The Student Room Group

Biomedical science personal statement

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to apply for biomedical science in 2015 and I'm now looking to write my personal statement. I know to include the obvious like my interests in the subjects, summer uni, voluntary work etc.

I'm hoping to study post graduate medicine after the degree and im not sure if I should include my doctor shadowing work experience or not ? also Any other idea's of what to include would be appreciated!

Adam, A Level student (Biology, chemistry, Geography)
So are you currently doing A2?
Hi, you can have a single line which says you're interested in applying for postgraduate medicine but your statement should mainly be about your academic interest in the biomedical sciences. Admissions officers shouldn't feel like you're only applying to get a place on a postgraduate medicine course. If you can make your doctor shadowing experience directly relevant to the biomedical sciences include it. If not then don't.

Talk about your academic interests in the subject giving examples from your reading and studies. You need to show an understanding of what it's like to study the subject at degree level and work in the field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well my initial plan was to apply for medicine but there is no way I'm going to 3 A's at A levels, 2 at the most! The problem is with my doctor shadowing program is as you can imagine was literally following doctors, looking at different diseases, different techniques to treatment and mainly clinical procedures and decisions. It had none of looking at the biology of these diseases in any sort of way, so I have lab experience from my summer uni course which was looking at gene damage and cancers, so im wondering if its worth including my work experience ? Any thing else I should focus on ?

Also I'am a second year student yes.
Original post by adamgcs95
Well my initial plan was to apply for medicine but there is no way I'm going to 3 A's at A levels, 2 at the most! The problem is with my doctor shadowing program is as you can imagine was literally following doctors, looking at different diseases, different techniques to treatment and mainly clinical procedures and decisions. It had none of looking at the biology of these diseases in any sort of way, so I have lab experience from my summer uni course which was looking at gene damage and cancers, so im wondering if its worth including my work experience ? Any thing else I should focus on ?

Include anything and everything that IS related with your degree of biomedics. Stay concise and if you have some space left you can include the work experience and say it helped me to build my leadership skills via x and y as I worked in the lab doing so and so. Good luck! :smile:

It sounds like your lab experience is more relevant than your experience shadowing doctors, so if you've only got space to include one or the other, I would go with that one. However, you could talk about how shadowing doctors developed your interest in the field more generally.

If you're applying for more academic biomedical science courses, then your PS should focus more on your academic interest in the subject, rather than just talking about your work experience.
It could be relevant if you interacted with some biomedical scientists while shadowing the doctor so you could talk about the role of biomedical scientists in the NHS and teamwork.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry University of York
Working towards a PhD at Queen Mary University of London

If you really want to mention it, you could say that it was interesting to see how the work of biomedicine translates to the wards in terms with the pharmacology you saw doctors using, techniques, etc. But I'd still keep it brief!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending