The Student Room Group

Biomedical science

Hi, I'm currently studying biology, chemistry and maths for my A-levels. I am thinking of applying for biomedical science to unis such as Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham and Manchester. My predicted grades are A*AA (could potentially be A*A*A if I ask my chemistry teacher to boost my grade up since I got a substantially high score in my AS level exam). Will I have a good chance of getting into any of these unis?
Reply 1
Original post by edamame21
Hi, I'm currently studying biology, chemistry and maths for my A-levels. I am thinking of applying for biomedical science to unis such as Bristol, Warwick, Birmingham and Manchester. My predicted grades are A*AA (could potentially be A*A*A if I ask my chemistry teacher to boost my grade up since I got a substantially high score in my AS level exam). Will I have a good chance of getting into any of these unis?

Hey! I'm also applying to biomed this year :smile: My predicted grades are AAA but I've decided to apply with AAB (just think it's more realistic than straight A's for me personally!). I'm applying to Warwick, Cardiff, Reading, Sheffield, and Exeter :biggrin: Speaking to admission officers at a variety of unis, they said that with a course as competitive as biomed they heavily value the personal statement so as long as you work on that you should be fine! As for the grades, that's literally more than the grade requirements those unis ask for so you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for replying :smile: (this is my first time asking a question on this platform). That's great to know since I was quite worried about my grades. However, I don't believe I have done enough experiences for my personal statement. All I have experience wise is volunteering for positions within my sixth form such as being an art teaching assistant and being a maths tutor for GCSE students. I have also done 2 MOOC's on astrobiology and industrial biotechnology from the university of Edinburgh and Manchester, I did some reading on a book about microorganisms such as fungi called entangled life and a book on astrobiology by Andrew May and I have done some work experience at a pharmacy and my current job (McDonalds sadly). I unfortunately haven't got the chance to do some more in depth experiences like work shadowing staff members within a hospital or lab etc. Due to my lack of experiences am I at a disadvantage even with my grades? (Also Good luck to you too! :smile:)

Original post by mai0may
Hey! I'm also applying to biomed this year :smile: My predicted grades are AAA but I've decided to apply with AAB (just think it's more realistic than straight A's for me personally!). I'm applying to Warwick, Cardiff, Reading, Sheffield, and Exeter :biggrin: Speaking to admission officers at a variety of unis, they said that with a course as competitive as biomed they heavily value the personal statement so as long as you work on that you should be fine! As for the grades, that's literally more than the grade requirements those unis ask for so you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for replying :smile: (this is my first time asking a question on this platform). That's great to know since I was quite worried about my grades. However, I don't believe I have done enough experiences for my personal statement. All I have experience wise is volunteering for positions within my sixth form such as being an art teaching assistant and being a maths tutor for GCSE students. I have also done 2 MOOC's on astrobiology and industrial biotechnology from the university of Edinburgh and Manchester, I did some reading on a book about microorganisms such as fungi called entangled life and a book on astrobiology by Andrew May and I have done some work experience at a pharmacy and my current job (McDonalds sadly). I unfortunately haven't got the chance to do some more in depth experiences like work shadowing staff members within a hospital or lab etc. Due to my lack of experiences am I at a disadvantage even with my grades? (Also Good luck to you too! :smile:)

Absolutely not!! What you've written sounds perfect for your personal statement. For mine, I did an introduction about my life on a farm, my next paragraph was my interest in Coeliac disease as it impacts me personally, and then I wrote about my subjects and how they have helped me prepare for the degree, and then I did about 3 lines on shadowing a vet and sports - so you have more than me lol. I tried to show my critical thinking and passion through examples and wider reading but honestly they'll like what you've got.

I'd definitely mention the work experience at a pharmacy, the MOOC on biotechnology is good too, and mention you read the books because that will get you brownie points. But remember to really show yourself off, say what skills you have and how you will bring them to their institution and why you'd be an asset for them. Also nowadays they look for people who aren't just academic but will be willing to take part in extracurriculars so mentioning a passion for art and volunteering will impress them :smile:

I'd love to stay in touch with you about your ucas - i don't know anyone else applying to biomed so it'd be nice to talk :biggrin:
Reply 4

Original post by mai0may

Just a word of caution if either of you are planning to become Biomedical Scientists, I don't think any of these universities have IBMS-accredited degrees (not sure about Reading as it is on the IBMS website but Reading's website does not mention any affiliation) so that will make your journey to registration very difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by JadeN92
Just a word of caution if either of you are planning to become Biomedical Scientists, I don't think any of these universities have IBMS-accredited degrees (not sure about Reading as it is on the IBMS website but Reading's website does not mention any affiliation) so that will make your journey to registration very difficult.

I spoke to Cardiff and Warwick and they said IBMS-accredited degrees limit you to the NHS whereas non-accredited degrees teach you cutting-edge research so you can go work in research clinics (I'm aware I wouldn't be able to work in the NHS with this) but I want to be apart of the latest research rather than work for the NHS :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mai0may
I spoke to Cardiff and Warwick and they said IBMS-accredited degrees limit you to the NHS whereas non-accredited degrees teach you cutting-edge research so you can go work in research clinics (I'm aware I wouldn't be able to work in the NHS with this) but I want to be apart of the latest research rather than work for the NHS :smile:

I wouldn't say it limits you, anybody with a Biomedical Science degree can work in a research lab, you would just do a placement year in industry rather than a placement year in an NHS lab. If anything, I would say a non-accredited degree limits you to only pharmaceutical/research jobs whereas accredited ones give you the choice. But if research is definitely what you want to do then your uni choices should be fine :h:
Reply 7
Original post by JadeN92
I wouldn't say it limits you, anybody with a Biomedical Science degree can work in a research lab, you would just do a placement year in industry rather than a placement year in an NHS lab. If anything, I would say a non-accredited degree limits you to only pharmaceutical/research jobs whereas accredited ones give you the choice. But if research is definitely what you want to do then your uni choices should be fine :h:

Thank you for your advice anyways, I'll definitely consider adding an IBMS accredited degree to my options in case I change my mind :smile:
I am currently studying a biomed degree. I second doing research on what you plan on doing with the degree later down the line - you'll need IBMS accreditation to work for the NHS, and getting it after a non-accredited degree is time-consuming and costly. Curate your choices well.
Reply 9
Original post by JadeN92

Same here I’d rather do research specifically in a field containing microbiology since I heard biomedical science is a better degree for microbiology than the microbiology degree itself. However, I’m also planning to hopefully go up to the University of Edinburgh to do a masters in astrobiology directly after I complete my biomedical science degree so that I could potentially go into Astro microbiology or Astrobiology research (basically Researching microorganisms/organisms from space) which might sound like a long shot but I have a strong passion for extraterrestrial life and space exploration. Is this a good idea at all?
Reply 10
Same here I’d rather do research specifically in a field containing microbiology since I heard biomedical science is a better degree for microbiology than the microbiology degree itself. However, I’m also planning to hopefully go up to the University of Edinburgh to do a masters in astrobiology directly after I complete my biomedical science degree so that I could potentially go into Astro microbiology or Astrobiology research (basically Researching microorganisms/organisms from space) which might sound like a long shot but I have a strong passion for extraterrestrial life and space exploration. Is this a good idea at all?

Wow, sounds interesting, honestly I have no idea what sort of requirements you would need for a career in astrobiology but I would imagine that any science degree would give you a decent base to build on

Quick Reply

Latest