The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Psychology PSYA3/PSYA4 Revision Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Also also, does anyone have any good and detailed Research Methods notes they wouldn't mind sharing? I haven't touched RM hahaha.... :/
Original post by Nmys
1 - endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers - use these keywords and don't confuse them. You need to go through your essay and change where you've written exogenous pacemaker

2 - "Jetlag occurs after a rapid change in exogenous pacemakers, e.g. aeroplane travel"
Previous point, and also reword it to - Jet lag is a result of the exogenous zeitgeber that is aeroplane travel

Your AO2/3 is really good, your only issue is your AO1 and that quite major mistake (you'd lose a ridiculous amount of AO1 marks because of this, so it'll end up maybe as a band 3/4 or 5 marks)

Hope that helped :smile:

Thank you, that helps a lot :smile:
Im glad you pointed out the zeitgebers and pacemakers, i used that because in our class our teacher said we can use pacemakers on both as we were getting them muddled but obviously not! Shes a really bad teacher so ive basically had to teach most of the sleep module to myself:frown:
Original post by Alice16
Hi, I had a go at marking your essay. A02 is really good but A01 needs improving. I did write some notes on your essay for just general pointers but it did help me if you don't mind me saying.

Thanks, the notes help a lot!
My teacher is so awful pratically had to teach myself the unit:frown:
Reply 2143
Original post by Maronite
Also also, does anyone have any good and detailed Research Methods notes they wouldn't mind sharing? I haven't touched RM hahaha.... :/

Yeah has anyone got any tips for revising this? Don't even know where to start :ahee:
So many essays to learn I feel like I should neglect this altogether and wing it.
Got some predictions from my teacher for PSYA3 - Aggression, Eating Behaviour and Cognitive:
Aggression - Institutional and Group Displays
Eating Behaviour - Neural Mechanisms and Dieting (Success and Failure)
Cognitive - Kohlberg's Moral Understanding and Biological Explanations of Social Cognition.

Hope these help - she's been accurate over the years, so I'm hoping she is this time. :smile:
Reply 2145
Original post by Heatherjones77
Thank you, that helps a lot :smile:
Im glad you pointed out the zeitgebers and pacemakers, i used that because in our class our teacher said we can use pacemakers on both as we were getting them muddled but obviously not! Shes a really bad teacher so ive basically had to teach most of the sleep module to myself:frown:

Oh that sucks! Well at least you know now instead of writing that in the exam. Your teacher though.... sorry :frown:
Original post by Qui
Yeah has anyone got any tips for revising this? Don't even know where to start :ahee:
So many essays to learn I feel like I should neglect this altogether and wing it.

The issue is that it's worth the most marks in unit 4!
Anyway, here are predictions from my psychology teacher; she is correct pretty much all the time. I think we are all expecting this, but my topics seem to not always be very prevalent in the thread so here we go.

RELATIONSHIPS: maintenance, breakdown, early experiences
SLEEP: infradian, evolutionary, sleepwalking

DEPRESSION: psych explanations, bio treatments, issues with diagnosis
ADDICTION: cognitive explanations for smoking, risk factors, psychological interventions
Will do! And oooh I hope it's not evolutionary explanations... will that fall under biological explanations?

Also is biological explanations an umbrella term for hormonal/neural/evolutionary or can they specify (in terms of a 24 marker)?

They should specify. Its incredibly vague to just say biological explanations. Obviously they have said social psychological explanations, which would apply to deindividuation and social learning. But im not wholly convinced that evolutionary explanations go under biological theories..i dont know. But yeah..theyd be more specific.
Reply 2149
The issue is that it's worth the most marks in unit 4!

I know ahh... I guess they assume we know most of it from unit 1 but it's stressful. It was everyone's least favourite topic then and it still is.
Original post by Emily.97
They should specify. Its incredibly vague to just say biological explanations. Obviously they have said social psychological explanations, which would apply to deindividuation and social learning. But im not wholly convinced that evolutionary explanations go under biological theories..i dont know. But yeah..theyd be more specific.

Hmmm.. my teacher for Eating and Relationships always tells us that Evolutionary falls under Biological...
Reply 2151
Original post by cuppa
Anyway, here are predictions from my psychology teacher; she is correct pretty much all the time. I think we are all expecting this, but my topics seem to not always be very prevalent in the thread so here we go.

RELATIONSHIPS: maintenance, breakdown, early experiences
SLEEP: infradian, evolutionary, sleepwalking

DEPRESSION: psych explanations, bio treatments, issues with diagnosis
ADDICTION: cognitive explanations for smoking, risk factors, psychological interventions

Thanks for the addiction predictions :u:. Although what made her think gender dysphoria was likely? I've got it down as unlikely.
Hmmm.. my teacher for Eating and Relationships always tells us that Evolutionary falls under Biological...

Ah, okay.
Original post by Qui
Thanks for the addiction predictions :u:. Although what made her think gender dysphoria was likely? I've got it down as unlikely.

I'm not sure, but she usually goes by whether it has ever appeared/when it appeared and how many marks were given. So it must be that again :biggrin:
I'm absolutely atrocious at research questions where you have to make up your own study and all... Do they come up every year?? I've not really looked at many past papers so I haven't rly noticed

For biological explanations, evolutionary does fall under biological and they can specify for either neural or evolutionary, or just generally biological. :smile:
Original post by AtomicSammi
For biological explanations, evolutionary does fall under biological and they can specify for either neural or evolutionary, or just generally biological. :smile:

Wait what come again. I'm confused. (Eating behaviour)
If it's biological. I can talk about either/or?

+ I doubt it'll be either/or this year because Evolutionary came up last year. Disorders came up 2013. I have a feeling these 2 won't come up.
Original post by cuppa
I'm absolutely atrocious at research questions where you have to make up your own study and all... Do they come up every year?? I've not really looked at many past papers so I haven't rly noticed

They don't come up EVERY year, but there wasn't one last year if I recall my teacher saying - which means there probably will be :frown:
Original post by AtomicSammi
They don't come up EVERY year, but there wasn't one last year if I recall my teacher saying - which means there probably will be :frown:

God darn it :biggrin: I feel like I'm just too busy to be learning research methods mark schemes. I've been completely abandoning unit 4 this year I forgot the essay part even existed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cuppa
God darn it :biggrin: I feel like I'm just too busy to be learning research methods mark schemes. I've been completely abandoning unit 4 this year I forgot the essay part even existed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

YEH SAME

this RM and unit 4 is doing my HEAD in

p.s. could someone kindly explain thematic analysis kthnxbyex

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending