The Student Room Group

Self-esteem issues due to STAMMERING

Hi guys.
So,I'm almost 18 and I have stammering.
My stammering developed from Class-2,from around 2015 when my friends would tell me that I was talking "weirdly".
Since then,it has been around 10 years,and I still stutter.
It negatively affected me.
I don't approach to people.
Even if I approach,people just ignore me later on.
I have a lot of things in my mind but I lose it all while articulating it.
There has been a lot of misunderstandings in my school due to stammering.
But that was of past.
Now that in this modern world,the communication skills are extremely important,what am I supposed to do?...

I have already gone through therapy only recently and I'm not seeing noticeable improvements.
It's like on the same levels like before.
I am nervous because I stammer,and I stammer because I'm nervous.
People tell me that I'm pretty gonna have an extremely difficult time ahead.

I really don't know what to do or say.
I feel scared and anxious.
Please any give some suggestions.
Hi, sorry about this.

Well I'm not sure if you've heard of the singer Gareth Gates (He was a runner up on Pop Idol once (the former name for The X Factor)), he spoke with a really bad stammer, but could sing perfectly. I'm not suggesting you try singing to everyone you want to speak to (that would be weird in anything other than a musical lol). But you could try doing a trick many celebrities do when they go into "Public" mode. Have an alter ego.

For example, the late singer Prince was a real introvert person who didn't like talking to people, but you'd never have guessed that from his public persona. Similarly, Beyoncé used to become "Sasha" when she performed as her sexy dance routines were often at conflict with her religious beliefs; Eminem created the character Slim Shady for all his controversial acts etc.

It can also help with dealing with rejections or any adverse reactions, as you can always tell yourself that it's the character you created that they don't like, rather than them rejecting the real you.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi, sorry about this.

Well I'm not sure if you've heard of the singer Gareth Gates (He was a runner up on Pop Idol once (the former name for The X Factor)), he spoke with a really bad stammer, but could sing perfectly. I'm not suggesting you try singing to everyone you want to speak to (that would be weird in anything other than a musical lol). But you could try doing a trick many celebrities do when they go into "Public" mode. Have an alter ego.

For example, the late singer Prince was a real introvert person who didn't like talking to people, but you'd never have guessed that from his public persona. Similarly, Beyoncé used to become "Sasha" when she performed as her sexy dance routines were often at conflict with her religious beliefs; Eminem created the character Slim Shady for all his controversial acts etc.

It can also help with dealing with rejections or any adverse reactions, as you can always tell yourself that it's the character you created that they don't like, rather than them rejecting the real you.

Thank you so much for taking time to give your insights!
Though I don't know most of them in your examples that much (Except Eminem),the alter ego thing seems fascinating.
I'll try my best to look in more detail into it!
Thank you again!
Original post by Anlasan
Thank you so much for taking time to give your insights!
Though I don't know most of them in your examples that much (Except Eminem),the alter ego thing seems fascinating.
I'll try my best to look in more detail into it!
Thank you again!

Seriously, you don't know who Beyoncé is :confused:

She's arguably the most successful female artist / songwriter of the century / millennium so far. She was in the R&B group Destiny's Child, and she's married to the Rapper / Businessman Jay Z. As for Prince, he was one of the most successful black cross-over artists of the last century (mainly 80's & 90's; alongside Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie).

As for Gareth Gates, this link shows his first audition in Pop idol; despite his stammer, he managed to finish second (Will Young won it that year). Subsequently he's talked a lot about the issues with his stammer and how he overcame it... so he may be a good figure for you to research if you want to.

(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Seriously, you don't know who Beyoncé is :confused:

She's arguably the most successful female artist / songwriter of the century / millennium so far. She was in the R&B group Destiny's Child, and she's married to the Rapper / Businessman Jay Z. As for Prince, he was one of the most successful black cross-over artists of the last century (mainly 80's & 90's; alongside Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie).

As for Gareth Gates, this link shows his first audition in Pop idol; despite his stammer, he managed to finish second (Will Young won it that year). Subsequently he's talked a lot about the issues with his stammer and how he overcame it... so he may be a good figure for you to research if you want to.

Haha! :smile:!! I knew that Beyonce is a singer but didn't quite know the history of her.And thanks for giving the link to this video! I'll definitely try watching this in my free time !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending