The Student Room Group

Higher physics 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

I am weeping copiously about sitting this prelim next month :bawling:
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
I am weeping copiously about sitting this prelim next month :bawling:

I doubt it will be that bad. New or old higher?
Original post by Higherdude
I doubt it will be that bad. New or old higher?

New higher! :frown:((
New higher! :frown:((

I am doing the old. Can't you buy the CFE higher physics model paper book to help you or a study guide?
Original post by Higherdude
I am doing the old. Can't you buy the CFE higher physics model paper book to help you or a study guide?

Study guides aren't being published until APRIL, and I'd like to 'save' the Hodder Gibson model papers for May. I'm planning to make use of the revised higher physics papers for prelim practice, as they have similar content to the new higher. Nonetheless, not feeling too confident about this... You are very lucky to be sitting the old higher!
Study guides aren't being published until APRIL, and I'd like to 'save' the Hodder Gibson model papers for May. I'm planning to make use of the revised higher physics papers for prelim practice, as they have similar content to the new higher. Nonetheless, not feeling too confident about this... You are very lucky to be sitting the old higher!

I am doing Advanced Higher CFE in 6th year. I will be disadvantaged as some of the key points from the new higher I will not know.
So, if you are planning to do AH, you'll be more prepared.
Could someone please explain the answer to 3b (i) I understand you use p1v1=p2v2 but why is the volume 250ml and not 150?

Reply 27
Effectively, the tube creates a connection with the syringe. When the plunger is pulled back it allows the gas to move into the syringe, tube and still remain in the bell jar. So the pressure will be the same as that in the syringe as it is in the the bell jar. Thus, it is basically an extension of the bell jar, creating an extra 50ml of space, to give you a total of 250ml being occupied by the gas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MartinDUFC
Could someone please explain the answer to 3b (i) I understand you use p1v1=p2v2 but why is the volume 250ml and not 150?

If you remove 50ml of air from the jar, the remaining gas will just expand to fill the jar, and the volume of the jar itself remains at 200ml. However, the jar becomes a continuous space with the syringe and the volume of the whole system is 250ml.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298
Effectively, the tube creates a connection with the syringe. When the plunger is pulled back it allows the gas to move into the syringe, tube and still remain in the bell jar. So the pressure will be the same as that in the syringe as it is in the the bell jar. Thus, it is basically an extension of the bell jar, creating an extra 50ml of space, to give you a total of 250ml being occupied by the gas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That clears things up, thank you
Reply 30
Original post by MartinDUFC
That clears things up, thank you

No problem. I'm sitting the old higher physics course this year and we've just finished it. If you have any more questions just give us a shout!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much- I've got my prelim tomorrow :colondollar: and the sqa have just published their exemplar papers for CfE highers- most of them anyways- so you can check them out although most are identical to revised higher questions you've probably already seen: think I recognised nearly all of them from my revision :s-smilie:. Good luck anyway :smile:
I'm thinking about sitting higher physics next year but I haven't done nat 5 or anything. My teachers say that it's possible to do it and get an A but very hard, I also have a friend who's sister did it. However, if you're doing it or have sat the exam, what are your thoughts on this? I kind of need an A as I want to be a vet.
Original post by megan-mci
I'm thinking about sitting higher physics next year but I haven't done nat 5 or anything. My teachers say that it's possible to do it and get an A but very hard, I also have a friend who's sister did it. However, if you're doing it or have sat the exam, what are your thoughts on this? I kind of need an A as I want to be a vet.

Probably the most important thing to be aware of is that if you're doing higher maths you DO NOT need higher physics for Vet Med only at nat 5. Also, you would be sitting the new CfE higher which has more advanced content than before so whilst it is definitely possible to get an A; provided you know the course well and put in the work it will not be the same standard as the old higher- there are some parts of the new course that have been taken from university level and may be a little harder to comprehend with no prior background in physics. However I want to reiterate that an A is certainly attainable as long as you put in the work :smile:.

Teachers say that about everything, ignore them. Its easy if you put the work in.
Thanks, I guess it's reassuring to know that I only need nat 5 physics but I think I would go in for higher anyway and if I needed to I could drop down, best to aim high and have a safety net. I'm up for a challenge and would certainly put in the work, although I should probably be revising now. However I've just signed up for TSR and it's nice to find out about the courses from other pupils/students. What do you think prompted the sqa to change the course with more advanced content?
Thanks, I guess it's reassuring to know that I only need nat 5 physics but I think I would go in for higher anyway and if I needed to I could drop down, best to aim high and have a safety net. I'm up for a challenge and would certainly put in the work, although I should probably be revising now. However I've just signed up for TSR and it's nice to find out about the courses from other pupils/students. What do you think prompted the sqa to change the course with more advanced content?

I think current s5 pupils did something bad in a past life and the sqa have it coming to us now :rolleyes: Only thing that I can think of
Original post by Treen98
I think current s5 pupils did something bad in a past life and the sqa have it coming to us now :rolleyes: Only thing that I can think of

If it is 'more advanced' as you say, it wont make any difference since the same % of pupils will get As/Bs/Cs etc.
(Original post by Treen98)
I think current s5 pupils did something bad in a past life and the sqa have it coming to us now Only thing that I can think of

Talk about karma! :wink: Anyhow, thanks for the advice!
Original post by Pennyarcade
If it is 'more advanced' as you say, it wont make any difference since the same % of pupils will get As/Bs/Cs etc.

Absolutely, but those who have no background to the course e.g. Nat 5, Standard Grade or Int 2, then they will struggle to get an A. So whilst, the same % of people will fall into the A/B/C categories the people who have done previous courses may be more likely to achieve higher grades than those who have not, simply because they will be able to build on prior knowledge :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending