodation, clubs and societies, anything and everything that could impact your life over the length of your course.

Visiting the universities can be very helpful as it lets you get a feel for the general atmosphere as well as speaking to current students and staff, so if you have the chance to do that, it's a very worthwhile investment of your time and money.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your choice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending