The Student Room Group

Feeling nervous and sad about GCSE results. Any advice?

Hi guys,
There are so many of these posts that I get annoyed with them too, so I'm sorry that I have to post!
Anyway, I was diagnosed with ME in Year 10 and missed A LOT of school...same with Year 11. Had a few unfortuante events around exam time, all of my neighbours started to have intense building work, diagnosed with a really bad sinus infection and my friend had a seizure in front of me as we were going into an exam. Anyway, I came out with these G.C.S.E.'s:

IGCSE English Literature - A*
IGCSE History - A*
GCSE Geography - A*
GCSE Religious Studies - A*
IGCSE English Language - A
GCSE Biology - A
GCSE Chemistry - B
GCSE Physics - B
GCSE Geology - B
IGCSE Maths - C
IGCSE French - C.

I didn't fail anything so I'm happy and I did quite well, but I've recently been predicted BBB at A2 by my Sixth Form's ALPS test, whereas everyone else has received at least AAB (bar one with BBC). I'm really disappointed but I'm using it to work harder. I'm currently in Year 12 studying AS History, AS English Literature, AS Classical Civilisation and AS Drama and Theatre Studies (dropping next year). I'm also studying GCSE Ancient Greek.

What I'm asking is will my bad grade in Maths affect university? Are my results average? Bad? Good? I honestly don't know, they seem very sub-par compared to other people on TSR. I really want to go to Cambridge and study the four year Classics course...will I be able to?

Thank-you in advance.
Original post by Arthraxia
Hi guys,
There are so many of these posts that I get annoyed with them too, so I'm sorry that I have to post!
Anyway, I was diagnosed with ME in Year 10 and missed A LOT of school...same with Year 11. Had a few unfortuante events around exam time, all of my neighbours started to have intense building work, diagnosed with a really bad sinus infection and my friend had a seizure in front of me as we were going into an exam. Anyway, I came out with these G.C.S.E.'s:

IGCSE English Literature - A*
IGCSE History - A*
GCSE Geography - A*
GCSE Religious Studies - A*
IGCSE English Language - A
GCSE Biology - A
GCSE Chemistry - B
GCSE Physics - B
GCSE Geology - B
IGCSE Maths - C
IGCSE French - C.

I didn't fail anything so I'm happy and I did quite well, but I've recently been predicted BBB at A2 by my Sixth Form's ALPS test, whereas everyone else has received at least AAB (bar one with BBC). I'm really disappointed but I'm using it to work harder. I'm currently in Year 12 studying AS History, AS English Literature, AS Classical Civilisation and AS Drama and Theatre Studies (dropping next year). I'm also studying GCSE Ancient Greek.

What I'm asking is will my bad grade in Maths affect university? Are my results average? Bad? Good? I honestly don't know, they seem very sub-par compared to other people on TSR. I really want to go to Cambridge and study the four year Classics course...will I be able to?

Thank-you in advance.

Firstly, don't compare yourself to others on TSR for more reasons that I can be bothered to currently list :wink: If you want to compare yourself to others around you and use it as a tool to do better then that's your prerogative but don't be frustrated if it doesn't turn out to be effective!

A quick disclaimer is that I don't know anything about the entry requirements for that course, but I can't see Maths being essential for Classics. When that's not the case, usually an A*-C grade suffices at GCSE suffices and you have nothing to worry about. What would be a good idea is to browse UCAS and see what the entry requirments for Classics are - take a selection, don't just look at Oxbridge - and see if your GCSEs and A Levels fit the bill. You could even maybe use that as your motivation rather than trying to putting yourself under pressure to match your peers.
You'll be fine with those :smile:

They're good, especially considering your circumstances.

A2 Predictions will change after your get your AS Results anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest