The Student Room Group

Care home = work experience?

For my personal statement volunteering at a care home is the only “work experience” thing I have but does this count? I’m applying to undergraduate biomedical science degrees.
Original post by mxria32
For my personal statement volunteering at a care home is the only “work experience” thing I have but does this count? I’m applying to undergraduate biomedical science degrees.

Hi @mxria32

Yes it does! So long as you can mention it and how it helped you build certain skills, or how it might relate to your degree subject, then it would be a great addition to your statement.

You could think of any transferable skills you used or gained from volunteering, and direct them towards a biomedical science perspective, for example.

But it also shows a bit more about you as a person too, perhaps an interest in working with other people, or in the care sector, so this will help your future uni know a bit more about you too.

Hope this helps!

Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Original post by mxria32

Hiya!

Yes, I would mention this in your personal statement! Personal Statements are not just about academic achievements it is great if you can incorporate personal elements as this is what will make your statement stand out and be memorable and volunteer work speaks a lot about someone’s character. As Emily mentioned even if this doesn’t directly link to biomedical science speak about the transferable skills you have learnt through this experience for example if you have experienced stress in this role perhaps this has made you more resilient or better with time management etc. In addition it would be great if you could write about anything you have experienced whilst volunteering that relates to the degree.

https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/personal-statement-extra-curricular-activities/#:~:text=These%20are%20the%20three%20main,a%20long%20period%20of%20time.

Hope this helps,

Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending