The Student Room Group

Kanye West best rapper and hip hop artist of all time

He is the best ever. So consistent. Hasn't had one bad album.

All of these albums are 4/5 or 5/5 albums. That's consistently solid spanning over 9 years. He's changed with the genre too and hasn't fallen off. His material in MBDTF is incredible. He changed hip hop with that one album right there.

Best others still rapping:

1) Kendrick
2) J Cole
3) Schoolboy Q
4) Drake

Scroll to see replies

Winning the best rapper award is like being called first out of all the nerds and fat kids in P.E
Original post by Prince Kael'thas
Winning the best rapper award is like being called first out of all the nerds and fat kids in P.E

It's quite obvious you were always picked last tbh.
Lol no. That you think Kendrick and Drake are both in the top 4 tells it all tbh. Kendrick's an R&B artist with a mildly decent flow, and Drake's like a softcore Lil Wayne (who I'm surprised didn't make it onto your top 4 list :wink: ).

Haven't even heard of the other two, and if they're anything like Kendrick then I don't want to either. I really don't care for this "soft hip-hop" that's been all the rage recently, it's basically pop with flow. Go hard or go home.
Original post by Welsh Bluebird
It's quite obvious you were always picked last tbh.

The memories...

Original post by Prince Kael'thas
The memories...

:eek: LMAO!! You did not just do that! :rofl: What was she crying about though? :tongue:
Drake, Q, Kendrick and Cole better than Nas?

I'm out.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Lol no. That you think Kendrick and Drake are both in the top 4 tells it all tbh. Kendrick's an R&B artist with a mildly decent flow, and Drake's like a softcore Lil Wayne (who I'm surprised didn't make it onto your top 4 list :wink: ).

Haven't even heard of the other two, and if they're anything like Kendrick then I don't want to either. I really don't care for this "soft hip-hop" that's been all the rage recently, it's basically pop with flow. Go hard or go home.

1) No. Kendrick is the best active hip hop artist/rapper right now. He's called King Kendrick for a reason.

2) Drake soft core? You should listen to 5am in Toronto then give an opinion. As for a Lil Wayne comparison? REALLY?

:rofl:

The fact you haven't even heard of the other two clearly proves you haven't a clue about real rap or hip hop. You probably listen to Radio One hits in the morning on the way to nursery with your mum or something.

[video="youtube;dGd9DTTrX4U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGd9DTTrX4U[/video]

Probably too hard for you Weezy wannabe.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Drake, Q, Kendrick and Cole better than Nas?

I'm out.

NaS is about as active as the average gastric band surgery recipient.
He is the best ever. So consistent. Hasn't had one bad album.

All of these albums are 4/5 or 5/5 albums. That's consistently solid spanning over 9 years. He's changed with the genre too and hasn't fallen off. His material in MBDTF is incredible. He changed hip hop with that one album right there.

Best others still rapping:

1) Kendrick
2) J Cole
3) Schoolboy Q
4) Drake

He's the Floyd Mayweather of rap :smile:

Tbh, I just listened to 2010 album over and over, over the weekend. ****ing epic, "Runaway" and "Lost in the Woods," perfect. Pretty much every song except for ironically his hit singles like "Monster" and the ones with Kid Cudi and Swizz Beatz, hate them. The other tracks were ****ing legend :coma:

808s was the worst one ever, "Love Lockdown" is the **** though. But as far as quality no. "Flashing Lights" IS THE **** THOUGH but it was still like...I dunno, the whole sound and look just doesn't suit him, kinda corny altogether. "Stronger" was ****ing rank, seriously :nah:

Haven't heard Yeezus, is that with "Mercy?" WACK. Tbh, the only thing that's gonna destroy Kanye is ****ing Kanye. :facepalm:
As for Drake and anyone who debuted rapping after 2000, I fail to see where the talent is. They're all fake, ****ing stepsons :laugh:

But Wiley is the best British rapper, hands ****ing down.
Not a big fan of Yeezus but I love Kanye, second best live performer I've ever seen. MBDTF will go down as one of the best albums of all time.
Strange thread.
Reply 13
Seems legit...

There is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. Kendrick is easily the best rapper making music right now.
1) No. Kendrick is the best active hip hop artist/rapper right now. He's called King Kendrick for a reason.

Not by me he ain't.

2) Drake soft core? You should listen to 5am in Toronto then give an opinion. As for a Lil Wayne comparison? REALLY?

:rofl:

:awesome:

The fact you haven't even heard of the other two clearly proves you haven't a clue about real rap or hip hop. You probably listen to Radio One hits in the morning on the way to nursery with your mum or something.

[video="youtube;dGd9DTTrX4U"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGd9DTTrX4U[/video]

Probably too hard for you Weezy wannabe.

Or it proves that I'm not a hip-hop head as I generally listen to other genres of music and very rarely look out for "new" hip-hop. Most of the hip-hop I listen to consists of Wu-Tang and Immortal Technique (and their affiliates), Cypress Hill, and late 80s/early 90s gangsta rap (a lot of which ain't that great tbh, but then I'm incredibly picky and choosy with my hip-hop so go figure).

As for that video you posted; not a fan. A lot of "hip-hop" these days seems to have typically pop female vocals as an accompaniment, when there's really no need for it. If you like it, that's cool beans. But I hate it. It diverts the attention from what hip-hop should be about IMO; a good flow with sound wordplay set to a captivating backing beat, samples I can take or leave seeing as they can either enhance or detract from the song depending on how they're used.

And I'm still adamant that A$ap Rocky is an Aesop Rock wannabe :h:
Not by me he ain't.

Who do you think is?

Hard to argue against El-P IMO. RTJ2 out this month :cool:
Original post by e aí rapaz
There is so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to start. Kendrick is easily the best rapper making music right now.

I've tried to get into him (at the insistence of one of my mates) but his voice irritates the **** out of me and I'm pretty sure he uses auto-tune sometimes, which basically removes the "artist" credential from his CV as far as I'm concerned. Which may be a harsh criticism, but if he's really that good then he don't need it.

Also, that vocal effect on Backseat Freestyle? Dude sounds like he's trying to be Stephen Hawking, he should've left that **** at home.
Original post by Madd Taurusette
But Wiley is the best British rapper, hands ****ing down.

It is probably MF Doom or Slick Rick to be fair.
I've tried to get into him (at the insistence of one of my mates) but his voice irritates the **** out of me and I'm pretty sure he uses auto-tune sometimes, which basically removes the "artist" credential from his CV as far as I'm concerned. Which may be a harsh criticism, but if he's really that good then he don't need it.

Also, that vocal effect on Backseat Freestyle? Dude sounds like he's trying to be Stephen Hawking, he should've left that **** at home.

I don't really go in for purism about whether an artist occasionally uses autotune or a female vocalist on the hook or whatever (neither of which I think Kendrick does very often anyway). In terms of flow, content, wordplay, cadence... in terms of everything, Kedrick surpasses anyone in the game.

Obviously your opinion is yours and is entirely subjective, but to scoff at somebody for putting him in the current top 5 is pretty strange given that almost everyone who listens to rap would do the same.

OP is way off the mark concerning Kanye West anyway but I think he's trolling so I'm not gonna bother addressing that.

Quick Reply

Latest